B C Big Trailie Ride 5

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MANXMAN, Nov 2, 2009.

1. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:
    The ride doesn't go to Fauquier. Do you mean the part from the Arrow Park Ferry to Shelter Bay?

If so, it is pretty much like the rest of the gravel roads on this years route. Shouldn't present any problems. I am going to pre-ride all the gravel sections just before the event just to make sure everything is a go.
  2. storch

storch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My mistake.I mistook the Needles-Fauquier ferry for the Arrowpark ferry,which I have not used yet.-So the whole trip is what I call "bad road"
    (like logging roads) and not really offroad.
  3. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Old Git

Oddometer:
    Basically the ride is made up of about 50/50 paved and good gravel roads (no single track or trails) which are easy to moderate in difficulty. If a grader has passed over one of the gravel roads a few days before the ride, which happened a few years ago, then that section can be very loose and some riders have fallen. If it rains like it did last year, sections can get a bit slippy and the difficulty level can go up. Because of the rain last year, I had a rider tell me that the route was unsafe and will not be back for this year's BCBTR.:dunno

I have ridden all these roads and feel they are fine for an average rider even on a big fat Dual Sport like my Adventure. If the weather is good, riders won't even need knobbies. I did my best to find gravel roads that I thought would be ok regardless of the weather, but there might be some bad spots anyway.
  4. longwaytim

longwaytim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am an average rider with just a few off road rides under my belt. I had no problem with last years ride other than a few "exciting" moments... it was challenging enough for me & a whole lot of fun. I appreciated that you could ride at your own pace without feeling any pressure to ride beond your comfort zone.. unless you want to :evil ... Just remember to turn off your ABS... :D
  5. rockies-GS

rockies-GS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cool i'll ride your pace then. I hope to be able to make it and this should be my first trailie ride. Have not much dirt experience.

Laurent
  6. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Laurent you'll do fine....Long Way and I were in the same boat and both survived.

The ride was absolutely hilarious......after one particular leg of the second day I caught up to Manxman and told him that I had a grin on my face my ear to ear the whole way. I likened it to being a young kid who just got off the best ride at the fair and raced around to the ticket booth to get another one.....

I wouldn't miss his Traillie Ride for nuttin.......:D

Oh.....and given my limited experience I thought it was very safe with lots of support from other riders.
  7. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Geez I may have to sign up for this ride.
  8. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    I put in for leave from work for Monday thru Sunday, so if this is approved I will be available as early as Tuesday for the "Off-Road Clinic".

Unfortunately I don't know if that is going to be approved... out of my hands.

I'm flexible one way or another, and will see how things progress.

I will still need someone up there to find a place that gives a good change of terrain with some mild elevation.

PWGS
  9. SheWolf

SheWolf Under Your Bed

Oddometer:
    Ooooh...damn that looks like a rockin ride planned out. And it goes right thru my stomping grounds! Should I or shouldn't I....hmmm...:lol3
  10. cariboo_JT

cariboo_JT less n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm so new at this I haven't even got my new ride home from the P.O.'s place yet :cry but after watching the video posted from last year...... I WANNA GO TOO! I'm probably on a par with LongWay for off road experience, but I figure I still have four months to change that. Please add me to the list.
  11. cariboo_JT

cariboo_JT less n00b

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention, will also be looking for a roomie. Let me know if you haven't set one up yet Bora20.
  12. Fishnbiker

Fishnbiker Tire smuddy, hook swet

Oddometer:
    Campbell River, Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
    I might be interested in sharing. Would that be for all 3 nights?

Ken in Campbell River
  13. SheWolf

SheWolf Under Your Bed

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna go, you gave me good reason Ross. Add me to the list. I'll shack up with Tibby. My little R² needs a good play session with the big boys. :D
  14. cariboo_JT

cariboo_JT less n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Fishnbiker, I would be booking for all three nights of the ride and probably one before and one after since it's a nine hour ride from here to Nakusp according to Google maps.

My time off work isn't 100% yet, should find out tomorrow.

Jim in Quesnel
  15. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing I would need a room for Thursday, Friday, Saturday night for sure. Sunday night is possible, then I'm off to Goldbridge, but scheduling is open for me. Interested in going home via Bonaparte Lake area through backroads a bit after finishing the ride? I might be interested in going up as far as Clinton, then heading west to the Fraser, then down to Lillooet. I'm riding a 95 Triumph Tiger possibly loaded with camping gear, depending on who else I talk into joining me.
  16. cariboo_JT

cariboo_JT less n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken, I'd be staying Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then riding home from Princeton after lunch Sunday. I thought I'd go through Merritt and Logan Lake to Cache Creek/Clinton on the way home.I'm not sure of the route through Bonaparte yet I'll check it out but I don't see any reason not to. I'll be riding an '06 F650 GS.
    Jim

Oh yeah, forgot to mention .... time off is confirmed.
  17. SheWolf

SheWolf Under Your Bed

Oddometer:
    Got my Wolfman bags coming next week, Pivotpegs will be on by the weekend and new skins should be here around the same time the bags get here. :clap Servicing is all done, now just to heal this broken finger.:eek1
  18. Fishnbiker

Oddometer:

Sounds good for timing. I expect to maybe stop in KAMLOOPS or KELOWNA the Wednesday before, then take my time getting to Nakusp Thursday. Were you planning to stay in the recommended hotels or ??? Have you done booking or should I?

Leaving Princeton offers 2 routes, Aspen Grove & Otter Lake. One paved sweepers, the other 1/2 gravel & paved tight twisties, both excellent rides. If you plan to pass though Logan Lake, there is a beautifull little paved route coming out near Savona that carries on gravel up the Deadman River, then splits to come out at various spots between Bonaparte Lake & 70 Mile that would point me towards Dog Creek / Gang Ranch for my return.

I still intend to get to Goldbridge for some fishing & more gravel exploration before returning on the Seton Highline or Hurley Pass routes. Any others interested in doing this?

Ken / Fishnbiker
  19. cariboo_JT

cariboo_JT less n00b

Oddometer:
  20. Fishnbiker

Oddometer: