B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that travel for me coming back from Kona was expensive getting back to the Island. Sky train to downtown then the express bus to Horsehoe bay 3.75 dollars then the ferry 17 dollars to Departure bay, ouch!:lol3
  2. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    and don't forget having Translink telling you how much they will take from you every year:lol3
  3. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    The housing costs in the Lower Mainland preclude almost anyone from retiring there. For most folks from elsewhere, it is not really a valid option.
    The average Vancouverite has few options, if wanting to retire away from the madness, and not wanting to live a bit of a hill-billy lifestyle. Only Kelowna and Victoria, really(any others?). Victoria is expensive already.

Thanks for the input, folks. :ear
  4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Since this thread is on page 1, I'll take the opportunity to ask about moving there but not for retirement.

Wife and I are looking to relocate. I'm a Steamfitter, she's an MBA and Systems Engineer. She'll hopefully start consulting and I could end up at a mill.

From what I can see, Campbell River/Comox area looks pretty good.

At the moment, we're going to list our rental property and buy some vacant land. Looking for ocean front.

Still looking for proximity to enduro type trails, prov parks, etc.

Anyone want to throw a bit more knowledge into the pot?

Thanks!
  5. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, and you were home in 35 minutes. lol And the loser cruiser to Horseshoe bay.LOL
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 At least I don't have to breath a pulp mill down the road.
  7. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    No pulp mill here, just a paper mill. Pulp smell, paper mill no smell:D.
  8. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see Surrey on the news almost everyday, seems there is a stabbing or shooting once a week. Must be a hobby over there:lol3
  9. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Actually Nanaimo to Campbell river pretty much have the same climate it really isn't until you go north of Seymor narrows as to where you get the cooler summers... The settled coastal sections of the North Island {Telegraph cove to Port Hardy} actually have a warmer winter climate than most of the South Island, with Victoria being the exception...

On the Island you run out of roads real quick if you ride only pavement, The dirt options are much more numerous and provide a lot of exploring... With the higher speed limits it only takes 1 hr 25 mins to get to the ferries from the Campbell River area if your so inclined to explore the mainland ... We really don't need to leave the Island that often as it pretty much has all what is available in the big city with less traffic congestion and parking issues... And with a right turn off the ferries, you can avoid Vancouver altogether, what could be better..
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL,,,just people eliminating people that are best off being eliminated. Carry on.
  11. OneEffinName

OneEffinName Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been on the island for 20 years. Getting a bit small for me. Hate the ferry costs. I like the fact that I can typically ride year round.
  12. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
  13. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

That close to where they speak Canada's 3rd official language isn't it? .............and do they get the "Pineapple Express" that far east?

[​IMG]
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Very nice...:clap

An one can find homes in the area much cheaper than that.

Although the savings should be considered to buy another house south to get away from the cold damp Atlantic coastline winters.

15. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Absolutely beautiful area and similar to many BC coastal towns. Like I mentioned though. The money you save purchasing a rural NS property, may be best served buying a 2nd home somewhere south. If you don't want the sub zero temps. Although southern NS doesn't get anywhere near as cold as here in Ont. And I've went several yrs of not having to shovel and some golf courses in NS valley only close for a couple months.

A 200k home in NS and a 140k home in say FLa may be a good option..
  17. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    West of Port Hardy is a very nice little place with a hospital and a very nice year round climate according to some friends of ours who live there. They picked up a nice condo furnished about 10 years ago for $20,000. The mill has reopened and house prices have gone up but still cheap compared to here. Ever time it snows here they send us a pic of them standing on the beach in their shorts. Flowers are already coming up.
  18. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine retired to the 'Island' 12 years ago, in Youbou. Returned last spring, moved to Fort Langley. When asked why, he said, partially for health reasons wanting to have both he and wife closer to health care, and isolation and sheer boredom. And he's 74. Still rides his Norton, and had ridden every paved road on the island worth riding 50 times, needed quicker and easier access to the superior roads of the USA, and more interaction with like minded motorcyclists. Another buddy of mine moved to Qualicum 4 years ago, returned to Coquitlam last summer. Bored as shite. I guess if you anti people, there are great places to be and live. I'm not ready to put myself in isolation.
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Port Alice is a nice place though fairly isolated, lots of great riding options around there for a DS bike.. It does get quite a bit more rain than the communities along the North east shore of the North Island..
    [​IMG]
    Port Alice looking out on Neroutsos Inlet
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A falls on the road around the inlet
    [​IMG]
    Looking towards the mill which sits about 5 KM out of town along the inlet..
  20. Fat Cat On The Hill

Fat Cat On The Hill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've lived all over the lower mainland for the last 25 years and had enough so when our daughter moved out, so did we. My wife and I wanted to be close enough to visit yet away, into the mountains. Our new and improved is Rossland. The Kootenays are really worth looking into. Skiing, great mountain roads, no end off road, close to Nelson and the US....