B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only 749,000.00 Ill take 2 thanks
  2. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    I shall. promise. Was looking for a friend. Stumbled upon it last week. Maybe the local restaurant will open again?
    But that town to the west is a gem. Truly. Perhaps the most liveable community in the the koots.
    Bit of a micro climate if I recall. Important to know in the Kootenay’s. Some areas have a snow belt, no, not like sask snow. We have wet snow here.
  3. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    .....Some areas have a snow belt, no, not like sask snow. We have wet snow here.

Yes, Yes.... the snow by the OCEAN can be really heavy and wet! ;-) , but it is just an occasional thing you have to put up with when you live in paradise!
  4. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol, not getting that property and buildings for 750 in Qualicum Beach
    Argus16 likes this.
  5. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    OK, Well maybe not downtown Q-town Beach, but it is in that "general area" - but you know ....... the more.......... rural parts.

You see that's the problem, everyone wants to be right on the beach in Q-town!

....go with us on this, it will increase your real estate values.
  6. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m not talking about on the beach.
    if that place was anywhere near QB or area it would be over a million plus. Even on the rural areas on this side of MT Arrowsmith, Whiskey Creek, Errington , or up Island towards Courtenay, Houses with acreage like that one are in demand and fetch far more money than that.
    if that place was anywhere near me I’d be looking at it :-)
  7. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drool!!!
    Must have been a grow op for that price, even around Salmon Arm
  8. Snooz

Snooz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK BC'ers...is it ok to ride in March around the Okanogan? Got a friend turning 50 that month and want to get out from under our oppressively cold Alberta winter. And there's the added question of Covid issues. It's hard to say day-to-day but if there's a reprieve in March will we be welcomed or shunned? Appreciate the advice in advance...
  9. Rossland Rider

Rossland Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very borderline in March. You may get good weather or it may snow. As for COVID, you are currently not welcome in BC. We are not supposed to travel for non-essential reasons and many of us who live in tourist towns are pissed off with people from out of province doing all the things we are not allowed. That feeling may get less intense by March but there will still be some of that sentiment, a lot of it if restrictions have not lifted considerably.
  10. Snooz

Snooz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rossland, I understand completely regarding your Covid concerns - that's the thing isn't it? What will be the requirements at the time? I'm not committed to riding to your neck of the woods and balk at the rules, in turn pissing anyone off - I will always abide by the current legislations. That being said, I see plenty of BC plates here in Alberta but I know I will take the proper steps to be safe regardless. It all really sucks, without a doubt. As of today, we are easing Covid measures on in-person dining, youth sports activities, and more, with certain restrictions of course. I suppose I will wait and see.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not everyone complies with the health rules. My neighbors from Alberta (many!) were all over the Shuswap this summer, most being moderately careful, I would say. AB has had less success holding off infection rates than BC, but not by much. Not the right time to be easing yet and I wouldn't think the rules were going to be eased by March, not with the overarching delays with vaccine arrivals.
    gpfan likes this.
  12. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    It will all come down to vaccine availability, vaccine uptake and COVID Variant transmission. Given these, I think travel in March is highly optimistic at best. I was heading to Victoria towards end of March. Was. But reality intrudes.
    gpfan and Snooz like this.
  13. Snooz

Snooz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the replies, it's what these forums are for, right? I'm well informed regarding Covid and was really just inquiring about the weather in March - is there a chance it is nice enough for riding. Although I don't mind a good debate, I feel it's a moot point when talking about Covid- I'll do what is prescribed. Thanks again for the input, folks.
  14. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
  15. Snooz

Snooz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks Borscht, that looks pretty decent to me. But it's all up in the air and will be a last minute decision. It's a March 50th birthday celebration in Alberta. If we can't get away anywhere, it's gonna be garage beers for sure and one hell of a bonfire to keep us warm. Cheers!
  16. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've plated a bike as early as March, not a lot but a few times. South of us in the Okanagan It's probably do-able more often than not. Pick your days to ride. On the Covid front, Dear Bonnie has extended our restrictions indefinitely for now. Don't expect much of a change until a lot of us get the Jab. Best to just stay local until that happens
    Snooz likes this.
  17. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    The only thing I will add to this is:
    1) In the lower elevation valley bottoms in March things will be warm and roads clear(except for winter gravel on the sides and corners), unless it storms. The problem in March & April & sometimes May is that to get to the next valley, you have to go over high elevations which on FSR will be snowy/muddy or on pavement cold and unpredictable.
    2) With indefinite restrictions now an admitted fact, it is unlikely they will be relax - possibly right thru 2021 and beyond. I read in the UK press that they are now saying any relaxation of restrictions will just lead to more mutations that may outwit the vaccines. There is so much political and economic capital now invested in this, that no one is going to back down on restrictions and admit that society will just have to learn to live with endemic covid.
    3) If the above happens, then you will see people go into masked stealth mode.
    4) With countries competing for vaccines (for one dose, let alone 2) and with immunity lasting 8 to 12 months it is going to be awhile, regardless of what politicians say - it is just an ever movable target. I have read in the UK papers it could take up to 6 years for Canada to get fully vaccinated based on future supply commitments.
    5) This is not going to end any time soon. Hurry up and wait! Does a full face motorcycle helmet count as a mask?

[​IMG]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...pandemic-vaccination-calculator-suggests.html

.....just read this on the CBC here:
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...-freedom-worship-covid-bonnie-henry-1.5907306

Province is seeking an injunction against churches, but also...........

"According to the court documents, the province is seeking an order that would prevent elders and members from gathering to worship in their churches and from organizing celebrations, ceremonies, baptisms, funerals or any other "event" as defined by Henry's orders."

........upping the anti in the fight by

"The order would also authorize police to detain anyone they have grounds to believe is planning to attend a religious service organized by any of the three churches."

This is an interesting addition, because if they win with this for churches it would then be logical to apply it to anyone else, no?

Detained for PLANNING TO ATTEND something? Interesting.
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed that too. Attending is one thing, detention for simply planning to is on another level.
  19. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well we are fu*ked..... sounds like profiling to me, if you look like a Christian and act like one we will detain you Wow
    Cal likes this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You find that interesting? It should ring the alarm bells of loss of freedom as we know it. Better go buy your piece of property now so you can quarantine there, for the rest of your retired life.
    devildogg likes this.