1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Away We Moto: Pittsburgh to Prudhoe Bay 2017

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Ride Sally Ride, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Ride Sally Ride

Ride Sally Ride Is that what you're wearing? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hello, inmates! This husband & wife team is back at it!

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 5.22.25 PM.png

Join us (@trailer Rails and @Trailer Rails's wife ) as we ride out of our driveway in Pittsburgh, PA and dip our toes in the Arctic Ocean in Prudhoe Bay, AK!

19105721_10104845891591343_2471090047157982977_n.jpg

It's that time again!
    Time to take too much time off work, spend a flurry of money on gear upgrades and try to lose the 10 lbs I've gained since the last trip so those camping pants fit again. (What? Just me?)

But first... get to know a little more about the Jason and Sally under the helmets and take a walk down memory lane, if your stomach can handle all of the cuteness, with last year's RR about our mostly off-road trip to Yellowstone on our WR250s.

In this RR, I'll be here to update you on all of the adorable things along the way (cute couple stuff, sightings of fluffy animals that might kill us but I secretly believe I could train to be my pets if they'd give me a chance, food pics, selfies) and @trailer Rails will be here
    (in this lovely shade of brown) to update you about all of the bike and route related things that all of yinz are always asking about in RR's. Talk about the dream team, amiright? Pulitzer Prize-worthy color commentary AND the nitty gritty all in one place!

During our time together on this RR, we promise you this: We won't take ourselves too seriously and I won't post kissy pics (Blatant Lie.)

Read on for some logistics, if that map of plot points ain't enough detail to make you want to hit that "Watch Thread" link right now...
    Bville bandit and LtCrashDan like this.
  2. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    We will pull out of Pittsburgh on July 18th, head west and turn north in Montana. From there, we'll hit Banff and then turn northwest into the Yukon towards Alaska. We'll head up the Dalton, we'll head back down the Dalton and at that point, the plans are up in the air. Depending on timing, we might fly home from Anchorage or Fairbanks or we might get the bike down to Seattle or Portland and fly home from there. Unfortunately for me, I have to be back in Pittsburgh on Aug 22.

Wait, "bike?" One bike? As in a singular set of wheels?

Yup. The shark has been jumped.

IMG_6676.JPG

The little WR250s are staying home and we're hitting the road 2up on this Bavarian Money Wasting beast. It's adventure of a different sort, this year. We really have no idea what to expect in terms of how many miles we'll put down in a day (600? 400?), how the bike will perform (is that final drive gonna hold out?) and if I can sit still and not octopus Jason for 10,000 miles. It's alot of togetherness, alot of closeness, and alot of weight up high thanks to this fat bottomed girl.

What we know is this: we can successfully put down 400+ miles in a day and since we're used to two tiny bikes... we pack really light and really fast. A couple of weeks ago, we decided to do a dry run and packed the bike. It was totally willy nilly. We just flung stuff in panniers and strapped things down with Roc Straps to see how it went. 30 minutes later, we had all of our gear packed with a shocking amount of room to spare.

We took a step back from the bike and started to laugh. "Did we really just pack for Alaska in 30 minutes?" To my credit (and to the dismay of my mom), I'm a pretty low-maintenance gal these days. Give me some sunscreen, some bug repellent, a credit card and a passport and I'm good to go. I have Jason to thank for this due to his wanderlust and gypsy soul. Ya gotta pack light and be nimble with a partner like that.
    jnowako, bobframe, Bultaco206 and 5 others like this.
  3. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    Among the many things I'm excited about for our trip this year (I LOVE CHRISTMAS AND WE'RE GOING TO NORTH POLE, PEOPLE!) is our upgraded kitchen situation. As you would imagine on our mostly off-road trip last year, there wasn't much room for gour-met kitchen stuff on two WR250s and not alot of fresh food to come by in areas like this even if we did have equipment to cook it with:

sage.JPG

Sage and I have a love/hate relationship with each other now that I have memories of face planting in wild sage bushes in Wyoming last summer. But that's another story. Ironically enough, we found this cute spice rack at REI that has a preprinted "sage" label just to mock me:
    spices.JPG

We're committed to doing better than canned Dinty Moore beef stew and tuna packets with ramen noodles this year so we invested in some compact pots, pans and bowls:

IMG_7795.JPG
    Our hope is to focus on eating more fresh produce and lean meats while traveling this year since we'll be gone longer than last year and since we'll be in areas a little less remote.
    Ragin Rabbi likes this.
  4. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    In addition to some cookware upgrades, we've also got bears, bugs and booze covered:

booze.JPG

Much more packable than a glass bottle of wine or hooch.

bears.JPG
    Spend 10 minutes reading about bear spray and the armchair quarterbacks on the internet will have you believe you need to buy two of these $60 cans of spray so you have one can to practice using this rather idiot proof item and one for the trip. $60 is two manicures, guys and we live on a hill where there is almost constant breeze. So we're going to operate under two assumptions here with the bear spray: 1 - practicing at home would yield nothing more than pepper spraying ourselves and 2 - whichever of us is holding this can if we happen upon a bear is able to pull the trigger and poop their pants at the same time.

bugs.JPG

Our little 10,000 mile adventure is at the height of Alaskan State Bird season. Aka - Mosquito Swarm Time. We have the usual bug spray but we're super excited to try out this little Thermacell do-hicky too once we're camped at the end of the day. As someone who gets bitten by insects the second I go outside and as someone who has never had a bug bite I didn't want to scratch til it bleeds, I'm pretty stoked to try out this product out in the wild! It runs off the same propane fuel can we use for our camp stove.

bugs 2.JPG

Now, here's a fun fact you should know about me. I work for a startup in the fashion industry and while I can put together a fierce look fit for the runway when I need to, this mosquito head net and showering once a week while camping is much more my speed these days. Here I am modeling the latest in wearable bug repelling accessories, courtsey of Jason.
  5. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC the bear spray will be confiscated at the border....
  6. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    I've heard this happening as well if you answer "yes" to the question "do you have pepper spray?"

Loop hole if we call it bear spray instead of pepper spray?
  7. Kruzof

Kruzof independently poor

Oddometer:
    2 years ago, I had a discussion on this subject with the agent at the border crossing north of Skagway.
    At that time at least, a can clearly labeled for use against bears was OK.
    YMMV.

Good luck with your ride.
    Keep us posted.
  8. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We'll report back in approximately 20 days.
  9. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    Delightful eye candy and politically liberal hippy Justin Trudeau is letting us into the Canadian Nationals Parks for free! Eh? Oh, Canada! :viking

IMG_7800.JPG
    falcn and Ragin Rabbi like this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! Sounds like a fun trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    Kickstand goes up in less than 2 weeks!

Let's talk about something really important...

Coffee on the road.

Taster's Choice instant crystals. Oh yeah.

IMG_7808.JPG
    It ain't fancy, but neither are we.
    Animal Instinct and RevyRider like this.
  12. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    Jason picked up a giant top box from the OO of our Bavarian Money Waster last week so my assignment today was to put it on and see if I could sit in the same position with the box as I do with the backrest.

The answer is yes, with room to spare. The amount of space we have now with the top box, the panniers and the tank bag means maybe we can raffle off a seat for someone else to join us! Srsly, there's that much space.

Here's my view from the cheap (cheat?) seat:

IMG_7841 2.JPG

I'm running out of things to tease you all with as we're about one week out from departure so I told Jason this morning that he needs to get in on the action here on our fledging RR so it's more legit... and so everything isn't pink. I wonder what color he'll pick for his posts?

If he doesn't pipe up soon, I'm going to start talking about women's riding gear, a topic about which I have lots of opinions. (H/T to Fieldsheer for making the only waterproof, abrasion resistant pants I've ever found that fit my badonk.)
    falcn likes this.
  13. NorthPole

NorthPole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will need to check into that park pass. Wheels rolling in 3 weeks as I head south for most of August. Thanks for that heads up.
  14. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
  15. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
  16. NorthPole

NorthPole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I am. Have lived up here for 20 years.
    dtysdalx2 and Ride Sally Ride like this.
  17. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't answer as to comfort and fit for the female anatomy, but I'm certainly happy with Moto-Skiveez for men...I don't even pack any other underwear even for around camp...they are just too darn comfortable, especially in hot, muggy weather...just my 2 cents..
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  18. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! Jason and I are both total Moto Skiveez loyalists as well. I concur with everything you said. So much better than regular undies and much more comfortable than traditional bicycle shorts. They also make for a makeshift bathing suit with a sports bra in a pinch!
  19. doc4216

doc4216 Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!! This is going to be an amazing RR!
    b56tc and Ride Sally Ride like this.
  20. Ride Sally Ride

Oddometer:
    Yay! Thanks for tagging along!
    Bultaco206 likes this.