B.C. Collector Plate

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jackd, Jan 4, 2012.

1. sdbruns

sdbruns Potemkin villager

Oddometer:
    I would like to think you are correct although I have my doubts based upon previous dealings with ICBC. However, on page 4 of the application under Motorcycles - No you can't - install aftermarket seat(s)
    Here's the link. ICBC Collector Plate Application
  2. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:

this didn't have OEM seat ... but ICBC was kind enough to give me a collector plate. I think that they have some discretionary options
  3. sdbruns

Oddometer:
    I’ve put a couple of unrestored bikes through the collector plate process that you might say were *good from far but far from good* so I am not thinking that getting the plate would be the problem. My concern is with ICBC’s ramped up claim scrutiny using the seat as a reason for a claim denial should something unforeseen happen. I’m probably overthinking it but the application form is really specific about the item in question. I ride this bike long distances and the thought of being restricted to the stock seat does not appeal.
  4. navi

navi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your smart to be cautious, the photos that you sent for approval should be how the bike or car looks when/if a claim was done

I know a person who smashed up their car in the way to work ( strike 1 ) end they had changed the stock radio out after the photos were taken ( strike 2 ) ...

It’s a good program .. just don’t get sneaky
    sdbruns likes this.
  5. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Boy does that frost me. Why the hell can't they offer the same option with newer bikes? I can only ride one at a time and would gladly pay the insurance rate of the most expensive one so that I could switch plates around. Would probably spring for a full year too.
    Adanac rider, sdbruns, gpfan and 3 others like this.
  6. sdbruns

Oddometer:
    I know BCCOM was pressuring ICBC about this around 2013 or so and were pretty confident about a favourable result. I think a provincial election got in the way and then it all seemed to disappear into the ether. Haven't heard anything about it in the last 5-7 years. Someone from BCCOM used to post here about it back then.
  7. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ICBC never fail to surprise me !

My multi vehicle collector plate expired March 7th I had called my agent asking what the renewal cost would be as I have received multiple letters from ICBC advising their system made an error in calculating the fees last year. The agent could not provide a quote as the policy was still active they would have to get a new plate and quote a new policy or wait until the existing policy expires one of the notes on the multi policy is you have to take the coverage for a full year no partial years allowed. I decided to let it lapse so I called the agent first thing this morning and did the renewal over the phone last year I paid less than $500 this year it was $1,357 same four bikes with no changes to the coverage so if any one else has a multi vehicle policy be prepared for a significant increase over last year I'm not sure if this affects all collector policies or just the multi vehicle. This averages $340 per bike for a full year so still cheaper than a non collector policy and I can ride on nice days in the winter.
    Fishnbiker likes this.
  8. BuckoT

BuckoT n00b

Oddometer:
    Ouch! I received two ICBC letters related to this year's MV plate premiums. The first one was about how previous years 'storage policy' portion of my premium had been incorrectly calculated and would up updated at the next renewal (wasn't even aware I had a storage policy until I received the letter). The second letter was about the MV rate being calculated too low in previous yeas and would be increased at the next renewal.

I'm curious about what coverage you have - was your increase just for the base coverage?
  9. Tytan

Tytan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1 Mil third party liability for on road and storage, $300 deductible for own damage, my premium is based on a 885cc bike with a declared value of $8,000. Reading the policy the vehicle with the plate attached is insured for on road use and the other vehicles listed on the policy are considered to be in storage.

$231.00 On highway coverages.
    $160.00 Own damage hwy.
    $ 3.00 Storage.
    $ 0.00 Own damage storage.
    $ 35.00 License fee.
    $426.00 Total.

$ 628.00 On highway coverages.
    $ 160.00 Own damage hwy.
    $ 9.00 Storage.
    $ 534.00 Own damage storage.
    $ 35.00 License fee.
    $1,357.00 Total.

For some reason the own damage storage fee is excluded from the totals.

I would like to hear what others are seeing for increases for the multi policy and a single collector plate policy.