Ayuh - the Maine Dual Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by boulet_boulet, Jun 28, 2018.

1. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if there is interest in a thread about dual-sporting in Maine? Photos and maps from great rides, camping trip reports, tips on places to get help, places to avoid, non bike-specific info, advice for others who visit our state, etc. are all things I am eager to read about here. Any interest?
    CAW, Ibraz and Grinnin like this.
  2. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, OK, I'll start. Jeez, twist my arm.
    Last weekend, my buddy and I took a fun ride beginning in Lagrange, riding the rail bed up to Schoodic Lake, towards Millinocket and back down around the other side of the lake:
    Schoodic_lake_etc.jpg
    Lots of variety on this ride, from fast, swoopy rail bed trail to challenging climbs and some navigation challenges. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Towards the Northeast part of the lake we got into a trail that seemed to just end, just into Passamaquoddy territory, so we turned around. GPS was pretty useful here.
    IMG-5797.JPG
    IMG-5796.JPG
    Lunch on the edge of Cedar Lake was nice.
    IMG-5793.JPG
    The loop on the west side of the map above was around Schoodic Mountain, which was a real highlight of the day. Note, this is not the only Schoodic Mountain in Maine. the other is near Franklin off the Downeast Sunrise trail.

Ride was just over 100 miles and took a 7 hours to complete with lots of stops and breaks.

In case you want to see the terrain, the ride was inspired in part by this video, which was very helpful:
    Old School Rider and rubline like this.
  3. BMgreenmt

BMgreenmt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice video. I'd have to go with someone that knows the way or I'd still be out there in December!
  4. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm headed to Maine in a month or two. Probably a five day trip.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/display/20180629050446-09230-map.html

That's the route I'm taking from the White Mountains. Only thing that worries me is hitting a closed road or a No Motorcycles Allowed sign.

Included the GPX file.

Looking it over, there is Great Works Stream and Kingsbury Rd crosses it. Hrm. Not sure how that will work.

Attached Files:

Old School Rider likes this.
  5. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's a new ATV trail that's not on the Maine ATV maps printed just last month. It's a loop around Schoodic Mtn in Piscataquis County (not the Schoodic Mtn in Hancock County). Looks to be motorcycle legal. Plenty of up and down through a few rocks (23% grade).

I've included a GPX file with the loop and some of the north/south trail that it's connected to. That trail is also fairly interesting.

EDIT: Short loop. This is only 5 miles all the way around. I post it not so you can spend your day there, but because it's legal and not on a map.

Attached Files:

6. Romy

Romy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes! I will follow this thread. I would love to see some more content for us dirt oriented adventurers.
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  7. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking over my route from Aroostocook to Camden, I'm going to have to rethink it. There's a stream/river/brook thing I have to cross. I'm not going that crazy. Especially on a ~300 mile 8h day trip, I don't want to have to backtrack and find another way.
  8. bumprd

bumprd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there any off-pavement riding around Bar Harbor? I'll be up in August with my daughter and her fiance and might have a free day to ride while they're shopping. Otherwise I'll just leave the bike at home.
  9. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    As far as I know, there is almost nothing on MDI. However the Downeast Sunrise Trail is a nice experience. It begins in Ellsworth (behind the LL Bean Outlet) and goes for 88 or so miles. Weekdays are best and it can be dusty. http://www.sunrisetrail.org/
    Enjoy your visit!
    mbt and nk14zp like this.
  10. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gi
    Give us your tips for some great rides!
  11. Romy

Romy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lately I seem to have a near-death experience every time I am riding on the street. So, I sold my cruiser and got a 2nd dualsport. I now have my plated XR400 and a TW200. The XR4 is great. I take that whenever I'm meeting up with folks from the forum or FB groups. If I'm alone or riding with the wife, my weapon of choice is the T-Dub. I can go greater distances put-putting around on that with far less fatigue than what it takes to keep the XR4 upright. As a seasoned (older) rider I mostly do 1/2 day trail rides around southern Maine. 50-75 miles is about all I do. I try to stick to trails and gravel roads as much as I can. The Hollis trail-head is 6 miles from home. From there, I can get to Waterboro, Limington, Baldwin, Steep Falls and Standish trail systems, mostly ATV trails with a few gravel roads and a couple paved connectors. I'm usually up early and back by lunchtime so I miss most of the UTVs and other yahoo's on the trails and get back before the heat of the day. I got back from this morning's ride, quite muddy after all the rain:
    [​IMG]
    Se7en, Bhart89, ogklx400 and 2 others like this.
  12. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used to think I didn't see many ATVs because I was a pretty strict weekday rider. Now I ride on weekends and think that ATVs use a few trails heavily and don't use most trails much at all.

Rode yesterday on trails from Milo to Millinocket with some detours and another trail closer to home. I can think of only 5 ATVs on the trails. A single person at about 9:00 am, a couple tandem on an ATV at 10:42, and a group of 2 ATVs and a motorcycle at 11:15.

Rode 84 miles of trail on a Saturday in June getting back onto pavement at 2:19 and almost no other traffic.

I do know that getting on the Downeast Sunrise trail on a weekend can be very different with lots of groups of ATVs. Other rail trails seem to also have lots of ATVs and groups of ATVs.
  13. bumprd

bumprd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That doesn't look too far away. Will have to see if I can work it in.
  14. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Another updated trip through Maine. 1,119 miles in total. Four nights. Five days. Leave on a Sunday morning so majority of the trip is a weekday. Only part that has me :hmmmmm is the Aroostook to the coast leg.
  15. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    That last leg, from Bangor to the coast will be the busiest. Southwest Harbor, though on the "quiet side" of the island, will also be pretty busy--but Acadia is a stunning place (IMO). If you are in need of lodging, make sure your reservations are in place, whether camping or hotel.
    The leg from Belfast to Waterville and Skowhegan will be nice, rolling country, with sparsely populated farm areas (where some Amish are settling these days).
    Have fun.
  16. Schmokel

Schmokel Long timer

Oddometer:
    Duly noted. I'll be hammocking with no intentions of reservations. From Aroostook on, I'm sort of winging it. If I start to get tired, I'll start punching in "campgrounds" into OSM and see where it leads to. Not a real fan of the coast either, so I may not even make it that far before I turn and head inland.
  17. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a totally excellent solo ride on rail bed, woods, through the edge of corn fields and down some country roads around Newport, Corinna, Garland, Exeter, Dexter, Corinth today. Lots of variety on this ride. Had lunch under a maple tree at the Abbot Mem'l Library in Dexter. 160 miles total, about 60 off pavement. Here are those 60 miles that were most interesting. I missed my riding buddy, who was feeling unfortunately responsible and chore-oriented today. A good time was had by one.
    Newport etc.jpg

A nice view on a back road
    IMG-5860.JPG
    GPX attached.

Attached Files:

Romy likes this.
  18. Mike944

Mike944 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following
  19. Klinc207

Klinc207 To PERU!

Oddometer:
    Anybody want to ride today?!
    boulet_boulet likes this.
  20. Jakpine

Jakpine n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello... where do I get a map of the trails you speak about below... they're nearby me. Thx!