Awesome twisties in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by rogerdodger, Sep 20, 2011.

1. rogerdodger

rogerdodger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I havent posted a ride in a while. About a month ago I was in Kuala Lumpur and wondering what I could do for a day. I've been in touch by email to Feizal the guy that runs Malaysian Motorcycles Getaways. http://www.ridemalaysia.com.my/ I've been trying to persuade him to rent me a bike to ride at one of the track days at Sepang. So far unsuccessfully, but I think he is starting to crack! He did offer me a day riding with him and his boys. It turned out to be an incredible day. Great bike, great guys, and absolutely amazing roads.

It was to be a long day as we needed to do nearly 700km in a day to complete the loop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    More later.
  2. Spartandude

Spartandude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks interesting. Looking forward to reading this.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thread title fixed... Not twitties, not titties... twisites.. aha! :lol3
  4. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Hey you never know when titties might accidentally slip in though.
    [​IMG]
  5. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Titties.......
  6. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Malaysia is a really interesting country. They have certainly grasped the western world cultures in many ways, but its still got that Asian flavor. One thing you see a lot of in Asia is the use of the backward jacket while riding. It really does make sense. It's stinking hot, so you don't want to totally put your jacket on, but you want the protection from dirt and the elements.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im not sure this is for me though, Im going wear my jacket in the standard way for this ride.
    [​IMG]
  7. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner

Oddometer:
    thanks for bringing this part of the world to us
    looks like a great ride
    appreciate that you shared with us
  8. rogerdodger

Oddometer:

Ur thanks but I havent even started yet! :D

There is still 700km of this to go
    [​IMG]
  9. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the delay on this post. Been traveling and no time for internet. I'll try and get it all finished in the next day or two.

Ok so the day before I went on this ride, I met up with Feizal at his offices. We went over our route and the legal stuff and then got kitted out with gear. I hadn't brought anything, but Feizal had had a good selection of helmets, gloves, jacket and even a rain suit.

After leaving Feizal I thought Id spend the rest of the day checking out a bike shop I'd heard about. Naza is the largest dealer in Malaysia and very impressive.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Malaysia, like all Asian countries, there is a huge import tax. On motorcycles its over a 100% !! It means that only the rich ride large engine motorcycles. There seems to be a lot of rich motorcyclists in Malaysia.

[​IMG]
    Yup crazy price indeed! That's $25,000 for a Honda CBR 1000 or Gixxer 1000.

Seems like it doesn't stop people buying them though.
    [​IMG]
  10. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    The next day started early. I had to take a train, then cab over to the offices of MMG, where they had my bike and gear. Fiezal showed up on time and the others arrived shortly after. As we kitted up the sky's darkened and sure enough, as we started our engines down came the rain. I was riding the Kawasaki 650 Versys. I really grew to love this bike. It rides in a comfortable touring position, but is equally at home throwing it into the corners. For the huge day we had of over 700km, I was never tired on this bike.
    [​IMG]

It started out light, but within minutes was coming down in sheets. Our first stop was to gas up. No one even mentioned the weather! This is South East Asia and riding in rain is just part of life. I actually like riding in rain. You can only get so wet and then you can't get any wetter. Gas is really cheap here. I think I filled up for about $5.

[​IMG]

We had to get round Kuala Lumpur and so it was on to the motorway next. Even in the pouring rain we split lanes and flew through the traffic. Big bikes are kings of the road here. Because of the high price of motorcycles, people know that anyone on a big bike must have money, and anyone with money in Malaysia must know important people, and in Asia it's best not to piss off people who know important people! So as we rolled along, traffic would part like Moses parting the sea.

The rain was cooling, and as we climbed into the mountains just north of KL it became decidedly chilly! Our next stop is for a bit of breakfast and a hot Milo, the chocolate drink that is all over SEA. Hot chocolate is a first for me on a motorcycle ride, but it went down a treat along with the spicy breakfast.

Here's the whole company of Malaysian Motorcycle Getaways.
    [​IMG]

The remarkable thing about these guys is their love of motorcycling. They all come from high exec jobs and the tour company is just a side thing. It makes for really fun rides because these guys really want you to enjoy your trip. Where else would the whole company all come out for a ride, just to show you a good time!
  11. griffin146

griffin146 Coming in Hot.....

Oddometer:
    Hey , my buddy Nik is there . fellow FJR pilot. Some of the shots look like his signature style. :freaky
    The choice of route is really good , hope the weather improved on your ride .
  12. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Yup thats Nik What a great guy he is! And yes that's a couple of his pictures I used. He was taking pictures on this ride, so I'll post a few more later on too!
  13. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Our breakfast stop is a popular place for weekend traffic coming out of K/L to escape the heat, and even cyclists testing themselves on the big mountain climbs to Genting mountain resort. We skipped this section as it was still wet and wouldn't be much fun on the tight switch backs. We suited back up in what was now a light rain and headed north.
    [​IMG]

Feizal had said that as we headed north over one mountain range it would likely dry out. He was right! The rain hadn't made it over the mountains, and it was dry and sunny, and now at this elevation it was a cool temp, perfect riding weather!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Somewhere along the route one of the guys indicated to Nik that something had fallen from his bike. We pulled over and found it was his phone that had fallen from his helmet. We went back to look for it, but Nik didn't seem to bothered. Turns out its an old phone that he got plenty of ribbing from the other guys over, and now was the perfect excuse to upgrade to a new Iphone!
    [​IMG]

Some amazing fast sweepers that just went on forever. I had a smile that I could hardly contain in my helmet. The was no traffic, no cops, just beautiful flowing turn after turn. We pulled up on a bridge to take in the view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Gaston Gagne

Gaston Gagne Past Easy

Oddometer:
    Wow, that new Versys looks awesome. Those roads look like a lot of fun as well. Are the roads as car free as your pictures suggest?

Looks nice and warm, too.

Thanks for posting your trip.
  16. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Yes to everything you said! The Versys is a really fun bike. I felt really comfortable throwing it into the corners. The road we took is a little back road that is off the main route to Camaron Highlands, a popular town that you will see was packed with tourists. It really was that deserted, but that's not to say you didn't get the odd vehicle coming round a corner the opposite way, right when you were fully leaned into the turn and not expecting it.
  17. RedRockRider

RedRockRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lookin' good. Nice pics, so far. Gotta love the V. Great bike for titties, I mean twisties! :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  18. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately..or fortunately! I only got to try it on the latter. :evil
  19. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    After a couple more hours riding higher and higher into the mountains, we stop at a roadside cafe for another Milo break and a chance to dry out our socks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. rogerdodger

Oddometer:
    Still the great roads continue, as we climb higher and higher. I'm actually zipping up my jacket now and cold!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]