[B]Alaska II, May 27 to July 2010[/B]

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by dbarnes180, May 24, 2010.

1. CappyRidesAgain

CappyRidesAgain Nom nom nom

Oddometer:
    I didn't even know he was here, I just saw a geezer enjoying the sights at dead mans and a BMW with an ADV sticker, turns out it was Dave! Talk for a bit, great guy. Hooked him up with the 411, and offered to take him and his wife fishing tomorrow. I'll post a pic layer today, the sun is out and I'm gone fishin!!
  2. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Cappy

Thanks for the heads up. I won't hang around home waiting for him to call.

Hope you catch some fish.:clap
  3. Biker24

Biker24 Lost!

Oddometer:
    Great photos...I depart July 1 on my dream trip to Alaska...if you do not mind, can you get rid of that snow stuff!
  4. CappyRidesAgain

Oddometer:
    I guess he got a standby ticket for the ferry, but thought the ferry left the a day before he thought it would :lol3
  5. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    I was expecting to hear from him when he got to Homer. Oh well. He's got my number if he wants to call or see Homer.

Did you get any fish.?????
  6. dbarnes180

dbarnes180 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AK Charlie, sorry for missing you when I got to Homer. I stayed and extra day in Seward and got into Homer Sunday night around 6:30 pm. Got a stand by ticket on the ferry for that night and was loaded about 8:30 pm. What a ride...lol. I found the Dramamine about 3 am and was damn glad. This was my first 14 hour boat ride...whew! My stomach and my ass met each other it wasn't nice.....ok. Enough about that.

I have had a great trip so far and it looks to be just getting better with each sunrise. Sharon K. was delayed in Dallas and missed the flight from Anchorage to Kodiak 9:30pm last night and will be leaving out of Anchorage this morning on the 9:30 am to Kodiak. Man will she be tired. I will get her to the B&B and let her rest before touring the island.

Speaking of the B&B, we are staying at Waterfall B & B on Mill Bay , stream right outside the door, ocean front view! Gorgeous place, Kathy the lady who runs the place is very nice and an elementary teacher. Sharon K. will love it!

I will be back in Homer around the 16 th and I promise to call you AK Charlie!
    I just hate to be a bother to folks and pretty much make my way on the down and low. I have learned a lot from you and other vets on this site! The tips and directions have given me tons of adventures and memories that are better than any photos could ever describe.

Talked with the young man from the Coast Guard , Cappyridesagain, who is also on this site. We had a good visit and I enjoyed his company. Although I bet his girlfriend wondered why he was chatting with on old fu..ker like me ...lol.
    I hope I can hook up with him later after Sharon get here and maybe take advantage of the boats he spoke of at the Coast Guard rental. That would be so cool to see my girl catching some fish in the Gulf of Alaska? If that is where we are...

Every place I stop for more than 5 minutes I have had great visits with folks who stop by just to visit, ask about my trip, compare bikes, talk about home,etc.

I met a couple that lives 30 miles from me in Arkansas. I met another couple that lives about 15 miles from home. Both were traveling in RV's and having the time of their lives.

OK....I have rambled enough.....I will just say that I am already planning to come back next May 27th....2011.
    My cell is 15016908920 through Verison....this phone has worked from Lonoke, AR to Kodiak , AK. GREAT!:deal :gerg

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap
  7. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Good riding on your trip. You really don't want me messing with your trip...getting rid of the snow... lol. I have loved every minute so far...the snow, rain, sunshine, fog, flats, critters, gravel, frost heaves, oh lets not leave out the hail...lol. All this makes for memories that can not be captured by videos or pictures. I love this place......the journey and the destination are equally important to me!

I hope to be around for the D2D ride...I might need to purchase a rear tire before then...whatever...:rofl

Color me HAPPY WITH GRAY HAIR AND BEARD...A FEW BUGS MIXED IN.

P.S.
    People are always asking me about the beaded seat I ride on. I bought the 9 dollar beaded seat from Wal Mart two years ago and cut it down to fit my beemer. I can sit 12 to 16 hours on this and not have any problems...I tried other seats, sheepskin cover, etc. For my butt this seat cover and baby powder keeps me comfortable with no road rash...lol.

Your results may vary:deal :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
  8. ColininKodiak

ColininKodiak (not in Kodiak)

Oddometer:
    I think I passed you out at the T on Monday. I was coming back from Pasagshak on my GS. I hope you had as good a ride on that new freshly paved road as I always do out that way. Hopefully I'll see ya out on the road again. Look for the old red and white R100GS or a black F650.
  9. AK Charlie

AK Charlie Born Again

Oddometer:
    Give me a call when you get close to Homer and I'll meet you at the terminal. If you want to see some sights, we can do that. If you want to ride through you can do that to. You can also just chill at my place. Your choice.
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Edited for accuracy.
  11. idea man

idea man Plate Spinner

Oddometer:
    Dave!
    Good for you getting up there again. I'm sorry I missed the build up.....and packing ..... and unpacking this year. :D Homer became one of my very favorite places up there when I took the Idea Clan camping out on the spit a couple of years ago. Pretty decent brewery there too if memory serves.
    I take it the road through Kluane was decent and Garmin was just messin' with you? :huh
    Have a safe trip back!
  12. AKTobias

AKTobias Frugal Badass

Oddometer:
    Dave,
    It was good to meet you in the Wal mart bathroom in Kodiak .... no ... that came out all wrong. Enjoyed chatting with you in the Wal Mart parking lot, hovering around that magical blue bike with the beaded seat

I looked the beaded seat covers up later that day online in a boring meeting I was part of. And my favorite comment on ADV was by AlCan Rider when he talked about a beaded seat cover he bought and tried ... and by so many hours on it his rear knew each one of those beads by name.

I saw you a couple of times jaunting around Kodiak this week and tried to flag you down again, but maybe I'll see you in Dawson. Have a good ride and don't feed the bears.
  13. CappyRidesAgain

Oddometer:
    Dear Dave,

This could've been you instead of Phil. :rofl

[​IMG]

Enjoy your stay.

-Cappy

:lol3
  14. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Wow what a fish....hey that Phil is a great guy. I ran into him a couple of times once in Homer and again when he got off the ferry in Kodiak. Good for him catching some nice fish.....:clap

But don't count me out Cappy.....:deal :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]:deal :clap

I love this place:rofl :clap

Sharon K. loves it also...we are going on a 5 hour tour in a plane to see bears, glaciers and volcano's ....I don"t think we are in AR Kansas anymore...lol.
  15. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    We have seen lots of whales in the last two days in a cove out towards the missle complex. Beautiful sites all over the island.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures just do not do it justice.....:D
  16. dbarnes180

Oddometer:

Thanks! So far I haven't been thinking about going back....lol. I must say this is a land of dreams...everywhere I look I see possibilities . Hey I could do that...lol. Well anyway I am loving this place and more important than that my bride of 40 years loves it also! I have brought up the idea of us living here in the Arkansas summer time and going back to Arkansas in the winter. Hey she didn't hit me or anything...lol. One thing is for certain she calls home where ever we are together! :deal
    I am sure that I am not the first old grey beard that has had this thought so I will just relax and enjoy what I have today.:clap

Man did I get off on a tangent...Did I say we are loving the place and the folks....lol.

Tons of pictures.:clap
  17. CappyRidesAgain

Oddometer:
    That cutter you have in your pic is the CGC Roanoke Island. A 110ft Island Class patrol boat. Its from Homer....they must've followed you!
  18. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Hi Cappy ,

That sure was an eye catcher of a ship. Looks like a sports car for the ocean. Phil said he was going to ship his fish meat back home and I see he might need a freezer to store it in...lol. I bet he had a ball getting that in.
    We, Sharon and me went by the Coast Guard facility and got on base no problems. We saw a few of the fishing boats , maybe we can hook up with someone and duplicate Phils catch...lol.
  19. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    Outside of Anchorage on the way to Seward....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Homer.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ferry to Kodiak...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. dbarnes180

Oddometer:
    The wife kept asking me to check my tickets for the ferry from Kodiak to Homer and when I finally did at 11 PM Monday night I was shocked to see that I needed to be at the dock at 2:15 AM Tuesday morning. No sleep staight to the ferry. I was blessed with a fairly good ride and rest. I also got to see a few whales! I did drop the K bike while loading on the wet deck crossing those tie down rails, but no damage, except for breaking the tip off one of my fishing poles, and the crew was great in helping me! Those folks work really hard, efficient and professional!

Well I got off the ferry at Homer at about 4 PM Tuesday and started up towards Anchorage in the RAIN again.

Sorry I miss AK Charlie both ways in Homer! He was diligent in trying to help me but I just couldn't manage my time to get to see him. I feel bad about not even calling, but I couldn't charge the cell phone and it was packed in the tank bag. Sorry again sir, for keeping you on the look out for me.

Ended up in Glenallen to early for a motel room so I kept going to Tok , again to early for a motel room and went on to Chicken and from there to the Top of the World Highway. Man what a view! So after 24hrs of driving I got a room in Dawson...I slept from 7 PM till 7:30 AM. LOL I really needed the rest. I have many many many pictures and will post when I have a better internet connection.

It is Thursday morning 10:08 AM and I am packing to head towards Whitehorse. I guess I am done with my Alaska travels this year. What a treat and joy to see all the great sites and meet so many good people everywhere I stopped!

I love Alaska.....even in the Rain!:clap

I'll be BACK!

LOL:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap