B C Big Trailie Ride 5

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MANXMAN, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 00Buck

00Buck dirt rules

Oddometer:
    That relic is 'Toadride'... :freaky

The town might be Trout Lake going by memory. Correct me if wrong. :deal
  2. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rayof Very funny, Buck. But even a relic like me was fascinated by that pump. She takes your ten bucks and says "I guess that's about a gallon and a half", pumps the handle which actually pumps fuel into the glass. At 1.5 gals., she stops and hands me the nozzle. Gravity does the rest. And it's high test!
  3. biggyfries

biggyfries Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was my first BC Big Trailie event, and I want to thank Manxman for his organizational skills. I came to the event not sure what the roads looked like, but I knew I wanted to attend, I just had a bike set up a bit too much pavement-oriented, and when the route got rough and dusty I had to bail out. I have ridden with guys who were 'outgunned' or didn't have the ability to keep with the pack, and I am not especially kind to those riders. I definitely didn't want to be that guy who everyone else has to coddle along--so I did take off, but not before several riders displayed lots of patience and sincere concern for me and my inadequate mount. My Strom is a great bike and I love it but she was like a fish out of water when we left the pavement. My thanks to the guys who showed me such courtesy.

My brother and I went our own way, and he is also to be thanked for his willingness to break off with me--his KLR was more than up to the task of this ride, but we toured the region together and had a great time on our own, but I am inspired to use my own KLR next year, and get the maximum enjoyment out of this event!

We met some fine riding partners and had a good time--we'll be better prepared next time. Thanks again Ross.
  4. T.Low

T.Low Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked forward to this thread and the onewheel drive video.

I saw atleast one late model KLR in the group (red and grey I believe).

Not to derail this into a review thread, but as this is the exact type of trip I'd want to do, how'd the KLR do on this trip? Top speeds ok? Packing wise? Handling on gravel while loaded?

I figure with a the low price of the late model KLR, I'm riding without breaking the bank vs not riding while waiting to save up $.

Thanks again for the thread.
  5. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    The search for new Big Trailie roads is on again. I found this one last weekend and gave it a passing grade. Scenic, no traffic, and surprisingly smooth.

[​IMG]

It even had a great place to have a coffee break and watch the beavers work.
    [​IMG]

Now if you will excuse me, I have to get back to work. I have a stack of TKC80s to wear out.:D
  6. hontri

hontri Global Bummer!

Oddometer:
    As a first time Big Trailie rider all i can say is WOW!! what a blast.My wife and i rode two up and really enjoyed the ride.Great selection of terrain,super friendly people,excellent scenery and awesome barbecue. Our hats off to Ross for making this such a memorable ride. Big Trailie 6!!! Is it June yet?:clap
  7. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    You enjoy yourself Ross....it's well deserved.

I also agree with Honti "Is is June yet????" :cry
  8. cariboo_JT

cariboo_JT less n00b

Oddometer:
    As a first timer on the BTR, I gotta say I was FILLED UP!

I can't say I've ever had so much fun anywhere. or with nicer, more generous people on two wheels, or two legs for that matter:freaky

Many thanks to Ross, Bev and any others who pitched in to make this such a memorable event.

I'm with Ron...... Is it June yet?:wink:

I need to also recommend for anyone considering jumping in for the skills clinic if Russ can make it happen next year.... DON'T HESITATE. I'm sure I avoided some serious downtime because of Russ's insight and advice.

Jim T
    A little less N00b, A little more ADVrider
  9. lexota

lexota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again Manxman! We had a great time this year, and having dirt tires made all the difference! It was great to see people from last year, and meeting new faces at this years ride!

It adds so much to the fun when you have great maps and directions - you can really focus on the ride. What beautiful areas we traveled through - I'm always amazed at getting on dirt roads I've passed by numerous times and never knew where they could have taken me...

We'll see you next year!:D
  10. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks nice! Drop me a line if you are out wearing out tires in the Shuswap area!

11. longwaytim

longwaytim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everything Ross!! Had a fantastic time. Great decal too!
  12. JgB

JgB nuther noob

Oddometer:
    From a riding skill level, there is much to learn but this is DEFINITELY the way to do it! Thanks to you both Manxman & Manxwoman [or is that the other way 'round? lol] :bow !!
  13. oldtrout

oldtrout Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    (Spoiler) Is that Eakin Creek road (old hwy 24) ?

Good fish'n spot.

Next year, I'm in! Like to meet you.

Cheers
    logan
  14. obstacle

obstacle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I looked at 5 threads from all BC Big Trailie Rides and judging by photos it seems to me there has been significant decline of V-Stroms attending the ride. Is that correct and if so what might be the reason? I would come next year on my DL650 which is being suitably modified with crash bars,skid plate, stiffer suspension, etc.
  15. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    I have attended 3 BCBTR on my DL650 and intend on having it with me on a 4th. I noticed the reduced numbers of V-Stroms and a large number of F800GS. I think the F800 would be great for the BCBTR, in fact there were so many last year I went for a test ride this summer. I really liked it but it's a very different bike. I ride a fair amount of pavement and I just didn't feel it would have the long distance comfort I get from the Wee.

Perhaps we'll be the only 2 Stroms there next year :)
  16. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I saw this thread had a new message I wondered for a second if there was some news for next year but I suspect the Manx Meister is still enjoying his well deserved fall hiatus from ADV to recharge his batteries.

Look forward to January when we might see the 'new' thread started for next June... :clap
  17. Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Life is Good !!! Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    Hey Ron ..... I was thinking the same thing. Hope to ride with you and everyone at BCBTR 6

Drew (formally Drew The Rev )

18. swissvinnie

swissvinnie n00b

Oddometer:
    Is there one pland for next year??

and dose any one know about any ADV rides going on in Vancouver some time before that ?

thx
  19. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Hi Ron:wave

There will be a BC BIG TRAILIE RIDE 6.

Dates will be June 17-18-19 2011

Mostly new roads never done on the previous 5 rides.

There are a few details I am still working on.:deal
    I will post the new thread for BCBTR 6 by the end of November.

Looking forward to getting together with everyone again,
    Manxman
  20. DRRambler

DRRambler AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer:
    Calendar is marked :clap