Awesome Utah Dual Sport Roulette

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by gpskevin, Oct 8, 2006.

1. gpskevin

gpskevin gpsKevin

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    Ok I have been leading rides in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Utah</st1:place></st1:State> for about 20 years now, and so I thought I had been to most of the great places. Three years ago I started leading a yearly ride I called the Roulette. The rules of the Roulette are that we can never repeat a great ride or any ride for that matter. We must discover all new routes each year. We have discovered 7 great rides in the <st1:place><st1:placeName>Henry</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName>Mountains</st1:placeName></st1:place>, San Rafael Swell, Canyonlands Maze, and Arapeen ATV System. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    So having just returned I must say it was one of the best of my life. In keeping with the rules of the Roulette (never repeat a great ride) I am giving away all the details of the ride including: <st1:stockticker>GPS</st1:stockticker>, maps, pictures and lodging info. After all I will be doing a new one next year which must be all new routes again. So that others may enjoy this ride without all the planning work I have made a web page with all the stories and information.

<o:p>http://gpskevin.googlepages.com/roulette72</o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG] </o:p>
    As much of this ride is in the mountains, I recommend that this ride be done in the late summer or fall. If you get a chance to do this ride yourself, drop me a email and let me know how you enjoyed it.<o:p></o:p>
    gpsKevin<o:p></o:p>
  2. John E Davies

John E Davies Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome - thanks for posting. I love that part of the US.

John Davies
    Spokane WA
  3. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the data,any more is always appreciated(20 yrs!).I am currently putting together some routes into areas that I have not been to,using a book "Utah Byways"by Tony Huegel.It has some good info aimed towards the 4x4 crowd.Your post helps out for a future ride(s).
  4. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    of Teasdale in late October. Obviously you boys were busy! We want to get into the Henry mountains and the north area of the swell next. Excellent!

chuck
  5. canpile

canpile Trail User

Oddometer:
    That's great!! Thanks for sharing this. It will come in handy when I get out there sometime, hopefully soon.
  6. KenR

KenR Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a fantastic write up. I WILL be doing some of those routes in Spring and Summer. Thank you, thank you.
  7. Zerodog

Zerodog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride! I will be using a few of those routes sometime. I love the 1st day when you guys rode the Maze area. I missed out on a ride there this fall. This spring I think I am going to hit it though.
  8. TARider

TARider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on doing some of the ride routes Mid May 07. Any Utah Riders out there?. What's the snow level like? I've checked several weather sites and they claim it has been a below average season. Many of the routes cross mountain passes of 10k+ feet. Are we pushing our luck trying these routes during May? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oscar
  9. Paramtn

Paramtn NeverSurrender

Oddometer:
    Tarider
    We have still been getting snow this week in the higher elevations. We are usually camping fairly high in the mountains by this time of year. We are due for a warming trend next week but I think it will probably be june before the higher elevations are clear for travel. I would just call the forest service or BLM office of areas you wish to travel for update as you get closer to departure.

Ted Utah Res
  10. TARider

TARider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    tfraughton thanks for the response, but we did the ride last year. Had us a great time til I dislocated my elbow down in 5 Miles of Hell trail. :D

11. gpskevin

gpskevin gpsKevin

Oddometer:
    Let me remind you that it is the best time of the year now to do these utah rides yourself. Let me know if you do and how great it was.