1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Condolences on your loss, that is a tough outcome. But life goes on and having something to look forward to, which you clearly do, can be the best approach to going forward.
    I would think that having travel plans like yours, to the south during winter, would be ideal.
    MGV8 and gpfan like this.
  2. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look what's happening south of Revelstoke. What used to be future TFLs, growing trees for harvest in eighty years are now housing developments. Exurbs of Revelstoke! In a little over a decade it has gone from an affordable small town to an evil city worthy of escape.
    MGV8 and gpfan like this.
  3. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    The Poutine sure degraded at the Nomad in the last 10yrs.:-)
  4. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Resort skiing is the evil catalyst, all my favorite places I can't afford anymore. Fernie, Rossland, Rvevelstoke damn tourist and globalization. I never was good at sharing but it's a fact of life in todays world. Pay or don't play. If you look objectively it's obvious why people migrate to these places the urbanites have discovered what we always knew, can't blame them, it is what it is so like I said pay or don't play. If I lived on the lower mainland or Kelowna I would sell my soul or mortgage the shit out of things to get out of there.
  5. manybike

manybike Omnipresent Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, Health is wealth. We must never forget that.
    Droptarotter and borscht zanetti like this.
  6. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've run into a few challenges with zoning in the Grand Forks area, but am looking at 3 properties next weekend in Northern Okanagan. Prices are steeper, but some great locations with lots of established infrastructure that would work perfectly for a motorcycle retreat/campground and good zoning to boot.

Yes, there seems to be a real estate frenzy kicking off right now, but I am already in the market with a high priced home, so it matters not as long as their is somewhat equal price increases.
  7. Carmmond

Carmmond S.E. WI

Oddometer:
    Just remember when retiring to keep in mind to have good end of life resources close bye..... my parents retired in northern Wisconsin in the nice quiet woods but later in life he got dementia and family is 3 hours away and it’s a total mess!
    They retired about 15 years ago.
    gpfan likes this.
  8. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    Taurkon,
    You may have found it already, but the other night I found a place somewhere East of Vernon, around Trinity maybe? An RV park in progress with some spots installed and plans for more. I’ll try and see if I can find it again.

Edit: Looked for some time and it's either not in the location I thought it was or it is gone. Sorry
  9. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    A good friend bought property in Grand Forks, and a cabin on Jewel Lake. Stays in GF during the winter and up at the cabin for the summer. Pretty laid back, I love it there.
  10. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    We're struggling with that right now. Looking at some really nice places. Peace and tranquillity, but farther away from everything we'll need more of as we age.
    gpfan and Carmmond like this.
  11. Carmmond

Carmmond S.E. WI

Oddometer:
    My dad is my BEST friend but I will tell you this is killing me and my sister. I'm 3hrs away and she is 1hr away with MS and mom don't drive and dad lost his license due to the dementia and an accident.... I have to drive 6hrs every three weeks to take them shopping and remove garbage and I'm 54 with a 6 and 8yr old kids..... Very testing!
    Just wanted to give a thought out to everyone thinking about their last home and the effects it can have on family.
  12. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of memories from fishing on Jewel lake as a kid with my Dad there were no cabins except the little fishing cabins at the south end I should go back and see it
    , Or maybe not?
  13. klahanie

klahanie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL, I know what you mean. There's a spot I used to regret not buying land in when I was young and active in the area but now not so much because of development. But the example I'll use is of an older friend of mine who's father was among the first group of folks to buy property around Green Lake, BC, right when the first cat road access was put in. Now there's a road all around and the many cottages are steadily converting to full time use or being built new as huge homes. Lot's of changes.

OTOH the improved roads and larger community might make it a "better" place to retire in terms of health care and community services access.

Funny story, same buddy visits his elderly parents at the lake and gets some cut-eye and snide, "well look who finally showed up" type comments from the neighbours. Turns out his parents had been telling them their only child wasn't bothering or keeping in touch etc., which was quite untrue. It was the alzheimers talking...

As for older parents moving away from family and future caregivers, I've seen it the other way, children at retirement or early retirement moving away from the aging folks - in part to avoid being 'too close'. With people living longer it's bound to happen and if you're sitting on expensive real estate there's that tempting option to cash out.

We haven't done that yet - still in the LMD 'cause the wife still wants to work - but it's coming. Figure we'll end up somewhere on VI or in the Koots - been following this tread for inspiration. The longer we leave it tho the more the "access to healthcare services" worry comes up. And of course the inevitable, "it's too cold there" !

There's definitely a window of time to make that big move.
    gpfan likes this.
  14. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    Bingo! The first ten years is all fun & games, then the last ten,.......cutting and splitting wood, clearing snow, dealing with winter in general. Who’s got the crystal ball. You don’t know whether those kind of activities will keep you mobile and young or if you won’t be up to the task.
    It’s funny, I’m dying to get away from the lower wasteland. My buddy, been in the Kootenays all his life has had enough of dealing with winter and wants out! Grass is always greener I guess.
  15. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I guess it depends where in the kootenays my lawn was showing most of the winter, not lower mainland warm but warm enough
  16. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm staying put, Been my whole life in the Shuswap. 35 plus years in the same house and I've seen a lot of changes and people come and go. The newbies think the've moved to Paradise, but it's getting too busy for me. My trouble is all the males in my family going back a few generations have died of various things in their mid 70s. That gives me 10 years and I'm still a year from retirement. Not that I don't have enough money, I'm Self employed and its hard to just shut it down. Responsible for a bunch of others. Going to soon before that Alzheimer's kicks in. Wife says it has already :lol3 Soon Please soon
    shuswap1 likes this.
  17. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Take your kayak.
  18. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmm trailer behind the 1090???
  19. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer: