1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    the bicycle or a scooter in Vancouver proper. maybe the skytrain and/or a bus. or patience, grasshopper .....
    if you live outside the Vancouver city limits, you're gonna suffer - if you have to commute downtown.
    btw: 1.46 for a litre of regular gas.
    dustin2 likes this.
  2. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    90 working days for me and I will be heading to Castlegar. Most of the amenities you need, couple of big lakes, lots of golfing(if you like that I think they should all be turned into bike tracks :) airport, great off road riding and some super road rides near by, US border 1/2 hour away
    uncle m likes this.
  3. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I gas up in Sumas, $.95cdn /litre, plus El Nopal takes Cdn at par.
    Don't know anyone who works downtown and commutes in from the eastern burbs, if they do they have my sympathies.
    Local radio station is doing a contest on the worst commute, gives away $500 a week. Last winner was a lady who commutes from Squamish to Hope. Now that's frickin bad!!
  4. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    Minimum 5 hours a day commuting? That's America style. What a numpty.

Probably costs $60 a day in fuel at today's prices, if she is driving an economical car!
  5. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A good friend lives in South Surrey and commutes to UBC I have no idea how he does that everyday they must pay him a lot.
  6. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    There is a really good Vietnamese in Courtenay that we visit.

The list maker obviously never checked out India. Any city there should be in the top 3. Any street at anytime has beggars crawling, dogs, goats, cattle, camels, elephants, bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, rickshaws, tuktuks, cars, trucks, buses, all sharing the same 4 lane roads. 6 or 7 vehicles wide ...

BTW, elephants have ABSOLUTE right of way there ...

shuswap1 likes this.
  7. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well... to be fair, those are all side streets in Delhi. First pic looks like the old road close to the Mosque. That said, I've had to drive into Delhi from Chandighar on numerous occasions and about 50km north and onto the ring road is pretty bad.... BUT the saving grace is you do what the F ya want in India when it comes to driving. If taking the sidewalk works...giver. Driving from the airport into town in KL during rush hour was about the worst I've experienced. Bangkok was a very close second.

I am actually quite surprised no Asian countries made the list.... which makes me wonder on the accuracy.... but consider the source :p
  8. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:

Actually the photos are Varanasi, the elephants are in Jaipur. Never got the nerve up to drive there after doing some scare raising tuktuk rides. Now many cities are putting in direction dividers to keep traffic on their intended side of the street, leaving gaps for the cattle & pedestrians to shoot across mid block.

Nope, give me Goa any day, never even put shoes on for 9 days, walking the beachs to get around.

Beijing was another nerve wracker too.
    yamalama likes this.
  9. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    That's quite an impressive wall of snow on the Duffey already. I'm guessing it'll be a gruelling winter for those who have proper winters.

Mercifully, November down in the Lower Mainland is a bit more normal from what we've had in the last few years.

Attached Files:

10. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The capacity for drastic weather differences in mountainous regions never ceases to amaze me! I remember booking a 10 day snow board trip in the Dolomites the first year we were in Rome.... cost us a mint, but I figured screw it... we're here lets get after it! Anyway, it was green and well above zero for 6hrs and 25 minutes of the 6 hrs and 30min drive.... I was thinking it was a total bust and that we'd be hiking in the mountains and not boarding.

But about 5-10 km out we turn a corner and BOOM! friggin snow....and I mean SNOW! LOL. Was pretty cool.
  11. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:

Ah... Very-Nasty. Sent my wife there with some friends... I on the other hand, had less than zero interest. From all accounts I made the right call. LOL. But yeah, Although I've seen and heard of worse places for congestion (Beijing ...the horror... the horror...LOL), on the madness scale, India is hard to beat. As a visitor it can be a riot, but as a resident it becomes very taxing after a while.... you change. I did... which is the main reason I left.
  12. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    There are several places worldwide I have felt better not navigating traffic. India was top of my list, but also Marrakech, Kathmandu (got hit on the sidewalk by a biker on a Hero 125), Brisbane, Xi'An, Rome, & Athens also come to mind.
  13. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brisbane...LOL! I'll have to run that one by a mate of mine :D

But Rome? Really? I mean yeah, it is a bit nuts but once you got used to it, it was pretty easy to get around.... especially on two wheels. best place I've lived for riding! Basically there are two golden rules, and if you understand and observe these rules, it really does become no big deal:
    1. Italians are late brakers
    2. Cars will stop 90% of the time, Motorbikes about 60-50% depending, Scooters will almost always run reds and generally not stop for anything.

Oh and one more, like in NASCAR, rubbing is racing, especially in Rome LOL! Its no big deal to bump or rub in traffic and/or parking. I smoked a mirror on a smartcar when I was lane splitting on the 748... I stopped cause....well...Im Canadian and felt compelled to apologize :D Dude was like...no biggie.
  14. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thread....HIJACKED>>>>>>>>>>
  15. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Let them play in the rain and hijack all they want!

150mm of rain for the coast?:lol3

Drizzle in the Kootenays?:jack
  16. Jbone11 11

Jbone11 11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL... yeah sorry... back to BC. :D
  17. edwin

edwin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey, it is cool though the sharing of worldly travels.....how aboot another thread for 'driving or travels aboot the world' or 'where in the world should i retire' or one of each?
    rock on
  18. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with you lets keep this thread on track
  19. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

17C and sunny in Surrey yesterday. LOLOLOLO(LOL
  20. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state

Oddometer:
    any of you'se retire yet? this is one hell of a long winter....
    Steve G. likes this.