1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

B.C. Best Places to Retire Thread.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by yamalama, Feb 13, 2015.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Twas an unusual winter. Not complaining though. Less shoveling fine by me.
  2. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    So true. The Koots cover a huge amount of territory and I wouldn't even hazard to guess how many different climates/microclimates.
  3. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    The southwest end is Jewel Lake Resort, was owned by an ex NHL hockey player until he sold it a few years ago. New owners are much friendlier, dude was a drunken prick. They rent canoes and kayaks, 10hp/10mph speed limit on the lake which makes it great for kayaking or paddle boarding. A lot of the land on the northwest side is either private or leased from the native band, but there's a shitload of cabins. Some pretty nice ones, and some that have been there for 50 or 60 years. The one my buddy bought was built in the late 50's by a German man. Very solid log cabin with a stone and concrete basement.

Jewel Lake campground is on the northeast end of the lake, it was established in the 80's as a provincial park. There are some cabins on the southeast side of the lake, but the powerline only services a few on that side.

A 52lb Gerrard trout was supposedly caught in that lake, I've been a regular there for the last 6 years and haven't seen anything more than a pound or two being caught. Plenty of crayfish tho, a couple hours in the evening walking in the shallow water with a flashlight and a net will get you a good feed.

It's one of the most peaceful places I've ever had the privilege of visiting, I can only imagine how it was 50 years ago. No cell service, no boats or sea doos ripping around, and the call of the loons all evening. Canadiana at it's finest. I go every year at least once, my buddy lets me and a few friends use his cabin as it's a great spot to base from and ride.
    borscht zanetti and Holaday like this.
  4. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't recall the log cabin but the folks that owned the "resort" in the 60's were and elderly couple so very nice they rented small aluminum fishing boats, there was a 2 seater outhouse out back and a hand pump in the cabin. The 52 lb gerrad I believe was caught in the spawning creek not on a legal line and hook.
    I guess I need to go back and see the changes not likely I will be happy about them
    inverted likes this.
  5. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    From summer 2019 on jewel, wife and I out for an early morning paddle in our tandem kayak.

IMG_0036.JPG
  6. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Beautiful and so close to the thriving metropolis of Greenwood.
  7. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A buddy of mine just bought in Grand Forks Overlooking Christina Lake. I'm super Jelly.
  8. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys need to stop talking it up about the southern interior, looks like we are getting attention from as far east as Ontario........:dirtdog
    HatesSnow, MGV8 and 250senuf like this.
  9. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    How’s this ...
    Christina Lake is pretty, but crazy touristy in the summer. In the fall it feels like a Howard Johnson’s after a Shriners Convention. Winter? Well, hope you can make your beer!
  10. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  11. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:
    ‘fraid so. Talking to a real estate agent the other day about the lunacy in the market right now. Rural BC is getting inundated, not only with folks escaping the city, but also folks from the east that are sick and tired of lockdowns et al and heading west to try and escape it.:(
  12. Ymirtrials

Oddometer:
    Move along, move along....nothing to see here other than trees getting hugged and traffic jams on the way to the beer store....:uhoh
    HatesSnow, G-Mac and V1Vr like this.
  13. G-Mac

G-Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am from the East. But lived in Banff and beyond for some time. Came back here. But always dreamed of moving back. Not for a while though. Just sold here to take advantage of the crazy market. Need about 5 more years. Then decisions will be made.
    If it helps I'm not one of those citiots. And I cook and share beer.........just sayin.
    jon_l likes this.
  14. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    My friend that bought the cabin gets called the "Albertan" by the neighbors...he was born and raised in Valemount BC, lived in BC all his life and works for a BC crane company. They started a branch in my hometown here in Alberta and sent him to get it up and running, he showed up once to his property in a work truck with AB plates and has forever been dubbed the Albertan. He's a cool cat, when people get rude about it he makes a joke and laughs it off but I can tell it bothers him.
    MGV8 and G-Mac like this.
  15. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol I moved to Fernie from Trail in 1980 lived there until 2019 My ski buddies still refer to me as that Trail guy or Red Mtn guy. You can build 120 bridges but screw one sheep they won't call you bridge builder :)
    ggrant, Bayner, MGV8 and 1 other person like this.
  16. borscht zanetti

Oddometer:
    Just because I don’t wear a Salmo dinner jacket, I am dubbed the Victoria yuppie. If you weren’t born here, you are just a visitor. Sniff ... :2cry oh the pain... the pain.

I guess I do need to buy a Smoke Eaters Tshirt and a camo hat er ....
    V1Vr likes this.
  17. inverted

inverted Berwyn rocks

Oddometer:
    I hear lots of stories about the BC/AB hatred but have never experienced it myself in 40 years of visiting. I have seen the behaviour of some my fellow Albertans while recreating in BC and all I can do is shake my head. The actions of a few have a detrimental effect on the many.
    grashopper likes this.
  18. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a bit of truth in that, my neighbours in the Shu are predominantly Calgarians or come from AB before retirement. At the local (v Busy) boat ramp I joke the screw-ups are Albertans but, in reality, that is not often the case. They sure do love their fireworks, even more so at the height of fire risk season, however!
    MGV8 likes this.
  19. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Last year or so Salmon Arm got voted one of the best small cities in BC/Canada. Can't remember which. Not necessarily the best thing to happen. Business community was happy but the rest of town is going to shite. Building houses all over, ripping out the green spaces, too much traffic on roads that weren't designed for it, City is going to be spending many millions on infrastructure upgrades over the next couple of years. Crime and homelessness are up, Isn't it all over? The lake on our end is getting so mucky you don't want to swim in it any more, you certainly don't want to drink water from it. So our peaceful little town is being quickly turned into the city that every one coming here is trying to escape. Hell! we even get yelled at now for walking our dog off leash on trails I built 30 years ago so I could walk my dog off leash. :dirtdog NIMBY rant :D
  20. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MGV8 for Mayor!
    Sadly SA is taking the brunt of the poor choices. Weird water blooms in that end, probably due to nitrogen run-off and shitty sewer treatment. Just don't tell anyone how much better it is a few miles away from there.
    MGV8 likes this.