Az. to Colorado and beyond

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AZQKR, Jul 14, 2020.

1. AZQKR

AZQKR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Leaving 6am on the 23rd from Az., headed to the Denver area. Looks to be about 424 miles to Durango where I plan to make my first nights stop. Then on to my brothers near Denver which looks like 245 miles.

Any members in the Durango area have any recommendations on accommodations availability for motels/rooms?. Must see things the next morning before I ride off toward Denver?

Thanks in advance.
  2. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's somewhat busy here in Durango right now with all of you AZ and TX folks, but there's some inexpensive motels on the north side of town. Follow 550 on north main and look for motels between 20th and 36th streets along main.
    I might suggest an irregular route to Denver. I'm guessing you 245 miles is taking 160 east to Del Norte, then north to 285 and Poncha Pass, etc.
    Try 550 north to Montrose, 50 east to Gunnison, then up past Taylor Reservoir and over Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista, then hook up with 285. Might add an hour or two. If you have an extra hour or so and are taking this route, head west on 92 (from 50 between Montrose and Gunnison) and just go out for half an hour and back. You won't regret it.
    Things to see here? Well, lots of Texans and Arizonans.....
    AZQKR likes this.