B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Bill 310; There are some great things on the horizon, health care wise, in Kelowna. It is, after all, Premier Clark's riding. Big hospital addition, new Cancer Center. Even a doctor could barely afford to purchase a home in Vancouver, these days.

Some companies are planning their escapes(from Vancouver), they are not able to attract quality employees, due to the overpriced housing market.
    People want to own their own homes. A million dollar shit-hole in a bad neighbourhood does not appeal to most folks.

We toyed around with purchasing a studio in the west end, the longer we are away, the less we miss Vancouver. We certainly look forward to visiting the big smoke.

I know that there are other great place to retire in Canada. This is the best places IN B C thread. You pesky easterners should start your own thread. :D

I moved to Vancouver, from Manitoba, 28 years ago. I always wanted to. My father was from Vancouver, my mother was born in Kitsilano.
    B C has not disappointed. Unbelievable recreation opportunities. Endless motorcycling, really.

Anywhere else to recommend?
    Creston is a great place, it was on the horizon for us at one point. We decided that we wanted more of an urban environment, and as well wanted to be within a reasonable distance to Vancouver, the ocean and the Island.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Fair enough, but I thought since i lived there recently I qualified for an unbiased opinion. I've lived in many places in Canada.
    Most posts I've seen so far in this thread are of beautiful blue skys, mountains, riding in Feb at 8c with a little snow, flowers etc.
    While all the above are true and my experience as well to some degree. Many of my co-workers have those sun lamps, because of the dark gray sky and rain just about every day from Nov till April.

No rust or bugs are a couple things that I remember most, along with lower taxes and bills out there compared to the East of here.
  3. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

We spent about a year looking at real estate in southern BC. As a rule of thumb if the valleys run north/south and are narrow, then winter means short daylight hours and cloud because of the mountains. Creston is a pretty small community that is currently known for some religious/moral/familial ......oddities - say no more.

If you want max sunshine check out Osoyoos - big wide valley & desert climate. Not that I want to denigrate Osoyoos in any way, but we found it to have a very old population in winter and is a crazy zoo of tourists in the summer........and we found real estate prices pretty much the same as farther north up the valley.

But that is just us.

Yes December and January can be cloudy in the valley bottom, but if you need some sunshine just head up to the ski hill at Silverstar and get a day of skiing above the clouds or head south for 2 weeks and get a warm sunshine filled mid-winter break.

I have lived in Ontario (Windsor & Guelph) and Saskatchewan (S'Toon, Regina, Yorkton) and I think overall the climate in the OK Valley is by far the most livable overall - if you want perfect try California or the OZ Sunshine Coast - but those areas have different issues/problems. I also have friend who live on Van Island and have spent some time there looking at real estate too - Maple Bay is very nice, but I just could not live in a place where moss literally grows on everything! But that is just me again.

No place will be perfect, but if you are optimistic and curious you can certainly make due in the OK Valley.

But these are just my observations/opinions.

PS...............most if not all of my neighbours are from Calgary or elsewhere in Alberta and some are even young and do the 1 or 2 week commute to Fort Mac from the Kelowna airport. There are just about as many Alberta license plates here are BC plates.

PS2...............our strategy for dealing with winter cloud was to purchase a house on the top of a hill with an unimpeded East/West view. It seems to be so much brighter higher up. I must admit I would have a harder time if I bought a house in the valley bottom under a bunch of tall trees.
  4. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love Nelson, most beautiful town in B.C.. For sure the most epic paved roads in Canada, unfortunately for me it has winters. If you like snow this would be a fine choice for a retirement place.
  5. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Lotta rattlesnakes around Osoyoos.
    The rattler population thins out as you head north.
    :eek1
  6. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

I personally am more worried about the snakes that reside in Victoria and Ottawa than Osoyoos!:eek1

....although here is a pic of a nice rattler we ran into on an October hike in Kalamalka Park in Vernon.

[​IMG]

Kalamalka View
    [​IMG]
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just barely, most likely would have to go to Trail or Kelowna for anything beyond something very minor.
    No surgery in Nelson any more. A few years ago now a surgeon who dove in and performed an emergency surgery got his knuckles rapped by the overlords. The patient quite likely would not have survived transport to Trail.
  8. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)

Looks like you were close to Rattlesnake Point / Cousens Bay Area. I have only spotted them around that area and Middleton Mountain in my nature walks around Vernon.
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I rode over and killed a rattler while riding the Kettle Valley trail south of Kaleden last July. Looked like a freshly dumped pile of horse shit. Sorry little guy.
  10. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming!!! Does anyone live in Grand Forks? I remember it being a beautiful spot, close to the border and a nice river with great riding. Not sure about a hospital. Also no more mention of Salmon Arm another nice spot. Okanagan is nice but so crowded. Maybe Vernon though. What about Williams Lake. Rode through there on the Big Duallie Ride a few years ago and remember it looking pretty good. Like to check it out again sometime.
  11. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:

Yea that is the place - half way down the big hill overlooking Coursens Bay heading toward rattlesnake point. Very pretty park for a hike!
  12. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Rattlesnake point. Yikes. That snake looks pretty large.
    There is an Island outside Keowna that is called Rattlesnake Island. Apparently the snakes are in the water in that particular area.
    I haven't heard of anyone betting the bite, does that happen very often?

Grand forks? Not my cup of tea. Typical small town lack of amenities.

Williams lake ? Pretty rough around the edges. Stayed there for two weeks, once. Lotsa troublemakers, seemingly. Beautiful countryside.
  13. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    I live in Castlegar and have thought about retiring somewhere else. I like Oliver quite a bit. Nice housing prices too. Originally from Victoria, I can never re enter that housing market but like the eastern side of Duncan/Cow Valley quite a bit too. Grand Forks is very small town but has a fairly vibrant population that keeps their wee downtown going.

Vernon was high on my list but getting expensive. Should have bought there a few years ago.

People talk about riding year round. Most folks I knew never did when I lived in Victoria. Mind you, gear is so much better now that maybe that is a nicer experience.
  14. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Oliver has great countryside. Great wineries.
    The town sucks. imho. About 30 years behind the times. Almost as horrible as Okanagan Falls.
    You would be better off in Summerland or Osoyoos, if you want to be in a nice small town in the Okanagan.
  15. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:

Excellent spot to go swimming and boating. We did not see any snakes there but I'm sure with that name like that there must be some around. Some people like to retire across the lake from here in Peachland. Some of the homes have a good view of both Kelowna and Penticton. It is easier to get to Vancouver with the start of the Coq right there.
  16. OurBC

OurBC Live to Travel

Oddometer:

Still narrowing it down but definitely in BC.
  17. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    We jumped at the chance to move to Kelowna 9 years ago. I grew up in this area and after 30 years in the lower mainland area, I couldn't wait to come back. We chose a home in the lower Glenmore area to live. After 30 years of commuting across bridges, I didn't want to commute across a bridge again. We like it here. I have a 3.5 km commute which takes me 7 minutes on a bad day, or 10 minutes on my bicycle. It's only 15 minutes on a bicycle to the lakefront.

I hear all the talk about the Kelowna traffic and although I also complain regularly about the poorly "planned" traffic lights, and congestion I have to keep reminding myself that it is only bad in the central core and mainly in the Hwy 97/Enterprise/Springfield corridor that it is really bad. It's nothing compared to just about anywhere in the Fraser Valley as I'm reminded every time I return to the coast for a visit.

The downside of traffic and congestion is offset by the amenities that are available in a larger center such as medical services and entertainment .

The riding in this area is tough to beat. Most years I am insured for 9 months although this winter I could have easily ridden every month. I used to live in my rain suit at the coast but I have hardly used it since moving here. There is easy access to dual sport riding in any direction and some of the best pavement riding in the province is close at hand. I have been known to ride to Kaslo for lunch. I have several favorite loops north through Armstrong and Salmon Arm that I can get to with absolutely no traffic hassles. I can do a great paved loop around the north end of the lake and only hit the main highway for about 10 kilometers.

Housing prices are higher here, but seemed pretty good to us coming from the lower mainland. It's all relative. We bought our "retirement" home when we came here and plan to stay for good.

Wayne
  18. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Wayne;
    How much of the year can one bicycle in Kelowna. Do you think a high mileage roadie would have enough quiet roads to ride on?
    A great cycling community is paramount to my retirement.

Cheers
  19. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine too actually.
  20. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    The city planner in Kelowna is a bike nut. He is doing everything he can to increase the kilometers of trails within the city.
    There are literally dozens of loops around Kelowna for road bikes.
    Mountain bikes? Endless singletrack, slightly south, around Mira Canyon. Knox mountain is as well a destination point. The KVR can take you 100's of kilometers, with campsites, etc. (the KVR is now formally legal to ride on, with a motorcycle).
    I would say the road bike season is approximately 9 months a year.
    There is also a fairly active dual-sport motorcycle community, with a facebook page.