B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    AH, interesting indeed!

Skeptical in nature, I am unlikely to believe everything I read - even from the mythical CBC. It is getting harder and harder to separate sponsored content from the regular propaganda and/or spin. At my age I have had plenty of time to be well schooled on skepticism, along with a few other other vices.

Interesting, this morning I looked for other references to this injunction, and could find little other than verbatim repeats of the same report.

I would think (hope) that something like this (expansion of police authority) would be questioned by others?????????, but who knows these days????

AH, INTERESTING indeed!
    The right understanding of any matter and a misunderstanding of the same matter .........do not wholly exclude each other.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    You guys keep this bullshit up and it'll be CSM time for this thread.

The Island is getting more expensive by the week. Can't believe some of the prices in the Victoria area. A couple more years for us and we're out of here. Traffic and congestion is getting to be like a mini Vancouver.

:1drink
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  3. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    I spent 40 + years in Victoria and enjoyed many rides North . The last few years only early Sunday mornings gave an enjoyable ride. Last summer, did the Duncan, Youbou, Port Renfrew loop. It was a nice ride to PR, but so slow from Jordan River, that it was painful. The traffic is possibly worse than anywhere in BC now on the entire South Island. Maybe the construction contributes to that perception...
    But oh those daffodils!
    Deuce likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    You got that right. I don't even ride on weekends anymore. Luckily with my shift work I have days off during the week. It's mildly more enjoyable but you still have to be on the road early. The new impound laws and lowered speed limits haven't helped either. The speed limit from Sooke to Honeymoon Bay is 'officially' 60 kph. The same road in the U.S. or Alberta would be 100 kph.

:1drink
  5. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    soon Bubba , soon, you can ride it during the week :) anytime you want
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Boy ain't that the truth? We were going clockwise, the ride from Renfrew to Lake Cowichan was spirited and mostly made up for the pokey traffic on the west side.
    I avoid stuck-in-traffic parking lots, just not into it any more. The southern interior has so many options....as does the north island
  7. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    I often do the Sooke to Cowichan loop in the summer. And find midweek and early in the morning is pretty decent. I come down from QB so go straight down to Langford and enter that way and come out just north of Duncan. I find that best to avoid traffic. I also find any attempt after 10 am makes a huge difference for traffic volume.
    shuswap1 and 3rdeng like this.
  8. 3rdeng

3rdeng doing grandpa duty Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would agree with your comments except for the part about the North Island. I will state that i am primarily a paved rider but I did do years of gravel touring. Unless you are training for the Dakar the North Island , actually the whole Island blows. Nice scenery but no roads unless you are willing to throw the dice with budget contractors hauling as much wood out as possible or fight the jacked up 4x4's on the weekends. Ymmv!

I do agree there are roads and chunks of roads in the southern interior that will knock your socks off.

Ride the Tunkwa Lake Rd up from Savona. Enjoy the Barnhartvale Rd up to the 97. After you've passed all the Harleys parked at the pub in Falkland do the 16 km south until you hit Salmon River Rd, turn left and go for lunch in Salmon Arm.

If you like a bit of tire sweat do 5A between Merritt and Kamloops, a very nice, quick hwy with very little traffic. A fairly technical ride....at
    speed!!

If you've got time, do any of the roads into and out of the Kootenays/Boundry Country area. Cherryville to the ferry stands out, as does Nakusp to New Denver and into Kaslo.

If you can arrange the days off, do all of this Tues to Thursday, leave the road open for the pro riders from out of province to take over on Fri to Mon....and for the volunteers to respond.

So many "chunks" of road to explore in BC but, unfortunately they are all connected by the same three old roads. The Fraser Canyon is wonderful but, again, just a chunk.
    99 from Lillooet to Pemberton is a fucking joke now with tour busses and a 60kmh limit...never mind every asshole from Surrey on their Ducatis and that's without mentioning the death race that is Whistler to Horseshoe Bay.

The Hope -Princeton is a beauty from Hope to Princeton but pretty heavy traffic. 97 north from Cache Creek blows...it blows all the way to Alaska.

As I reread this I agree with all of you who say "what a whiny bitch".........I fucking miss Oregon, Northern California, Idaho, Eastern Wash,............fuck
    Deuce, gpfan and shuswap1 like this.
  9. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will say I miss Pender Is, probably the older version from the 80s. High bank house in Magic lake, 20 years of BC Ferries schedule from Tsawwassen was enough, used Earl Hastings airport regularly, what a true Gentleman he was.
    If you are running out of roads then I suggest you up the game to include dirt, pass Falkland and the dopey harley squad, head to Westwold, turn south into the Douglas Lake Cattle area.....a whole new world awaits, drop out the west side to Quilchena....fast and fun road, little traffic, then north to Kamloops. Or Quilchena to Whiteman Creek Rd/Vernon/Westside
    There are too many, including Squilax Bridge North Shuswap via Perry River to Craigallachie. Mabel Lake to Three Valley. Some of these carry risk of logging but that is usually evident and requires extra care and the tires will see dirt, but that keeps the traffic count down too.
    So much to do, so little time.....
    3rdeng and gpfan like this.
  10. 3rdeng

Oddometer:
    Yeah I hear ya, I am leaving Pender fairly soon, just gotta get care set up for my brother first. Looking at Midway BC.
    I started riding in the dirt, and rode in some trial "six day type events" put on by a fellow in Kamloops in the early 80's that were amazing. I had my 175 Can Am and envied my buddys 250 KTM, brand new to the market back then.
    Got married, forgot about bikes for twenty odd years and got back into them in my late forties. I put about 50k on a KLR over many summers and rode so many gravel roads and routes throughout Southern BC and the Kootenays! I even discovered the joy of riding or rather sliding in the Cariboo country after a light rain!!!!
    Some of my last rides on the KLR were discovering all the "illegal gates" the Wal Mart bitch was putting up on public roads in the Douglas Lake area.
    I transitioned to road riding about 15 years ago with my buddy and now have my RT and a huge smile on my face when spring shows up. This Aug we are throwing the bikes into a van and visiting his daughter in Montreal with a few planned 'loop' stops including the Gaspe'.
    I am hoping the borders are reopened in late Aug and I could get dumped off in Thunder Bay on the return and go down to CedarVale and meet the CSMer's!!
    If your a dirt rider BC is tops, some wonderful roads and routes!
    Fishnbiker, gpfan and shuswap1 like this.
  11. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are very few gates now in Douglas lake, just nasty illegal signs that refer to private lands but fail to explain that the road is legal access. I think the bitch is a male now, married into that lovely family. Sounds like you have some great plans to look forward to!
    gpfan and 3rdeng like this.
  12. 3rdeng

Oddometer:
    Really good to hear. I do see a small dual sport in the future.......with perfect weather and wonderful backcountry lodges beckoning me in my post 65th year dreaming....:drink
    shuswap1 and gpfan like this.
  13. 150miler

150miler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, Douglas Lake Cattle Company, a wonderful corporation. They have been buying up ranches throughout the Cariboo over the last several years and slapping up 'No Trespassing' signs on roads that had previously been accessible to all. Came across one of their locked gates (fortunately open on that day) that was on a Forest Service road south of their home ranch, didn't think that was legal, but hey, they have been trying (through the courts) to keep people from accessing lakes for years. No, I'm not in the least bit bitter...:bluduh
    shuswap1 and gpfan like this.
  14. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Yup. Such a remarkably good feeling too. Today is the first Monday at work... I’ve ever done stress free. And the last Monday ...Evar!!
    gpfan, jon_l and devildogg like this.
  15. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is a battle not yet won by the citizens of BC but I remain hopeful. The landowner, a spouse of a Walmart heiress, has received, according to the Judge, remarkable assistance from the BC provincial authorities, remarkable assistance from the RCMP and remarkable assistance from the highways authorities.
    https://www.wcel.org/blog/edrf-victory-nicola-valley-fish-and-game-club-wins-fight-public-access
    We owe a great deal to the one group of volunteers, the Nicola Valley Fish and game club who have fought this battle relentlessly.
    3rdeng, gpfan and MGV8 like this.
  16. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, we need a right to wander like in Britain.
    Bayner and shuswap1 like this.
  17. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    Just for those who might look at this and have yet to visit, here is a couple of photos to give you some idea what this place looks like.
    DL Cattle Co.JPG Douglas Lake Ranchlands2.JPG
    P1000931.JPG
    DLRanch.jpg DouglasLakeRoadLandscape.jpg
    OldCabin.jpg
  18. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    And so ...........one phase of life winds down and another new phase of life begins. To new beginnings! May you prosper.

Today the Kelowna phase of life here officially is in the wind down phase as the conditions for sale of my house were met and the place is now officially sold and we now have 3 months to find new digs, move and begin our new life phase.

For those of you considering Kelowna as a potential retirement place right now, here is my experience with real estate in Kelowna at the moment.

Our house listed on MLS on Monday the 15th at 10am. By 11am there were 6 people who were scheduled to view on Tuesday. By 5pm there were an additional 8 to view on Wednesday. By Tuesday at 6pm there were 2 offers to purchase over the asking price. Wednesday brought in 2 more and one of the Tuesday offers was revised to increase the offer price as it was clear a bidding war was on.

We decided to close the showing of the house on Wednesday PM as the inquiries and traffic was ridiculous. On Thursday AM we reviewed the offers and chose the 2nd highest offer ($1.015M) as it had the fewest conditions (all cash) and today the 23rd the inspection was completed and the conditions lifted and the $50K deposit paid.

If you are planning on coming here, bring cash (LOTS of it). Watch the new MLS listings everyday, be the first to view and when you see what you want bid high and have as few conditions as possible.

In the 6 years we were here our home almost doubled in value. I am glad I retired early and moved to Kelowna as I made way more tax free money by retiring than working for an additional 6 years.

Location & timing is everything and I just got lucky.

I will not miss the crazy traffic and wild drivers in this valley and I hope to find a more peaceful local in BC. I may occasionally miss my Kelowna view thou.
    s3.jpg s4.jpg
    yamty175, MGV8, G-Mac and 6 others like this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job! So I guess you will not be riding up to visit me at Mabel Lake via the Trinity Valley road?
  20. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    Surprisingly Cal, that direction became one of my standby rides as I could do it from home with MINIMAL pavement (crazy drivers).
    Capture.JPG
    I am looking forward to having a new home-base for day rides and to be honest I am tired of doing the same day rides from Kelowna.

Enjoy Mable & Cheers!
    Bill 310, Cal and Fishnbiker like this.