AZ Vacation

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Johnny Drunkard, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    So, I packed up the wee-Strom and the dog (in the truck) and headed south to Phoenix for the Holidays. Figured I'd get some riding in and spend Xmas w/ the family.

Managed to get in a few rides so far and its raining in Phoenix now (Damn you Murphy!), good time to post some pics...

12/25/04 - Tortilla Flats Run

Took a quick run out to Tortilla flats w/ my Bro'. Tortilla Flats is E of town in the Superstition Mts.

Rendevue at the Burrito Co. for breakfast:

[​IMG]

Cheese Enchiladas anyone?

[​IMG]

After the initial run through the desert, the road gets twisty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got off the road for some pics of the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After some twisties, the road skirts Canyon Lake.

[​IMG]

Past Tortilla Flats, the road turns to Gravel. We turned around, but I may come this way again later in the week.

On the way back, I strayed off the road for a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TBC...
  2. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    It was still early in the day when we got back from Tortilla Flats. I decided to do a little exploring in the old nieghborhood.

This is South Mt. Park in S Phoenix. Back in the day we used to ride our cycles here. No more. Nowadays the park is bordered by development including a golf course.

The trails are visible and Mt bikes are still allowed on most.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Further to the SW, you can still get the tires dirty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

???

[​IMG]

TBC...
  3. modrover

modrover BOOMSHANKA!

Oddometer:
    Cool photos... even cooler that you got the Dead Milkmen flying! :thumb
  4. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    Gracias. Good stuff the Milkmen.
  5. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    The wee-Strom was in the company of sportbikes. The Drunkard wore a wry grin for he knew the fate of the meek...

[​IMG]

Stop in Payson for lunch.

[​IMG]

Didn't get many photos on this run.

TBC...
  6. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    Forgot the camera. Explored the desert ~60 mi S of Phx near Stanfield. May return later.

Development in the formerly podunk town of Maricopa has gone mad

TBC...
  7. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some great riding down here, eh? I liked the hydrant pic. :lol3 Pecos Road?

The road past Tortilla Flat is easy graded gravel pretty much all the way up to Roosevelt Lake. Shouldn't be too bad from the rain, just watch for gravel washed out onto the paved bits. Here's the treat up at the top:

[​IMG]

If you decide to head back via Globe (nice paved roads) this is a nice place to stop for lunch. Great chili colorado. It's on SR88 a few miles before you get to Globe.

[​IMG]
  8. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    Tuesday, first day to really get out and explore on my own.

I planned to head SE to Florence, and take back roads to Kelvin, then on to either Coolidge dam or S towards Mammmoth. No agenda was set, take it as it comes...

I started out of town on Hwy 87. 87's straight as an arrow.

[​IMG]

I didn't take long to lose the pavement for some dirt roads. This is near the Santan Mts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Later, the road less traveled near Olberg. Remind you of Mexico?

[​IMG]

Bridge over the Gila river.

[​IMG]

The Gila basin. The river is damned upstream. The little remaining flow is diverted for crop irrigation. During a big storm, this would look completely different!

[​IMG]

Onwards towards Florence. I spot radio towers and a road (both barely visible in photo) on a distant Mountain.

[​IMG]

Time to investigate.

[​IMG]

Confiscation! Damn! Looks like fun. If you look closely the road up the Mt is visible in spots.

[​IMG]

Culture Moment

The Casa Grande Ruins near Coolidge.

[​IMG]

"Casa Grande Ruins National Monument contains an imposing 4-storey building dating from the late Hohokam period, probably 14th century and contemporary with other preserved ruins in Arizona such as the Tonto and Montezuma Castle Monuments. It is situated in the flat plain of central Arizona in between the Gila and Santa Cruz rivers, close to Coolidge and about 15 miles from the town of Casa Grande. The structure was once part of a collection of settlements scattered along the Gila River and linked by a network of irrigation canals."

/Culture Moment

I stoped for gas in Florence and changed plans. Instead of taking the Florence - Kelvin Hwy all the way to Kelvin, I'd head out on diversion dam road.

The road turns to dirt just outside of Florence. Further out, you reach the diversion dam.

Judging from the signage, this was probably built by the CCC during the depression.

[​IMG]

The Gila River again. The remaining flow is diverted here.

[​IMG]

What the? Dirtbikes?

[​IMG]

I'd inadvertantly stumbled onto Box Canyon. I'd hoped to hook-up w/ some ADV locals and ride this. Should I have a go alone?

TBC...
  9. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    Yessir. That power line road up the Mt looked tempting.

Thanks. I may just get out that way again. Chile Colorado is one of my favs...
  10. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan from Scottsdale Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pics. Great little spot in this big world. The Apache trail is one of the very best. If you haven't done it, I strongly recco you rent one of those little tin boats at the Canyon Lake Marina and take it upstream to the dam. Make sure you get it for 3 hours or so, as it takes awhile to get up there with a 10hp motor. It is wild country country for sure. Gaze up along the cliffs and check out the wildlife as you make your way.

Thanks again -Pantah
  11. Mulekick

Mulekick 2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer:
    How long are you here?
  12. Drifting Fate

Drifting Fate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Olberg - good for you, you are seeing a lot of stuff the natives never do.

That's a road that blurs the line between dirt and pavement.
  13. Beem Dubya

Beem Dubya ...least I have chicken.

Oddometer:
    Hey Johnny, trying to get a few of the Chain Gang members from the the local f650.com crew out for a ride on New Year's day. If you're still in town give a shout and join us.

Are you interested Mulekick?

Beem
  14. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    Leaving town late Sunday. Hoping to ride every day til then. Got time for a ride?
  15. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    Where, when?

There's a kegger in the vicinity on New Years. I'll be getting a late start on Saturday...
  16. Johnny Drunkard

Oddometer:
    You may remember Hexhead's thread about this place. You may also remember me asking about the suitibilty of the wee-Strom for this ride.

I hadn't really planned on being here today and hadn't re-read the advice of the AZ locals. My memory of their advice was so: do-able by Strom though not recommended for rookies, about 12 mi. w/ a short nasty section in the middle, the Coke Ovens would be unadvisable on a Strom*.

From the Diversion Dam, I crossed the Gila basin turning onto a dirt road on the opposite side.

[​IMG]

The road rolls through the foothills for a liitle while, then descends into a wash. The wash continues for (?) & the canyon walls start to close in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drunkard-in-the-canyon. Folks w/ camo look at ya' funny when yer' wearing street gear.

[​IMG]

Things started to get sketchy, the sound of metal on stone was heard more than once. The pics really don't do this justice...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple approached on Quads. The Quads floated over what was work on the Strom.

[​IMG]

I asked about the roughness of the trail: "gets better after 100 yds or so...or not..."

[​IMG]

It seemed like more than 100 yds, but the canyon opened a little and the trail got less extreme.

[​IMG]

Usually when you reach the Cattle Guard, you're home free.

[​IMG]

Unless the Cattle Gaurd is high enough to rip off your oil filter.

[​IMG]

Someone's broken dream.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You think you're home-free, turn the corner & promptly shi-ite thine-self. The only way through here w/ a Strom is to hug the wall and DON'T STALL IT! (Of course, I stalled it almost at high-center. Fun!)

[​IMG]

Looking down from above.

[​IMG]

Having cleared that bit of nastiness, the trail winds through the wash and then heads up over the hill.

[​IMG]

Civilization?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing accomplished!

[​IMG]

*Selective memory at work.
  17. vintagemxr

vintagemxr old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer:
    >Onwards towards Florence. I spot radio towers and a road (both barely visible >in photo) on a distant Mountain.

Hey, you were in my neighborhood! Ya did good finding places to ride too. I'm just starting to venture off the pavement a bit with my Caponord. Tall bike and short legs have made me extra cautious.

The road up to the towers gets real ugly towards the top according to my neighbor. He works for the Tribe and rides a KLR and dumped it pretty good trying to make it all the way to the top of the mountain. I imagine the V-strom would have been even less succesful.
  18. Beem Dubya

Beem Dubya ...least I have chicken.

Oddometer:
    Still workin' on the ride direction, but would you be up for an earlier than noon start? The Apache Trail to the end is a good ride, the descent down Fish Creek Bridge is a blast on a bike...steep, narrow, extreme drop-off with what looks like the sporadic use of 2X12's for a guardrail. Dirt road out to 188, then maybe Payson or Globe. There are some cool backroads down to Tucson as well.

Beem
  19. Jamie

Jamie .

Oddometer:
    Good stuff! Thankee...
  20. Mulekick

Mulekick 2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys,I need a tranny shaft for my bike so no ride for me.:cry
    Just thought you might have time for a beer or two.

Hey Beem....I live in Chandler also.Right by the mall.Where you be?