B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Developers seem to be doing that everywhere!

Cheers
  2. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

Interesting & Cheers! Here in Kelowna realestate has gone stupid. Just about anything under 1M is going fast & just about anything can get close to 1M. If you have a pool it is 1.5M - two recently sold close by. It is a sellers market here. My neighbour just sold with a bidding war. It is likely time to cash in and move to some place quieter. Not saying where just yet, cause I don't want to start a rush before we buy.

I have had 2 foot rebuilds (right then left) in the past 8 months. Not due to any accident, but because they have seen a lot of use over my life so far - combined with bad family feet genetics. I figured it was best to have them rebuilt while I was still young and so far I am glad I went thru with it - it would be tough if I was closer to the 7zero marker. The COVID mess has been both a curse and a blessing as without it I doubt I would have had both of them done so quickly. My guess is that people opted out of the surgical wait list for fear of Covid complications - but I don't know for sure? Nerves are never fully the same after surgery, so a new normal has to be attained for both of us.

Cheers,
    J
    Fishnbiker and MGV8 like this.
  3. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is the Chunnel you speak of? The CSRD has single-handedly killed growth in Scotch Creek....which I don't really mind too much, except that the health center and local businesses are truly the walking dead.
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I call it the Chunnel as a lark. We are getting a tunnel under the CPR tracks to connect the lakeshore to the down town. 21 mil by last count, probably 30 mil by the time it's done. Plus, It's going to need serious pumps to keep it dry during high water, hence the Chunnel remark. Going to be hugely disruptive for down town with the hole they are going to have to dig. They are moving the main line of the CPR to build half then moving it back to build the other half. It will be fun to watch how they progress. Luckily my business is on the other side of town.
    You sure it's all CSRD. Isn't the North shore all Alberta money which has slowed to a trickle???
  5. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a pack of coin for something like that. I know of similar crossing that probably carry 20x the traffic volume that cannot find funding for a high or low crossing. OH WAIT< the CSRD waterfront palace is located on the other side of the tracks, so I see where the tax $ need to be spent.
    As for the CSRD, we live with their deceptions, close observation and obstruction all the time. For instance, water, which was forced upon well owners, with a promised $510 annual levy + use costs until the capital investment was recovered. Oops, they lied or misspoke and are now continuing the capital collection forever, despite clearly stating otherwise when the vote was held.
    My brother and I posted a petition in the local grocery to raise lot coverage from 25%, the lowest in BC, to something closer to 30-35%, receiving well over 100 signatures in a single winter month. presenting the petition to CSRD we stated we were prepared to continue into the summer time but the staff assured us they were completely on-board with this and we had no reason to continue with the petition. Well, guess how that went?.... a blatant lie by CSRD staff.
    So, my brother constructed the garage as large as possible, which won't quite fit his truck or our boat but complied with the CSRD 25% rule. In fact, just to be sure he hadn't somehow breached the rule, they demanded 3 separate surveys, all of which confirmed he was within the 25% and setbacks.
    There are many more examples but it's not worth the aggravation to expand.
    As for the Albertans, yes, to a large degree they are present in the north Shuswap. Most of our neighbors and the vast majority of the waterfront is owned by Albertans/Calgary residents. All around our neighborhood there have been more sales this past year than I recall in the past and prices have risen about 15%. I have not seen Shuswap Lake Park as busy as it was this year, so folks are coming out this summer season, or were coming, before fall arrived.
    MGV8 likes this.
  6. MGV8

Oddometer:
    25 % that seems a tad small, must be a really old bylaw. Time for an update. don't be too hard on staff, changing something like this is a multi year process plus also needs tp be a priority. squeaky wheel so to speak, you probably need to keep that petition going and present it every year.-- Hey if we keep all this complaining up maybe we can scare every one away and we'll have the place to our selves, wouldn't that be nice!!!
  7. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I do get on my high-horse when it comes to government and waste, I've kinda had my fill of both. The riding around here is so good it more than offsets.
    MGV8 likes this.
  8. Mercenary

Mercenary Mindless Savage

Oddometer:
    Wow....that's nuts. My grandparents lived in Canoe back in the late 80's and it always felt like a sleepy little community there....even in summer.
    MGV8 likes this.
  9. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Expect $300-490k in the North Shuswap for a reasonable place, but waterfront is in the 900k and up range, with significant interest from Alberta/Calgary folks. Pretty much anything and everything that had been lingering on the market over the last 2-3 years sold this last year. I had visited my brother's place there for the last 20 years. Wife and I looked all over the wide area, out to Revy, even just really liked the area around the Park. No regrets, would only change if I could have a dock out front to sip a beer on.
    MGV8 likes this.
  10. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Oh it's still Canoe in most ways, but like every thing it is a changing.
  11. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okanagan Valley :clap
  12. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    the Okanagan is fantastic, if you are moving westward.
    not so great, if you are moving eastward.
    a generalization, no doubt. and YMMV.
    finances come into play, of course.
    you can't beat living nearby the ocean, imho.
    the Okanagan is a fine place for a vacation home. no doubt about it.
    3 years before we tucked our tails between our legs and moved back to "the coast". at great expense - i might add ...... :lol3
    still miss the moto community, it was great!
  13. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    YES!!!!!! Okanagan, YES!!!!!!!
    Keep those real estate prices moving higher & higher, YES!
    I am ready to cash out, YES!

.......oh and unlike Yama, it will be at someone else's expense, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  14. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Screw that,I live here and owning a home is quickly getting out of reach because of that kind of thinking.
  15. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, I not only don't agree with it, but I think it is abhorrent.

I am tired of fighting the traffic here and yes the "real estate" attitude. City council is on a development binge and filled with greed and the associated corruption. Banks are lending insane amounts of money, just because interest rates are so low. I have talked to people here that say they can get a 5 year mortgage for 1.75%.........so that means they can "afford" to pay more.

Kelowna is on steroids and it will all likely end in tears. I am cynical about the whole thing - time to find some quiet and boring place.
    MGV8 and shuswap1 like this.
  16. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kelowna=traffic and cement jungle........ for us in the bush. But BC has so many great regions with excellent riding. Pick one, pick two, pick three!
    ggrant, MGV8 and uncle m like this.
  17. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Newfoundland.
    Bill 310, G-Mac, adv63 and 5 others like this.
  18. Sikorsky

Sikorsky The Man.

Oddometer:
    I'm chiming back in. I've been two years up here in the Kootenays. Terrific area and terrific people ..... that hasn't changed. But I do not have that much of a desire to be around people that I've had multiple workplace interactions with. It's one thing to look at a person and think "That guy looks shifty" as opposed to looking at them and knowing they are.

We were lucky to get family doctors within 3 weeks of arriving here. I've been able to get x-rays, an MRI, a Covid-19 swab, a throat scope and "looking forward" to other medical procedures all done in a timely manner ...... important stuff as time goes on. The only issue we have had is that it's a looooong way for friends and family to get to. Weather hasn't been atrocious and the coldest I've seen is -10 over the two winters.

We are bouncing back and forth from Kamloops to Osoyoos for retirement places these days ...... but that could change; who knows what the future brings. All I can say fo sure is that God willing, I'm finished with work in 1158 days. Plenty of time to make a decision.
    adv63 likes this.
  19. Road Warrior

Road Warrior Valley BMW Riders member

Oddometer:
    I agree with Sikorsky's last paragraph. Kamloops or Osoyoos.

We've lived in Kamloops for over 20 years. Moved here for work and stayed for retirement.
    I look at Kelowna as a mini Vancouver for all the bad reasons you can think of.
    An interview on CBC Radio, many years ago, described Kelowna very well in one simple sentence - "A strip Mall with a Lake at the end of it ! "
    Kamloops is MUCH More Blue collar if that makes any sense to you. The same house that would cost a Million dollars in Kelowna could be had in Kamloops for 600-700 thousand and that's after a few years of double digit percentage jumps because of Vancouver people moving here. Still not cheap !!
    GREAT riding in the area as well. Two major highways going through town, numerous secondary highways and LOTS of dirt/gravel roads and trails. A pile of lakes and lots of almost unused rec camping in the area.
    Our hospital is currently going through a 3-400 million expansion and we have a moderately sized university as well.

Some people have said that the smell from the Domtar mill is annoying but in over 20 years of living here I've noticed the smell maybe 1/2 dozen times.

Don't neglect the other "K" town. It's a great place to live !!

Ron
    spacely, gpfan, MGV8 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why not just stay where you are for retirement? I hear some good people are starting to move into your area??:rofl

Cheers