"Baby Burr" dual-sport ride Sep 10-11, near Athens OH - anyone else?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by yahodahan, Sep 4, 2016.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all- just found what looks like a GREAT dual-sport/enduro ride going on this weekend, anyone else considering attending? Especially looking for others like myself who are still learning dirt, don't mind going slow in the gnarly trail areas :)

Here's the link with info:
    http://www.enduroriders.com/2016babyburrflyer.html
  2. nunzo

nunzo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I am planning on at least riding Saturday maybe Sunday. Going down solo so maybe we could join forces for the carnage?
  3. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure, when you do plan on getting there? Have time to meet up this week and chat? I'm out near Athens.
  4. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a good one. You do need AMA membership, you can do that at signup. If you're new to dirt, might want to skip the optional hard sections. Lunch and Dinner provided on Saturday, lunch on Sunday. I may or may not do Saturday, zillions of things going on.
    yahodahan likes this.
  5. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave!
  6. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    Great ride! Always a lot of fun trails.
    If you've not been to a southeast Ohio dual sport, they are more like an enduro without time keeping. Not at all trying to scare you away, just know that some people don't expect what they get by the name "dual sport".

2014 BABY BURR VIDEO
    yahodahan likes this.
  7. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Yeah, leave your KLR's at home.
    yahodahan likes this.
  8. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know- I'm down for some light trails, for sure, and it looks like I can skip the real nasty stuff if need be :)
  9. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    The A sections/enduro loops can always be skipped. You can skip any section and leap frog ahead for that matter.

Just make sure you have decent knobbies and you should be good.
    yahodahan likes this.
  10. bmoto54

bmoto54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode this one a few years back with Nunzo and had a blast. We skipped the last several enduro loops when it started raining, his husky started overheating, and I was running out of gas (me not the bike). We rode over 90 miles on that Sunday and my seat is only rated for 75. Speaking of running out of gas, if you are on a two smoke don't forget to bring oil for the gas station stop about 50 miles in. Wish I could go. Have fun!
    yahodahan likes this.
  11. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Torqued my back today. I'm out.

Grrrrrr
    yahodahan likes this.
  12. MMMOTORCYCLE

MMMOTORCYCLE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride, well organized and they did a great job of feeding 300+ if I remember correctly.

Camping area is a little hilly, so get there early to get a good spot.

Bmoto54, we must have been at the same ride a few years back where the skies opened up on Sunday.

Listen to BrokenHalo....this is more of an Enduro than a dual sport we were used to.

Ever ride a creek? I don't mean a creek crossing, I mean ride it like its a road for what felt like miles. How about UP a waterfall?

It was fun as hell, but I was beat for days afterwards.
    yahodahan likes this.
  13. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info all. Looks like I'll be meeting nunzo out there, give it a go.

As for decent knobbies, that I do NOT have, just 50/50 tires, will have to skip the muddy bits. Sounds like that's an option?
  14. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whatever you need to do, get knobbies.
  15. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    That's an option - no a good one but, it's an option. The issue is that you won't know the "muddy bits" until you're already committed to a trail. The only non-knobby tire I've ran at these events is a trials tire in the right conditions.

The enduro loops are easy to skip because they're arrowed differently. The main sections can be skipped but, you have to navigate on your own to pick up the next section (not always easy if you don't know the local roads).

Do what you will. But, more than one person has recommended knobbies. If you go with 50/50 tires at least take your helmet cam.
    dave0 likes this.
  16. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Best advise yet!
  17. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @BrokenHalo Thanks, yep. I was under the impression that the non-enduro loops were mild gravel roads/etc. I think I'll put it off till I get those knobbies ;)

Also, I live just a few miles from the giant trail system right here in Wayne, so, there's always time :D
  18. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha yep ;)
  19. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo Squid Racer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't trying to talk you out of going. I was trying to talk you into going with knobbies.
  20. yahodahan

yahodahan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got that, yep! My knobbies are back in WI though. Got two full sets that I forgot to bring when moved to Ohio recently. Will be back up there in a few weeks though :)