Bachelor Party to Alaska... Well. Just the tip.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by nickgindy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I went ahead and got engaged after 5 years of prolonging the inevitable. She's been through the tough times with me (dad dying and 10 days later I got in a shoot out at work where my zone partner was killed... She decided to do a ride along that night)(More on that event when the actual ride report gets started.) and many other screwed up events I've encountered in my career. I'd always had Alaska on my riding list and the more I do this job (law enforcement) the more realize each day is a gift and to not assume I can do these things after retirement. Life can be too short so "adventure while I can" has been my moto. So I figured in celebration to the end of freedom (I'm full of sarcasm report will be too) I should have the most epic bachelor party of them all. A motorcycle trip to Alaska and back from Indianapolis, In. I figured the cost of this trip would be what I'd pay at a strip club for the night so I might as well see things I won't regret than see the things that can not be unseen. Less chance of my underwear getting ripped and me getting whipped with my own belt too. Well anyway......

Travel dates:
    June 16 2018 to July 14ish 2018

Stops and Goals:
    We have thought about this extensively. Canadaish, Prudhoe Bay, umm yeah were just going to wing it.

Equipment:
    I plan on riding my 12 F650gs and Adam riding his Dr 650.

Feel free to join us along the way forumly (I can make whatever words I want up.) or litterly.

Do to the wedding coming up my funds are about $700 short than my projected budget so there will be a lot of camping and hoping the tent space thread works out for us. BUT some have asked how to and if you want to buy us beers and steak dinners to wish me off to priso... marriage, it will not go to waste.
    https://www.gofundme.com/bachelortoalaska

Follow Us!
    https://share.garmin.com/nickg
  2. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your plans.. I just started planning my own Alaska trip for July next year, me and my Dad.. I'm only on day 4, lol...
  3. rickj

rickj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats on your engagement and thanks for your service in law enforcement.

This sounds like the BEST bachelor party ever, and I definitely subscribe to your motto of "adventure while I can". Me and three buddies are heading up to Alaska next summer about the same time, and also plan on winging it to a large extent. Our paths may cross.
  4. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    I hope so.
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    The DR650 will probably be fine (and perfect once you're up there), though he'll probably want the stock gearing or or smaller on the rear sprocket.

OK, bachelor parties always have some crazy element to them, right? Have you ever heard of the Sourtoe Cocktail? It's in Dawson.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_ob...a_legendary_drink_containing_a_human_toe.html
    Hi-De-Ho and nickgindy like this.
  6. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    I'm very clear on that and not gonna happen!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    14ES likes this.
  7. High Country Herb

Oddometer:

LOL! I don't blame you. I wouldn't touch it with someone else's lips!
    14ES likes this.
  8. 14ES

14ES Super Turbo Hopper

Oddometer:
    Walter Sobchak:
    You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me.

The Dude:
    Yeah, but Walter...

Walter Sobchak:
    Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon... with nail polish.

All joking aside...GOOD FOR YOU DUDE!!!! The deferred happiness plan doesn't usually work out. You gotta take what you can, when you can. Sounds like it is going to be a really great experience.

If possible, try to snake though Glacier National Park while you are there. Truly gorgeous and humbling terrain.

Also, not sure if you'd thought about it, but you might want to invite your future bride to meet up at the end/middle of the trip to include her in the celebration...I'm sure she will be missing you big time after a whole month.
  9. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    STFU Donnie. Haha Big Lebrowski quotes always accepted. Glacier National Park is a definite. The girlfriend won't fly so that won't be happening. She's used to a yearly week to 2 week motorcycle trip. She knows it's the only thing that keeps me sane.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  10. HotChilliColdBeer

HotChilliColdBeer Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer:
    Epic bachelor party. Congrats.

You find yourself needing a pit stop in Seattle, give a shout.

But, if it were me, I'd get into southwest Alberta & British Columbia as fast as I could. Magnificent riding there.

Charlie
    nickgindy likes this.
  11. wantmontana

wantmontana Part time adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are you riding from brother? Fellow LEO in Lagrande OR. PM if you come this way and need a place. Me and a fellow LEO will be behind you July 20-Aug 12.
    nickgindy likes this.
  12. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Retired sergeant here. The absolute best bike trip I ever took was exactly forty years ago with my steady partner. Cross country and some how we ended up in Vegas too.

What a rip. The good news is with an understanding wife you can keep having those great rides with the guys. Sure you still have vacations with the family. But if you save those holidays you work and hang on to all the comp time you still have an epic trip each year.

You should find the shift commander is happy if you put in for the time off during the best riding season, late spring and early fall when nobody else wants off.

It worked for me and I got in a enormous amount of long distance touring while both working and married. I'm retired sixteen years now with two bikes and a trike in the garage. My riding dance card is filled out for the next two years right now.

My best riding buddies all live in the same retirement neighborhood. Two other cops, one deputy and a State Dept protective security officer. Shit we ride with more guns than the Oakland Angels.

Work safe, trust no one and retire healthy.
  13. wantmontana

wantmontana Part time adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Retired Trooper since 2000. Moved to Idaho, in rural northeast Oregon now. Dabble as a reserve deputy here and still enjoy. Going up in late July with a retired Captain who I was a flight medic/Trooper with. Can’t wait.
  14. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Wantmontana, hey brother. The deputy I mentioned was career Navy. Retired Master Chief, Medical Corps. He then was bored and joined the Sheriff's Dept. I love riding with a Doc, cause you never know.

Funny nobody calls him Doc. That was Navy days. I pulled the pin in the ghetto at 52. One of the other guys was a Trooper, Sgt. That went to the ah, agency. The State Department guy was a semi-spook. We have an interesting crew.

The war stories are unbelievable unless you know these guys. Then it's just downright scary.
  15. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Congrats and condolences (apply as appropriate :D)

I agree with the 'wing it' approach, but read some ride reports or otherwise study the possibilities so that if weather/fires/road damage blocks a desired objective, you can better decide on alternatives. A month will be enough for a great trip with time to check out some cool locations and to start planning a return trip before you finish the one your on. :lol3

If you haven't yet, check out the following for sound advice on the Haul Road and Alaska in general:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/haul-road-primer-part-1.943656/
    and
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/alaska-primer.788417/

And if you do a ride report, post the link here (in case I miss it directly). :deal
    nickgindy likes this.
  16. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    We will be leaving from Indianapolis, In. Looks like we are going to head straight north through Michigan and take Canada across eh.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  17. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Oh I've still done lots of recon on roads and what not. I bought the Milepost which will be a great addition.

18. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Btw everyone, this will also be my ride report. Im not creative and in depth as others but I'll do my best to keep everyone entertained.

Adam is packed and ready. I am mentally prepared. The bike is waiting for a new oil drain plug, clutch adjustment. Then a good final over and test ride. I plan on mounting a 1 gallon rotopax gas can to one of the panniers and a water to the other.

Due to the wedding coming up and rebuilding my deck fund are a little more less than I had planned for so we will see more campgrounds, not eat as fancy, and I will have to bum beers. I came up abouy $800 short of what I wanted but I"m pretty good at stretching a dollar. Since we are having the wedding at the house I wanted to give Sarah a Big Deck. I know a lot of you are envious of my big deck. I caught the neighbors wife checking it out the other day.

Maybe I'll start a go fund me to see if people will feel sorry for me. People have them for their dying gold fish and gerbils.

[​IMG]

Tallbastid, BackRoadNomad and slane6 like this.
  19. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Preview of my 49,900 mile beast. [​IMG]

BackRoadNomad likes this.
  20. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Good choice. The deck is an investment that will last a long time. Having to rough it on the bachelor party will add to the adventure, and in my opinion make it better. In my circle of friends, we always go camping/fishing for bachelor parties. We've done everything from forgetting drunk people on distant shores, to getting lost in the forest during rainstorms. All make great stories.

Oh, and the groom to be shouldn't have to buy any beers. :beer