B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. klahanie

klahanie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, best retirement is about doing what you want - if you're fortunate enough to be able to. Better to play safe tho and not wait :-)

Biggest thing I noticed was the number of people around who don't seem to work. Wife had the same sentiment when she took time off. You're out enjoying your freedom, doing your thing during the day and there's always tons of other folks doing the same. Shocking how many folks don't seem to work when one considers the cost of living (esp housing) in the LML. Most of my neighbours don't work. Some retired, some have "other resources", some are never home...

Latest realtor flyer states benchmark detached home is $1.621M for Met Van. And included the gem, "Personally, if I had a home to sell I would sell it now."

IDK, I think post pandemic - if there is such a thing - we'll see a lot of movement into and around BC. You can bail but it's a lot tougher to hide out.
    shuswap1 likes this.
  2. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC

You do realize you are NOT helping yourself by blatantly advertising this type of thing!............but then again, perhaps you want some new outside blood lines in the local community?
  3. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been retired for 3 years now and don't know how I had time for work! But then I didn't work much, my best year was 201 days off!

Cheers
    borscht zanetti likes this.
  4. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Built in 1971, sold for $85,000 in Nov 1989.
    2021 assessment $460,000.
    gpfan likes this.
  6. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :eek7
  7. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not surprising I bought a brand new house in Fernie in 1981 $82,000 now it's closer to $700,000 - 750,000.
    cal08 likes this.
  8. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice. Congrats. I skied Fernie as a young man. Good memories there.
  9. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I don't think my wages has seen that kind out increase since 81. :dirtdog
  10. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    MGV8 likes this.
  11. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly I sold it in 84 :( :2cry
  12. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    REALLY? gee you should work harder... stay focused :lol3
    MGV8 likes this.
  13. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Sold our house in Oak Bay in 2005. I actually don’t want to know what it’s worth today. :pep
  14. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah. Not to worry. 20 - 20 is a waste of time. I had 2 opportunities that i didn't take that would have catapulted me to the above average rich. My wife hates knowing this.

Edit: thinking about this more. If anything was different, I would've met different people, and I would not have the things I now have in my life that are truly important to me: my family and kids. I really DGAF about being rich. (Not to say it wouldn't be nice once in a while).
    The Maz, shuswap1 and devildogg like this.
  15. youngforever

youngforever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Real estate is a non sense in BC. Retirees and Asian got everything out of control. I bought a lot to build, changed my mind sold the lot with seven fold profits in three years. I still live in BC, I work only the weekends from june 15 to labour's day in a resort and I'm given a full hook up pad yearound. So full time rving/riding about four months a year and the remaining months I ride in Mexico or in South America. The owner is extremely happy, so it looks like I can't have a better deal.
    jon_l, Cal, shuswap1 and 2 others like this.
  16. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds stellar to me. Congrats.
  17. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the moment I have my health, so I feel very wealthy!

Cheers
    manybike and Holaday like this.
  18. MGV8

Oddometer:
    It's all perspective. Dad owned 5 acres on River Narrows in Sicamous, where all the House boat Companies are now. I think he had bought it in the fifties before I was a glimmer in his eye. We had a picnic there when I was a kid. I remember mosquitos and swamp. Mom was not Impressed. He sold it early 70s for six times what he paid for it, 18 grand rings a bell. He was ecstatic that some small investment had paid off so well and helped us out at the time. Now of course it's worth millions but there is still lots of mosquitoes :lol3. Just shows that things stay the same it's just the numbers that change.
    borscht zanetti and devildogg like this.
  19. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey young is the current situation causing you problems cause it is for many friends of mine both AZ and MX types ...
  20. youngforever

youngforever Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I worked at the resort as usual, was down in Mexico this fall and Colombia this winter so my wife could say good bye to family and friends and she passed away earlier this month. We learnt that she had a ''six letters words'' and only had a few months left in September. At least we took an early retirement and we did for six years what we enjoyed the most. We did quite few of our dearest dreams. I have some sadness, and I'm sure I will have some rough time, but it helps so much to look ahead contempling I have dreams still within my reach that my kids dream to do with me and I don't want to give them up.
    tlrmark, G-Mac, MGV8 and 4 others like this.