[B]Alaska II, May 27 to July 2010[/B]

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dbarnes180, May 24, 2010.

1. dbarnes180

dbarnes180 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leaving Thursday morning at daylight for Alaska again. Same bike , K1200RS 2004. (NO BOX LOL)

I will be meeting the wife June 8th in Anchorage. She will stay a week with me and then fly back to Arkansas. We are planning on staying at Kodiak Island and do some bear watching.
    :clap
  2. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will you take the Ferry from Homer?
    Stop and say hello on your way past...
  3. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    So glad you mentioned that! I have been trying to make out how to do exactly that. I can't make heads or tails of the schedule. Can you help me and the wife out with this? She will be in Anchorage June 8th and we will rent a car for the week she is there. A trip to Kodiak is a must for the two of us.

I read the ride report from Labor Day that a group did together, they also rode the ferry from Homer to Kodiak I believe...great pictures and a little bear encounter with two of the motorcycles. :deal

:ear
  4. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    I just took the ferry 3 weeks ago to Kodiak. Go to their web page. Either look up Homer or southwest schedule or call thier toll free number. I should be around here the time you get here too. So one of us should be available to help you. :wave
  5. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave,
    Here is where you want to look for the sailing schedule (in PDF format): Southwest Schedule
    You will need to scroll down to the 2nd page, where it says

June 2010
    SouthWest and Aleutian Chain

and go down to the lower schedule form, which covers westbound sailings.
    Along the lefthand margin it shows the two ferries - KEN for the Kennicott, TUS for the Tustumena. Going down from Homer where the ports are listed at the top, you find that on Tuesday, June 8th the Tustumena leaves Homer at 10:30 PM for Kodiak. It does not show an arrival time (shown in red), but the normal running time from Homer to Kodiak is 9.5 hours which would put you into Kodiak around 8:00 AM.

For your return schedule, you will need to go up to the top schedule on that same page, which covers eastbound sailings. That one shows that the next sailing from Kodiak back to Homer after the 8th is the Kennicott, which leaves Kodiak at 9:00 PM on Friday June 11th and arrives back in Homer at 6:00 AM on Saturday, the 12th

This screengrab from the fares & schedules opening page will provide some help in reading the schedule -
    [​IMG]

For information on the fares, go here: Southwest fares
    The driver goes free on a "mirror image" round trip, so you will only have to pay for the car and one passenger. A car up to 15' overall length is $152 each way, up to 19' overall length is $179 each way, and the passenger is $74 each way.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  6. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Man, Alcan Rider you shore do good work! Thanks!

We have set up a couple of days of Kayaking with Alaskan Wilderness Adventures....Wendy. I talked with her today and it certainly sounds awesome. I think this vacation will the best we have had EVER!

Two days till I leaveeeeeeeeee!
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  7. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:

If you come to Homer, I know it will be the best you ever had.:poser :poser :wings :clap :lol3
  8. ColininKodiak

ColininKodiak (not in Kodiak)

Oddometer:
    Let us know when you'll be in Kodiak. We're trying to get more riders down to our hidden little rock.
  9. HayDuchessLives

HayDuchessLives Loquita

Oddometer:
    The above statement needs further clarification: If they go to Homer and DO NOT see AKCharlie, then it will be the best vacation they have ever had.

And there were three bikes that got attacked by a bear in Kodiak, not just two.

:poser:poser:poser
  10. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Make that two fine motorcycles and one DR. :nod

:hide
  11. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Tell her Alcan Rider, don't let her mix her ugly DR with our illustrious KLR's and beemers. :poser :poser :poser :ksteve
  12. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Without me they won't get to see the secret places that others don't get to see.

And Alcan Rider set you straight, there were two bikes attacked and an ugly DR.
    So at best it would be 2 and 1/2 bikes.:ksteve :ksteve :wings :thumb
  13. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Instead of Sharon (my bride of 40 years) having to fly into Anchorage and then ride the ferry for 10 hours or so, she will be flying into Anchorage and then straight into Kodiak on June 8th about 11 pm. She will fly out of Kodiak June 15th about 5pm to catch a flight in Anchorage back to Arkansas at 9 pm on the 15th.:D

Whew! With all these last minute changes it was good that we had taken out insurance and it really paid off. Orbit is sending money back for the week car rental we had in Anchorage.

I will already be in Kodiak, if my end of the plans works out. I will be taking the motorcycle and the ferry from Homer? to Kodiak. We will use the bike to get around until her butt says enough...lol.
    Then we will rent a car.
    :rofl :rofl :rofl

Chatted with Wendy Eskew from Alaskan Wilderness Adventures and have got kayak's and her as a guide to see a few days of shore line and according to her and her website .... Kodiak bears, whales, sea lines.....etc.
    It should be fantastic!:deal

After Sharon leaves to come home on the 15th I will be heading back to the mainland and look around for a couple of more weeks.
    :clap :clap :clap :clap
  14. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Time for bed and leaving at daybreak....Cya soon!
  15. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Looks like quite a detour from Destruction Bay to Beaver...200 KM. Google maps is routing me around it through Dawson on the Top of the World Highway... I hope that is just a glitch in their system. I will run with the Garmin and see what happens when I get there. :deal :ear
    Thanks for information...it will be used for sure!
    :clap :clap :clap
  16. dbarnes180

Oddometer:

Should be June 6th or 7th
    :clap :clap :clap
  17. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Well good morning everyone. The Alaska II trip is up and running. I got to Sioux City last night and looks like the weather will hold out for one more day until I hit some rain.

I checked online last night and I am still being routed through Dawson on my way to Tok. It seems like there were a lot of land slides that are causing this. I am correct? Or is Google just wanting me to go to Dawson this trip....lol.:deal
    :ear :ear :ear :ear :ear :ear :ear
    Anyone know for sure?:ear

I will have some pics later.
  18. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Nothing in the Yukon road condition reports to indicate any problems there. A washout on the Aishihik Rd, but that runs north off the Alcan between Whitehorse and Haines Jct so wouldn't affect your travels. Just the usual frost heaves, pavement breaks, and construction to keep life interesting. :lol3
  19. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dawson City or Dawson Creek? You may be thinking of the wrong Dawson. Barb
  20. dbarnes180

Oddometer: