AZ High County Rides, 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by AZ Africa Twin, Jan 26, 2020.

1. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    DFE6F478-1176-4B3A-BA51-AC627BEED34A.jpeg

I only put light gear in that top box especially with the Roto Pak with 2 gal of fuel. I also added some aluminum supports. I saw pics of the snapped tail pieces, and tested my set up in some rough country before trusting it up in Utah. The box comes off with 4 bolts and I use it mostly on graded Forest Roads. For Moab and the CO BDR the box comes off and the fuel pak goes on the tail rack.

Riding Diamond Creek will probably just be a day trip for us. Probably camping Off the reservation.

No wonder they wanted to arrest 2Spot he looks like a Skinwalker, shapeshifter, sort of evil dude!
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    hahahaha, but its true.

hey did it look like rattlesnake canyon was closed permanently? they close the gate in winter on both ends for the "quite area" but its usually open all summer. you wouldnt want the big bike back there, its a rough one,,, but very, very nice.
  3. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Is it still cold up there?
  4. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:

The snow stayed to the south of us. Prescott got it and I traveled south today and it was white along I-17 from Camp Verde almost to Black Canyon City. The peaks down there were still snow covered when I drove back this evening. It was in the 20s when I left and it is 35 this evening.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  5. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:

The access to Rattlesnake was closed and I think it has been that way since I remember. I’ve looked for shed elk antlers there and the gates are always closed. I could access the north side of the canyon on my quad from I-17 near the overlook but that has been permanently blocked off. It also used to be marked as a quiet area but now has no access.
  6. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    thats interesting,,, ive been riding it off and on for a dozen years or more.
  7. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:

Were you accessing it off of Stoneman, west of the lake?
  8. 2 SPOT

Oddometer:
    depending on my direction, north or south, i'd access from both ends.

checked into it last night and found that its tempororily closed for damage, it would normally be open for motorized this time of year,, so, i hope it is indeed temp.
  9. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    No riding for me, it snowed again and I’m still waiting on a USB port to mount on the rear of the bike. While the bike was tore down, front and back, It was a good time to work on it.

14C339DB-F663-4948-83D3-50A763ACB9F8.jpeg

Got a lot done, added a USB to where my 12 volt socket was, and cleaned the air filters of all that Utah dust AZ Mt. Thumper made me eat. A lot of disassembling just to get to them! Yes that is panty hose at the end of my air box snorkel. She is a sexy girl!

36609ECC-DCAE-4D9C-92E0-27B5553DC76C.jpeg

1C1F2D81-E0E7-4AC0-A6EC-8868C3062942.jpeg

Toughest part was getting the crash bars back on. The Alt Rider tolerances are pretty tight. It took some tweaking, loosening/tightening, to get it all matched up again.

Added an Eastern Beaver fuse block and a rear tail light flasher. Hope I never have to change the bulbs in the tail light, looks impossible!

F438F234-DF20-4B36-A8AD-01770529FD0F.jpeg

2FAE0054-7E95-4D20-B619-308B358D2381.jpeg

114596A2-7420-4EA5-A701-8F11A4075E1D.jpeg

The winter weather may keep me off the bike a little longer but she is going to be ready for another great year of Southwest riding. Yee Haw!

:dllama:
    Amphib, 2 SPOT, AzMtnThumper and 2 others like this.
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    We lived in Scottsdale with our young family in the 1980's. We always knew we'd be back. After 20 years in Boston my wife moved back first after our youngest son left for college. I made it here after finally retiring in 2018. It's a totally different way of life than the Northeast. The riding is very different too but still spectacular... Just not that green. You have to like the wide open dry landscapes of the southwest. While I like the entire west for exploring aboard my motorcycles, my fave is southern Utah. Of course its too hot July and August so for those months we have a small place in the high Sierras near Lake Tahoe. Great quality of life as you can see from this excellent thread.
    btrrtlwtr and AZ Africa Twin like this.
  11. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great pictures and ride reports! I have fond memories of flying that area in the early 90s. I've always hoped to get back there with the moto, and now I appreciate more of what I was missing.

In case you're curious, here's what the route east to Sedona looked like from a hang glider at 10,000' back in 1991.

x33r60_1991Mingus0003.jpg x33r60_1991Mingus0008.jpg

but you're getting a much better view... and getting to see much more... from a bike. I envy you!
  12. AZ Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    In case you're curious, here's what the route east to Sedona looked like from a hang glider at 10,000' back in 1991.

View attachment 2153428 View attachment 2153429

but you're getting a much better view... and getting to see much more... from a bike. I envy you![/QUOTE]

Your braver than I am to hang glide and then land at the Sedona airport! I’ll stick to falling off the bike!
  13. DesertPilot

DesertPilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been dying to know what all the things I never had a chance to see look like. I only had a chance for a few piffling 20-45 mile flights from Mingus, during which I was often too busy trying to stay right-side up to appreciate what was around me. I've been reading your ride reports thinking, "Aargh, look at all the things I missed! Whatever was I thinking!"

Do you ever ride the region that's due north of Prescott? What's up there? It was terra incognita for us, and I've always wondered...
    chasbo likes this.