B.C. Collector Plate

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jackd, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Call them and ask.

I called with questions about a colour change on a restoration and the guy I spoke to was very informative and seemed genuinely interested in the bike, same guy approved one bike under limited production even though the letter from the manufacturer stated 1585 units produced which was apparently close enough. I would think if Nortons of that vintage came with peashooters it should not be a problem.
  2. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    when I plated my R100s they were pretty definite that it all had to be stock, agree you should call. It was a years ago but they wanted a few pictures showing most angels
    IMG_0044.JPG
  3. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful

4. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadly it's not mine anymore
  5. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are concerned if the parts were available within a couple years of bike age.. or era correct and legal to use.

If the bike is in good condition, and all the bits could be bought back then ( exception is safety equipment, you can upgrade tires, brakes and lighting ) they are agreeable .... just send in the pictures with the application, and they seem to be a knowledgeable bunch
    MCP likes this.
  6. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Near as I could tell the "bunch" was comprised of two people. They were both helpful, informative and a pleasure to deal with.
    MCP likes this.
  7. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, called today and based on what I described to him, it sounds like it should not be a problem.
  8. Robin R

Robin R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While this thread is up, I have a DR650, the registration document is dated 1998, but the VIN plate gives the date of manufacture as 05-97. Does anyone know if ICBC would go by the date it was registered, or the date of manufacture on the VIN plate.
  9. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I registered my 950 in the above picture (bought it in California) it was registered 2008/01 VIN was 2007/12 they used 2007/12 that was a few years ago and I don't know if that relates back to collectors plates
  10. Robin R

Robin R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks that helps, it does sound like I'm in with a chance that they will go by the build date.
    Soundrider likes this.
  11. Soundrider

Soundrider Adventurer

Oddometer:

They seem to be inconsistent with regard to what they require for the 25 yr age, date of manufacture versus date of registration. I've had both judgements from their office. In one case the difference was 8 months longer I had to wait. This was a while ago, perhaps guidelines have changed, and/or staff have changed.
  12. Robin R

Robin R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I had no trouble getting collector status on my SR500 a few years ago, but that was about 36 years old at the time, though if they had looked really closely they might have picked up a couple of really small dents in the tank.
    Soundrider likes this.
  13. Soundrider

Soundrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a great program. I've seen some pretty tatty machines with collector plates. Vintage plates give tatty old bikes an opportunity for very inexpensive premium costs. I try to keep my stuff in really nice shape according to their guidelines. An insurance company has been known to decline coverage because the policy holder did not follow the guidelines. I'd rather play it safe.
  14. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience is that they use the Vin Build Date..
  15. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Playing safe is equal to following the rules,

Collectible condition
    Vehicles with any damage anywhere — regardless of vehicle age — does not meet the collectible condition.

• Vehicle must be fully assembled with no missing parts and be in exceedingly good condition.

• Vehicle exterior must not have any dents, paint blemishes, bubbling, chips, rust, or visible primer. Body repairs to the vehicle must be completed according to professional practices and standards.

• Engine and engine compartment must be stock for the model year of the vehicle without any performance enhancements. Engine and engine compartment must be clean and detailed with no damaged, deteriorated or rusted parts.

• Vehicle interior must be in excellent original or restored condition with no tears, stains, or significant wear. Minor restoration to the original upholstery are acceptable. Upholstery conditions also apply to motorcycle seats.

• Vehicle exterior, interior and engine must be clean and detailed.
    When you submit the application with the photo/s they should reflect the condition of the vehicle or motorcycle. if its all true and accurate you are playing it safe. If the vehicle is involved in anything that would require a trip to ICBC, the photos suddenly re-appear ... best that all the documents that you submitted still match what the adjuster sees in from of him/her.

Its a great program, but one must play within the rules.

My2
  16. Robin R

Robin R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's good to hear, thanks.
  17. Soundrider

Soundrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been touching bases with 12 or so buddies with multi vehicle collector plates recently, because of a letter I got a week ago from their office. I regards to the premium cost being too low. I should note that, since that office went digital, from previous hand written premium renewals, the yearly premium costs have pleasantly gone down each year. But no explanation has ever been given. My premium is literally less than 1/2 what it was 6 years ago, even after my declared retail appraisal on my stuff has. Ren raised 30% overall. And this letter has indicated an increase is on its way in 2021. No indication of how much it’s going up or why it’s going up, as usual. All my buddies got the exact same form letter.
  18. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same here got the form letter a few weeks ago mine's up for renewal in February so I'll find out soon enough. When I renewed last year the insurance girl told me the price and I couldn't pay fast enough it was what I considered very low, when was the last time ICBC, pricing and low were in the same sentence.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  19. sdbruns

sdbruns Potemkin villager

Oddometer:
    The application says model year. And you can't have an aftermarket seat so I guess if I have a get off with the Sargent seat, my insurance is invalid? The arcane ridiculousness of ICBC is simply beyond belief.
  20. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My take is that its a bit more grey than that ... if the seat was manufactured in ( the year-ish ) that the bike was made then it is permittable. Sargent was selling seats ( mostly redo of your pan ) for your bike in the years it was built, I don't see where you would have an issue

I sent in some photo's for the last bike i did the collector plate for.... it has most every HD bling that was available ( including leather tassels ) ...... they turned me down because I had blue dot tail and signal lights, not because they were not period correct, but because in BC blue dot lights are illegal. I changed the lens ... and then I was approved.

its all good .. I think (?) that were folks get in trouble is when the submitted photos don't match the bike ( vehicle ) when a claim takes place

My@
    Fishnbiker likes this.