B.c. Big Trailie Ride

Discussion in 'Canada' started by MANXMAN, Feb 13, 2006.

1. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    Thats really shitty Doc, sorry to hear that.

I don't know anything about FD's.

I called your number and left a message, I am still in Vancouver until 4:00 AM. Friday. 604-816-8140

Rick
  2. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    Well, it was good to meet all of you 'ey.:freaky

I wish I could have been able to go on, but that's life...:eek1

We're home now, the 'Pig' is in the shop and may or may not be ready for my July trip. I know it's going to expensive.:wink:

Anyway, post pictures of what I missed :cry and I hope you guys run this again next year...:clap I'll be there...:D

Doc
  3. BeeCeeGS

BeeCeeGS WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer:
    Must be something about Bridesville--I read about another rider having BMW drivetrain problems there last year. Glad you found your way home.
  4. canadasax

canadasax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw the bikes this morning in Kelowna, Wish I was going with them.
    (Why couldn't my parents have their 50th Wedding Anniversary some other weekend)
  5. ulendo

ulendo lunatic fringe

Oddometer:
    was a good morning. some were a little 'eh hem', road weary this morning, and running late, so only about 2/3 of the group made the westside road to vernon portion of the trip. hooked up again at chevron in Vernon, took a backroad from vernon 2/3 of the way to lumby, then up the east side of mable lake. good trip, road was in good shape, so oiled sections, some that was a bit rocky, but even the buell made it. fuelled up in revelstoke, then beat it south to catch the 2 pm Shelter bay ferry.

I peeled off after crossing on the ferry, as I had to be back in kelowna tonight to pick up my kids. as I left, the group was just plugging out to an old hotel for lunch, then were going to continue around trout lake to Kaslo. no casualties, boo boo's, or mechanical failures to report
  6. North

North Aimless Drifter

Oddometer:
    I left home 4:00 AM on Friday morning and got into Princeton just as every-one was milling about and going to breakfast.

I have to say it was my best every on my bike. It was the First time I really went off-road and not just dirt roads. It was great.:clap

I was just sorry that I had to leave Friday at 7:30 as we got to the motel in Kelowna and did not get the chance to hang out with the group.:cry

All told, I put 901 km on my bike.:thumb

The Trail we took at Apex was awesome.:ricky It was recommended by a local guy there at Apex. I still think he was trying to kill us by sending us on that Trail. :eek1

I will be there next year.:nod

I don't have a Smug Mug account so I posted my pictures on UKGSers site, here's the link:
    http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76695
  7. IslandR

IslandR Awkward Silence Producer

Oddometer:
    Had to haul ass to catch the last ferry, but the Douglas Lake Road was worth it, I love those roads through the grasslands.

It was good to meet everyone :clap and ride some awsome roads.:freaky

Looking forward to seeing all the pics hearing the tales of everyones version of what happened.

Good night
  8. kdt

kdt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent ride!! Many Thanks to all that made this a great time. Must do this one again next year.. Arrived home around 9:00 pm. The Douglas Ranch road was in great shape and the ranch was amazing in the setting Sun. We took it easy at first as we saw several deer. As the road opened up so did the throttle. Canuck and I enjoyed a brake at the Quilchena Hotel to chill a bit before the last leg. Met the guys we left at Falkland at the Chevron in Merrit so with good conditions the Douglas Road saves a good deal of time.

Many thanks to Manxman and dr650bc to organize and show us the way. This was an amazing trip. My hat is off to you guys:clap

Hard to say what the highlite was as there were so many. Needless to say I liked the dirt the best. The new rear knobby is history. Super Motto wheels and a pit crew next year..

As soon as In get setup with my photos I'll post some. Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks North for the first postings!
  9. TriplePete

TriplePete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Somehow I feel undeserving of such a wonderful 4 days of riding in our beautiful province. I am amazed at some of the wonderful places we can get to with the right machines. A big thanks to Manxman Ross and DR650BC Ray for organizing this spectacular adventure. All the pictures taken on this trip will never convey the awesome feeling and experience of being on and off the road with this crew of riders. A big Thank you to Seth for filming parts of this ride. Another big thanks to Bruno for the professional photography. Here are some of the highlights I have on pixels.

Hooking up with Goatboy and Goatgirl in Hope thursday:

[​IMG]

Friday morning before Tulameen and the KVR.
    [​IMG]

Arriving in Coalmont

[​IMG]

Scooter on the KVR

[​IMG]
  10. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Scooter, DR650BC, Slug87, Manxman atop the Nickleplate raod to Apex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crowsnest Hwy 3 and the Nickleplate.
    [​IMG]

The old mining site.
    [​IMG]

Apex Ski area Penticton.

[​IMG]

Slug87 going down the very narrow goat trail... aewsome!
    [​IMG]

Goatgirl, Goatboy, Goat trail down to Penticton.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bruno, glad to make it down in one piece from Apex goat trail!!

[​IMG]
  11. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    On the dusty trail Kelowna.

[​IMG]

Ulendo riding a Buell City X on the Mable Lake road to Revelstoke... awesome.

[​IMG]

Mable Lake road.... absolutely beautiful. Even the Strom looks good here.
    [​IMG]

Made good time to catch the Ferry to Trout Lake.. perfect timing.
    [​IMG]

Good food in a far away place. Windsor Hotel in Trout Lake.
    [​IMG]

Gettin some action from the locals in Trout Lake.
    [​IMG]

Bruno with the waiter, cook, and cashier. Great food!
    [​IMG]

Working gravity gas pumps in Troutlake. HP2s always stopping for gas.
    [​IMG]

Heading to Kaslo from Trout Lake.

[​IMG]
  12. Stily1

Stily1 Ex-pat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What an EPIC adventure! Huge thanks to Manxman and DR650BC! Manxman for coming up with the idea and "hosting" us all (even the social butterflies in the group) and DR650BC for helping to keep it all together. DR650BC and I gave in to the heat and hotelled it in Merrit on Sunday night and were so glad we did this morning as we tooled down the refreshingly *cool* Coquihalla in the morning sunshine, parting ways from Hwy 7 at the Chilliwack turnoff (Hwy 9, I think).

I only ended up with a few still shots but as you all on the ride know I got lots of helmet cam video and will be processing down a DVD eventually. I got more great footage on Sunday of the Idahoe Lookout (?) climb and descent, and the balls-out run up the hill from the last ferry.

I'm late for work at the moment, but will post up more shortly. Any thoughts on shifting this over to ride reports now? Just wondering.

Until next year! :freaky
  13. ulendo

ulendo lunatic fringe

Oddometer:
    Fury - I dont suppose I can get you forward a full sized copy of that pic of me on the mable lake road? I'm keeping a log of some of the more interesting places I take that thing - and have very few pics of me ON the bike. email's [email protected]

thanks
    chris aka ulendo
  14. Slug87

Slug87 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well this was my first ride with an Adventure Rider group. I consider myself a newbie, and I am glad to have finally made the jump. It was certainly a challenge for me, and amazingly, no dropped bike.

That said I will travel lighter next time.

A dualsport bike makes so much sense here in British Columbia. It provides access to so much more wonderful sites.

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming.

I only joined the group after the first morning loop on Friday in Princeton. So here we are with a start near hedley.

[​IMG]
    ManxMan climbing.

[​IMG]
    A panoramic view of the Nickel plate road.

[​IMG]
    Goat-Girl leads Goat-Boy down Apex mountain goat trail.

[​IMG]
    North is picking up speed down the Kettle Valley Railway trail above Kelowna.

[​IMG]
    Bird eye view of Kelowna.

[​IMG]
    That same view inspired Goat-Boy a balancing act.

[​IMG]
    KDT kept leading on the dirt during the Week-end. Here at Trout Lake he was riding around impatient to go on, while we were traying to reload our energy.

[​IMG]
    Fury negotiate a bridge over the Lardeau river.

[​IMG]
    On the road to Kaslo, StandUp is trying to catch up to IslandR, Goat-Girl and Goat-Boy, in a postcard like environment.

[​IMG]
    We eventually reached the shore of Kootenay lake.

[​IMG]
    In Kaslo, the Jesse bags once again proved their versatility.

[​IMG]
    We had an onboard camera movie night, thanks to Stily1.

[​IMG]
    Canuck ride cannot hide the trace of the dusty battle, even in the dark.

[​IMG]
    The gang on the road to Idaho peak. The snow would get the better of us.

[​IMG]
    The group went three times in the 6,000 ft altitude range.

[​IMG]
    StandUp salutes you half way up Idaho peak.

[​IMG]
    ManxMan leads the group down to Needles.

[​IMG]
    By the time we reached Falkland, the temperature went sky high. Enough to give your kikstand a bit of tar bath. Time to head home.

[​IMG]
    Special thanks to ManxMan and Dr650BC for the effort they put in organizing and guiding us along the way. You guys rock.

See you all around.

15. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    :cry :cry :cry

:(:

:tb :tb :tb :tb

:knary

:komet

:ken :lol2 :lol2 :thumb :thumb

There is always next year...
  16. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    Bruno heading to Kaslo

[​IMG]

At our Hotel in Kaslo

[​IMG]

Near the top of Idaho Peak above Sandon
    [​IMG]

Back down to Sandon
    [​IMG]

Sandon transportation Museum
    [​IMG]

Where BC Transit buses come to retire hoping one day they will get to the top of Idaho Peak
    [​IMG]
  17. PacWestGS

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Looks like I took all the bad luck home with me in a box...:lol3

Glad ya' all had a great time...:D Very nice pictures so far...Keep them coming, eh. :1drink (edited for Northern English, eh!)

It was really hard for me to not ride the 650-Dak back up the next day, but this trip is already going to cost me a small fortune...:eek1

SF(BROKE)Doc
  18. TriplePete

Oddometer:
    I have about 300 pictures of this whole trip on smugmug. Chances are a picture of you is there - check it out.
    https://fury.smugmug.com/gallery/1602412/1

It was a pleasure meeting all of you who made it. Wouldnn't have been the same without everyone there - such a wonderful weekend. SFDOC - next time, it was nice to meet you too.

A big thanks to DR650BC Ray and Manxman Ross.

:clap
  19. kdt

kdt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. kdt

kdt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me how to post my photos to ADV from my photobucket site??

Thanks,

Keith:ear