1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

AZ - Any Interest in a Skills & Ride Day at Sycamore?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Yardstick, Dec 2, 2015.

1. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    lamotovita is a very talented rider that was making everything look so easy............a big thumbs up :thumb
    Sledred likes this.
  2. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looked like fun was had by all... Rattlecan what kind of fat bike are you riding - couldn't make out the brand.
  3. rattlecan

rattlecan Caffeine Driven

Oddometer:
    It's a Framed Alaskan Carbon with Stan's Hugo 52 wheels and Surly Nate tires. 29lbs.
  4. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rattle - sounds sweet but not cheap $$$$. Tubeless? 1x or 2x?
  5. rattlecan

Oddometer:
    Tubeless, 2x10 . So worth the health/fun benefits. I'm sure it will add a few years to my life, if I don't fall off something.
  6. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once He is back on his mc he might trade you for your KTM! Of course you would have to throw in a little cash:D
    rattlecan likes this.
  7. Sledred

Sledred Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sound's about right! I need to get on my mtb as well - they're fun and definitely help with getting and staying healthier...
  8. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
  9. rattlecan

Oddometer:
  10. ewilly

ewilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HI Guys - Great to see you are all still riding consistent! I took a haiatus and have been mt biking for the last 4 years but just put a 2000 Gasgas ec300 together so I can come out and play with you occasionally again. I know I am looking forward to it. This skills day would have been a great re-entry for me but bike is not quite ready. Hope to do a shakedown ride local tomorrow.
  11. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

i keep thinkin bout building a fat bike,,, then a 29'er, then a fatbike,,,, between all the other bikes and parts i can put just about anything together once i decide on tire size.

i built this play bike a few yrs ago,, its 1x9, i have the dropouts to convert to 29'er,,, so i think thats what i'll do with this bike,,, then use the forks and wheelset to build my favorite FS bike back up, and THEN look into building a fatty.

heres the play bike i prolly woulda taken last sat., rode it up the az trail from washington park for this pic,,, talk about burning legs and lungs
    [​IMG]
  12. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    How about something in between, like 27+! I like the look and the advantages in theory. Still need to ride one.
  13. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    yes you do,,, i've ridden a couple and its a noticeably nicer roll. better or not depends on the end game i suppose. but for cross country and moderate all mountain riding, i think its the ticket.
  14. rattlecan

Oddometer:
    I got a 27.5+ wheelset built for my Giant 29er. They slip right on without any frame mods. I love the softer roll and great traction on climbs. They did add 2lbs. to the bike, so that's the drawback. The 2lbs wouldn't be such a big deal, but I need all the help I can get climbing. It's pretty much a miracle I can mtn bike at all. The fat tire bike gives you a whole other dimension in what you'll ride over. Things I would normally go around, I ride through on purpose, ie. sand, rock gardens, no trail at all, snow etc.
  15. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    owned a hanabrink back in the day,,, that was the bike for sand, snow and mud. wish i never sold it.
    refokus likes this.
  16. rattlecan

Oddometer:
    Had to look that one up. Those look like a blast!
    refokus likes this.
  17. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    I just googled this bike as well........very cool.
  18. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    that hanabrink was strange to ride until you got used to it,,, i think the current fatbike is a better option overall for that type of thing.