B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We retired from northern Canada (4 provinces, 44 years working, always in the far north) two years ago to Grand Forks BC, the Boundary Country.
    I wanted lots of riding season, great pavement, an abundance of bush trails and off highway routes, good hospital access, and close to the USA. Additionally we were looking for a place where real estate was cheap and it sure is in Grand Forks. We sold our place up north and stuffed a whole lot of cash in our pocket after buying an equivalent acreage, here with a great house. The town is right on the US border so I have a US postal box within a mile of home.
    We found a family doctor without any problem, and there is a hospital and clinic here, three dentist offices etc.
    Winters are really short, and summers are long. It is a pretty slow pace of life here, way better than in the oil patch towns up north, and cost of living very reasonable. Folks are way friendlier than what I am used to, and life is great. I couldn't stand to live in a place like Kelowna where the pace of life is so frantic (we shop and visit our daughter there once a month or so, and can't wait to leave the mad traffic, it is worse that Montreal or Toronto, where we also lived years ago). All in all, we could not have found a better place to retire, for so many reasons.
    JD
    zelig likes this.
  2. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are trying to decide where to go,things we are considering are what do you see when you look out the window? Water,mountains, wildlife.What do you hear? Traffic, lawn mowers, birds, Quiet.Where can you walk to? The beach,a good meal, a hike.How close are hospitals, dentists, and an airport for friends and family if needed. Do you want to be in an area where there are lots of other seniors? I like living on an acerage but why waste time on all that yard maintenance when you could be riding. Lots of the things to consider:deal Can't wait:clapso far the Middle island is the front runner!
  3. bchunter

bchunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No love for the North here....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is fine. More turf for me :thumb
  4. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Kelowna is going to be the place. Pretty sure.
    It is like a small version of Vancouver, without most of the headaches.
    3.5 hours to Vancouver.
    Lots of ski hills, to alleviate the down side.
    The down side? Most people do not realiize that there is little to no sunshine in the winter months, in the Okanagan.
    You have to go up the hill to see sunshine. That means cross country skiing and snowshoeing for me. The Nordic centre at Nickle plate, outside Penticton, has the longest ski season in Canada. 175 a year for a pass.
    Silver Star has great snow, with 100 k's of groomed trails.
    Lots of mountain biking available in the area.
    Motorcycling? Well. It is a paradise. On or off road. Any direction. 8 months of the year, min.

Areas in Kelowna?
    The best water views are in West Kelowna. There are "fingers" of Indian band land. Pretty disgusting to look at, for the most part. A nice house, maybe 500k.

Kelowna proper?
    As a general rule in the Okanagan, stay away from "the flats", dreary little post war shacks. Ugly yards full of junk, etc. Barking mutts, loud old beater cars/trucks etc.
    Kelowna has a few areas of the flats that are definitely desirable.(Mission and Lower mission). Great amenities available in these areas. Most expensive, it is considered to be the most desirable are of Kelowna. Maybe 600k for a nice home.
    We like the Dilworth mountain area, to the north of hwy 97, Close to downtown, lots of cycling trails, easy escape to Vernon, Silver Star, the Arrow Lakes, and beyond. Endless recreational opportunities. Cost? 5-600k for a decent home with a shop. Feels a bit like West Vancouver.
    We are going to deal on a Dilworth Mtn. home.
    There have been thoughts of the market slumping, due to oil prices. 15% of home buyers are Albertans. 10% of Kelowna residents work in the Alta oil patch - higher median incomes. We did not witness any softness in prices, as of yet.
    Our(trusted) realtor stated that 60% of the homes that he wants to book a showing - they have offers pending.
    There are few options in B C , that provide a city type lifestyle, outside of Vancouver. Kelowna seems like the best choice for us.

As I stated earlier, Kelowna gives the wrong impression, driving through on hwy 97. Check out the vibrant upgraded waterfront and downtown area if you are ever passing through.
  5. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    500 to 600 thousand for a home with shop? No thanks , I will stay on Vancouver Island where for around 300 thousand I can have a nice house and shop. 300 thousand buys a lot of ferry fares:lol3.

And we have great roads and great trails for when I don't want to leave the Island:D. And better yet for a motorcyclist , No Snow!:D
  6. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:

Port Alberni?
    That isn't going to happen. Great place to visit, don't get me wrong.
    :D
  7. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Hey. I forgot about Grand Forks. Lovely place to retire. Wouldn't be a problem for me, maybe my wife though. I think part of the problem with moving to any of these places is making new like minded friends. How many Adventure Riders in Grand Forks. Guess I'd probably go to a more dirt worthy bike like a DR/DRZ instead of my S10. I agree about Kelowna/Vancouver traffic. At least here it moves once in a while. Being retired, I avoid most of it anyway. Once saw a huge wild bore near Grand Forks. May have to check it out again.
  8. whyme42

whyme42 n00b

Oddometer:
    40 min to Airport, very good hospital , has most of the major stores, reasonable house prices , tons of recreation facilities , motorcycle access to off road or Canada's best MC riding Creston to Vernon. Not the rat race of Kelowna.
  9. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    We are going to buy on the Vernon side of Kelowna.
    A conscious decision, wanting to be close to what the Vernon area has to offer.
    We want a taste of the rat race. 6 months in Penticton has confirmed this to us, in no uncertain terms.
  10. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I meant 300 thousand anywhere North of Nanaimo.:D
  11. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kind of like Grand Forks as well, but like riding every one of the 12 months, so I think I will stay on the Island ( I hate snow):lol3
  12. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    I am in that area. You might want to look at things on the Glenmore side of the hill as you will not have to listen to the traffic on 97 and the airplanes coming in and out of the Ellison Valley. Kelowna airport is apparently the 11th busiest in Canada.

If you go farther north to Lake Country, you better have a big wallet.

Here is the view looking south from the top of Spion Kop summit just north of "The Lakes" development near Winfield last week.

[​IMG]

........................and here is the view from the top of Okanagan Mountain today looking south toward Penticton....................wonderful weather here!
    [​IMG]
  13. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the Okanagan.

Regardless of where you live in the valley, you can find pricy houses and less expensive houses. If you have to be near a lot of services, choose the 3 larger towns. If you don't mind travelling a half hour or so to get to the bank or dentist, there are a ton of smaller towns available. Regardless of where you settle, you will always have good riding, good skiing, good boating and good wine nearby.
  14. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nelson would be my plan.....what a hub of riding!!
  15. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    We look forward to Kelowna, in a big way. The other smaller towns are not to our liking. We tried.
  16. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Fantastic area. Just sold a house in Parksville.
    A great lifestyle, no doubt. Great value.
    Hell, I even like Nanaimo. Lots.
    Just not for us.
    Kelowna is vibrant, in a mini-Vancouver fashion. This is what we want.
    The riding around the Okanagan is under-rated. It is a paradise.
  17. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Nelson is a jewel of a town.
    We wanted to be closer to Vancouver.
    It is a glorious ride, getting to Nelson, from Kelowna.
  18. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    thanks for the advice.
    the pics look great.
    The riding opportunities are basically endless, yes?
  19. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Winter is cancelled in the Kootenays.:clap Or so said the cute hitchiker I picked up last friday and dropped at the junction 6/3A.:evil

Hwy 6 wasn't too rideable from all the gravel/rocks on the road but 3A/22 to Rossiland would certainly have been or even coming back yesterday. 40F....where were all the riders???

Too bad....I took the enduro apart for now a frame off cleanup/checkup otherwise I'd be plating it.:cry

Enough of this....I have to go back to the retirement paperwork, I sure ain't moving.:D

The question will be....and as usual how soon can I climb up the Monashee and ride between the snow banks? Or Trout Lake? That is if there is any left up there by then.:clap
  20. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My aversion, and violent allergy to cold will probably negate my retirement to anywhere east of Langley, and anywhere north of Nanaimo. I won't totally rule out the island when I get super old, as my idea of a big ride may shrink down considerably to the point I don't feel 'constrained' by it's minimal riding possibilities compared to the mainland.
    I just got back from the tropics, took the skytrain home in 35 minutes. People I travelled with will be faced with either an overpriced flight to Kelowna, Victoria, or east/central BC, stupid ferry, or 3/4 day car travel and be in cold and cloudy till April. Family in Penticton, and Osoyoos confirm that dreary high overcast for weeks at a time are indeed normal in winter in our northern tip of the Sonoran Desert. And also confirm that Penticton is the land of the nearly dead and newly wed, boring as shit. I still like being a 20 drive to downtown, 20 minutes to another country, 15 minutes to great roads, 20 minutes to off road, 20 minutes to the ferry if I do want to get over there.
    Well anyways, Feb 16th, 14+ and sunny today, going riding. Won't bother with the electric vest or the heated grips.