1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed that this winter doesn't follow last year. I couldn't even ride for almost a month and was stuck taking transit. That never happens!
  2. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya'll are killing me. This was Friday as I was leaving for work:

[​IMG]

Fortunately, it will be back up to seasonal temps this week after being -11C overnight Saturday.

I am 60, and I was thinking hard about relocating to BC to escape Ontario winters, until this happened:

[​IMG]

I don't see how we could move far from the grandson.
    dustin2, shuswap1 and Steve G. like this.
  3. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Yup, no question, gotta stay there now.

Rode to morning coffee today, yeah, bit of rain, turned the heated grips on.
  4. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have read this whole thread, but since I have 50 working days to go to retirement........I forget things.........so......any comments on Boundary Country..........Grand Forks....Midway....or maybe Christina Lake areas??

Found a nice place in Vernon but would prefer to be closer to the USA and don't like the south Okanagan.

Cheers
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    That area is quite devoid of amenities. You'll probably be visiting Kelowna lots.
  6. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Grand Forks. Best beet borscht you can get anywhere on earth. Great perogies too! Um, lets see, what else?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Midway border crossing, the street motorcycling south of there in the summer is among the best anywhere.
    3rdeng likes this.
  7. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We moved to Grand Forks three and a half years ago, and it was a good decision. Nice quiet town, and good weather. Amenities (as some have referred to) are passable, with three grocery stores, and a couple of hardware stores. I do a lot of online shopping, and have it delivered to Danville WA, which saves quite a bit of money. Our mailbox in Danville is half a mile away, closer than the post office in Grand Forks. For major shopping, we make a day trip to Kelowna once in a while, although I really hate that place; it is worse than downtown Toronto. Spokane is the same distance away, and Coleville WA is only 1.5 hours away.
    Gas is generally cheaper in Danville, by about 20 cents a litre.
    Lots of great riding in the area, both on the Cdn side and in the US. I prefer the US simply because there is about 75% less traffic and fewer morons on the road.
    JD
    ggrant and Deuce like this.
  8. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    Not a beet borscht fan, tomato borscht, hell yeah
  9. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    JD;
    Any comments on how Grand Forks is for road cycling?
    Cheers
  10. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
  11. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    You see an awful lot of bicycles on the Crowsnest heading towards Rossland/Trail and the roads in that area. I stopped in Rossland for a coffee on my way to AB last summer and it was busy, busy, busy with road bikes and MTBs
  12. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Never lived there but have ridden in the area on moto and road and mtn bikes.
    Grand Forks and area would be a great place for a cyclist/moto rider to live. GF had a good variety of road riding as well as some mtn biking trails. Rossland has a huge variety of high quality mtn biking; shorter rides around town, and longer ones including the Seven Summits Trail. Google is your friend! Great downhill skiing at Red Mtn., and a variety of xc skiing options, for the relatively short off season.
    Road biking in the area is good because most of the highways have wide paved shoulders. There are long hills coming out of Grand Forks towards Rossland, west out of Castlegar, and out of Rossland towards Nancy Greene summit. All uphills are fast downhills on the way back, of course, so woo hoo!!
  13. JayDee24ca

JayDee24ca Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not a cyclist myself, but there is a large and active cyclist group here in tow, and a couple of busy bicycle shops. The roads around here, and the trails, would lend themselves to bicycling very nicely, I should think.
    JD
  14. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments guys!
    Cheers
  15. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, mother nature shuts down the ferries at least 5 or 6 times a week, trapping us so we can never leave our tiny island...
  17. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol. I've been on the Island 5 years now, never have I been stranded when I wanted to leave.
  18. mdlak

mdlak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still wanna move to the Island!!! Wind or no wind.
  19. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I read a while back that Greater Vancouver is the second most congested city in North America after New York, I wonder if any one there ever feels stranded trying to get around?

The ferries quit running due to weather probably a couple times a year, no big deal..
    yamty175, dustin2 and sdbruns like this.
  20. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it makes Vancouverites feel any better...

According to an article in the Toronto Star last Saturday titled TOP 10 CONGESTED CITIES IN THE WORLD:

1) Los Angeles
    2) Moscow Russia
    3) New York NY
    4) San Fran CA
    5)Bogota Columbia
    6) Sao Paulo Brazil
    7) London UK
    8) Atlanta GA
    9) Paris FR
    10) Miami FL