AZ traffic enforcement cameras

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Rat Bones, Jul 2, 2008.

1. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I'm shocked in gun happy USA there haven't been any sniper attacks on them :)

So just curious .... can you get two tickets in the states if you run a red light? I mean if a cop sees you I'm sure he'll write you a ticket, and then do you get an additional 1 in the mail?
  2. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:

Maybe not in the US, but check this out:

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/gatso2a.htm
  3. Taquito

Taquito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are a variety and defenses and counter-offenses. Check out ticketassassin.com - it's very California specific but it should be a decent reference for all.

Basically one defense involves the speed rating for the road must be based on objective facts, like a traffic survey by the transit authority (CalTrans in CA). The 85th percentile of speed determines what the speed limit is (subject to the basic speed laws, and maximum speed laws). But if the traffic survey wasn't performed within in the last 36 months, or the speed limit chosen is arbitrarily low (35 mph) it's a 'speed trap' and your ticket may/should be thrown out. (Yeah doesn't always work, but it works often enough!).

Secondly, if the owner-operator of the cameras is not a governmental agency... that opens a whole can of worms - because their motive is a percentage of operations (aka 'tax farming'), not "public safety".

In the case of San Diego, California, the owner-operator of the red light cameras was Lockheed Martin and they received approx $70 for every red light ticket they wrote. The legal case/summary can be read here:
    http://www.highwayrobbery.net/TickRedCamArmeycasessdmotion.asp

But again I'm inclined to leave the red light cameras in place, because I know people who's children have been run over and killed in crosswalks by red light runners (I won't ride my bicycle on the road to this day). But its the roving speed cameras that I'm on the lookout for.

Hey I always drive the speed limit... and stop at reds and watch my mirrors and sides... so the whole discussion is mostly academic. :evil
  4. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've updated the gpx file that Ratbones posted with locations of the new DPS speed cameras on the freeways. Coming soon to the east side, already installed on the west side.

I've also categorized them into two categories, so I can keep track of them easier.

JC, Double plus un-good poster

Attached Files:

5. Rat Bones

Rat Bones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks Jim, I was going to do the same.
  6. AZcacti

AZcacti Dope on a Rope

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys...:clap
  7. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Callipygian Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed this weekend while out in the west valley that the locations are no complete for the southbound 101. There's a fixed camera at Indian School (I think) and one just at the stack with I-10. I need to get out there again and check the exact locations. If anyone has corrections, post 'em here.

JC
  8. me109g4

me109g4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how about late night raids on cameras with a can of spray paint???
  9. Rat Bones

Oddometer:
    I was thinking a sledge to the flash....

I went thru a few this weekend, and a couple were not exact, the one heading north 17 was about a mile or so off. They were still out installing them. I will fix a couple when I have the chance to verify. I think one on the 60 was off. I , marked it on the GPS, but I had an issue so need to re mark .

so if anyone is willing to mark there positions please update and thx jim
  10. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    I received the following email today :

11. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  12. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    I think I got nabbed with the one on Rural coming out from ASU.

It's a fucking side road! :becca

I saw the flash, looked down at the GPS and noticed I was going 47mph. So I guess that the road is marked at 35 (?)

these things are annoying.
  13. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:

I LOVE what this guy did, I know it has been around for years but it is great.
    They need to make kids read "1984" in school still, doesn't matter about the year in the title, we are working our way there and the U.K. seems to be leading the way. I know we sent people there to check the system out after 9-11.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/npM-tWbyyiI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/npM-tWbyyiI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  14. Rat Bones

Oddometer:
    The problem with that one cyberdos is that there are two if them right there, one is a red light camera at the intersection of University and rural, and then a speed camera north of it on rural. I do not remember if the speed camera is north and south, but I remember it heading south on rural.
  15. amir_zwara

amir_zwara Versys

Oddometer:
    There is a red light camera at rural and university, and then north of that before the next light (rio salado), there are speed cameras for both northbound and southbound traffic on rural... the speed limit it 35, but those cameras have triggered on me at times when i'm going under 30!
    never recived a ticket though...
  16. baldwithglasses

baldwithglasses Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer:
    I can't tell you how many times I got popped by the one on Shea on the way out to Fountain Hills and the Beeline.

Of course, my bike had at the time out-of-state plates that were covered with grime, dust, and filth.

Haven't heard a thing about it, and I haven't been back in the Valley since July.

Of course, when I got pulled over by one of Scottsdale's Finest on an RTP1100, I had nuthin'. It was also the chief moto instructor, too... I ended up paying for that one.
  17. cyberdos

Oddometer:
  18. cyberdos

Oddometer:
  19. Rat Bones

Oddometer:
    I guess that answers the question,

"criminal damage, interference with a traffic control device and criminal trespass."

:eek1
  20. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    who here gets tickets on their bikes?

i have yet to receive one in the mail when on the bike.

i wish i could say the same for the car.