B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trinity was in decent shape last fall but I've heard the east side of Mabel is a pot-holed wonder. Any truth to that?
    Spanking new asphalt from just east of Enderby to Mabel, should be cured and ready for action this spring/summer.
    Does that ride track include Three valley from Mabel? That's another decent ride, except for the paved return circuit, think I'll just back-track on the dirt next time.
    Mt Mara is of interest but my riding companions are silent whenever it comes up, wimps they are!
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    a few years ago I drove my Acura integra to the base of Mt Mara lookout, had to pick my lines lol...PS dont tell my wife.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  3. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
    Sometimes the better part of valor is caution and knowing your limits..........I have learned this one the hard way. :1drink
    3rdeng likes this.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't tell her, but that's still a nifty tidbit I can use!
  5. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your relocation! Truly. Maybe rent or long stay motel as you explore places. ? Look about. Replicating that view, not that house ... is the most difficult challenge you face.
  6. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    hmmmmm...................... yes, choices, choices, choices?
    When you are retired your choices are only restricted by your adaptability. I (we) still don't know if a Skiidoo Tundra or a big whale spotting scope need to be ordered?
    Likely, the fate of what happens will come down to what pops up on the BC real estate market in the next 30 days. (?):jjen

PS. take care of that knee and do not take NO for an answer in getting it fixed. You will heal slower as you age and your quality of life will be better with fully functional knees. I have had both feet rebuilt in the last year and know the medical games played to try and convince people to just learn to live with problems that will eventually cripple you. I have also had meniscus flaps removed in both knees (right knee done in Kelowna a couple of years ago) and know that what happens with one injured knee or foot is that........... the body compensates by putting too much stress on the other knee/foot/hip and lower back. Eventually, if left long enough the added stress/compensation damages the other parts and everything seems to hurt and you are out-of-alignment in your movements. Fixing the original problem is the only answer before you permanently damage the other parts that are compensating for your bad knee. Braces and drugs don't fix knees or feet - they just mask the problem.

PSS. not that I want to relive my past pain but FYI my knee and foot problems started here:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/bc-big-adventure-trail-ride-2012.747592/page-36 beginning at #704, #714 & #733
    ...........and I am certain that over-compensation during recovery from this event combined with family genetics eventually lead to having to fix my knees and feet.
    Cheers, J
  7. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
  8. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It’s an interesting process.
  9. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first kiss part or the retirement part? :D
    Congratulations!
    borscht zanetti and OceanMtnSea like this.
  10. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Whomever, equated a first kiss, with the insane pleasure and sublime moment of retirement fulfilled .... clearly misunderstood the chapter on oral sex.
    Ymirtrials likes this.
  11. OceanMtnSea

Oddometer:
    Take it easy........you have time.........don't try to do it all in the first day!
    Alz.png

....or maybe you should?
    gpfan, Bayner, MGV8 and 1 other person like this.
  12. klahanie

klahanie n00b

Oddometer:
    Agree, much credit and thanks should to the NV Fish and Gun Club for their efforts.
    Sadly, it's not over yet...
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ney-lake-ranch-appeal-court-merritt-1.5938741
  13. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at pulling the pin on the corporate world here in Calgary and retiring to the Okanogan with my wife and daughters family to build up and run a ADV motorcycle retreat/campground. Enough urban bullshit, covid protocols & shaming, and indoctrination of my grandkids at school.

My wife and I have been riding ADV bikes on long trips all over Canada, US, and the world since 2007 and have decided to do something we are passionate about, and where we can provide a place for riders to enjoy themselves after a hard day ride with the amenities that we often look for with options. Tent spots, full service cabins, showers, laundry facilities, workship, wash bay, food, beer, and swapping stories with like minded riders. If possible, initial opening will be 2022 if all goes well.

It may not be retirement to some, but compared to my current job pressures, this will be a walk in the park.
    MacNoob, caribooster, G-Mac and 7 others like this.
  14. crash111

crash111 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Taurkon, I hear you about being tired of the bs.........you build a campground I would definitely come. Sounds like a great idea, hope you make it work.
  15. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is still going eh ? We left the Island and settled in Chilliwack. Great weather, real prices, close to Hope and WA state in normal times and no more ferry rides !

Hey give it some thought ;)
    G-Mac likes this.
  16. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sign me up. You'll need an electrician to ride the groups around I'm sure.....
  17. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is it there. We replenished stocks there while searching for a lost hiker this past fall. And I quite liked it.
  18. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, the court found for the rich folks. The court essentially gave them the public lakes, stocked with public funds, to become a fishing loge for wealthy "sports".

Courts can only uphold laws, so the solution is to change the laws.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Totally sucks
  20. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a time to be buying a house any where in BC. Seems to be a buying/feeding frenzy on. Little shitter houses in Salmon Arm are selling same day/week they are put on the market and for over asking. Don't even think about putting subjects on the purchase, you won't get it. I'd rent for a year if you can find a place and wait for the froth to die off a bit. Sister says the same is going on in the Coldstream Lumby area.