Bachelor Party to Alaska... Well. Just the tip.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by nickgindy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    June 17 Day 2
    We did about 400 miles today and end up at Klint Stafford Memorial RV Park in Iron River, Michigan. It is a nice little RV park. Decent size spots.

I decided I am going to keep a daily excellence sheet of milage and spending. Today we traveled through upper Michigan. Beautiful up there. We luckily dodged most of the storms until we got our tents set up and went to dinner. Then all hell broke loose with the weather. We found a restaurant called Alice's supper Place. Looked like a random ol restaurant on the outside to get inside and discover everyone in their Sunday' best and the menu to be fancy. We got looks in our Khakis and T shirts. Food was great. You guys and gals don't give a shit you just want pictures so here you go.

The weather ranged from 75 to 61 to 94 today. Was a weird day. One of the pictures shows Adam talking to an older gentleman who wishes he didn't sell his BMW RT and also wished he wasn't too old to ride it. I'm dreading that day.. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  2. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Day 2 pictures of the campground.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. slane6

slane6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was taking a break in a scenic overlook while riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, just taking in the view, when I heard a loud and long crunch from behind me in the parking lot. Turned around to see an Audi completely nose and front wheels up on the curb. Guy and his family got out to inspect the damage - the entire front bumper was torn off... His daughter volunteered that Dad had been distracted while looking at my V-Strom while pulling in and bemoaning how he wished he had never sold his! :) My bike and his regret probably cost him a $1,000 that day...
  4. pointerDixie214

pointerDixie214 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed. Thank you for your service, and I hope you have a blast.

Your deck is spectacular.
    nickgindy and rubline like this.
  5. Shunpiker Dan

Shunpiker Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nik and Adam....Good luck and have an awesome trip.
    nickgindy likes this.
  6. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 18 Day 3
    Miles: 198 Nick Towed 11

We started out by eating at Mr T's restaurant in town. It was unfortunately not Mr. T themed. We stayed on 2 west until we were diverted on 13 past a very flooded and red looking Lake Superior. 13 was an awesome side highway in the middle of no where. My e light came on so we decided to head for a gas station. About a little over a mile from the gas stop I see my voltage gauge drop to 11 then to 10 then to 9 then to 10.5 then 10 9 and nothing on my cluster. I ride this way for what felt like 100 miles and stalled as I was turning left in to the gas station. Luckily I had enough coasting speed to get me in to a parking spot.

Time to think.
    So I call a campground about 11 miles away and ask if I can have a part shipped. They were cool with it so I called electrosport and had a regulator rectifier overnighted to there. Next was a call to AMA. Of course I left that card at home... but was able to call and arrange everything without it in my physical possession. I am now waiting on a tow truck and Adam went to the campground to get all that set up. I tried the Tent Space thread but go figure I'm in the middle of a Triangle of no ADV people.

Technically tomorrow was scheduled as a day off of riding. This forced us too I guess. I am not complaining though. The break down, part order, and AMA made everything smooth. The locals here are awesome too except for the very first one we encountered. He wanted to make it a point to tell me he hates BMWs because BMW gave money to Hitler...

As a bonus the campground has a pool and a hot tub.

Towing picture and campground pictures to come.... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AC909 and CavReconSGT like this.
  7. justanotherguy

justanotherguy I should be the one

Oddometer:
    I just now found this thread and my first post is going to be the best. Picture of Nick hiding behind his bike wishing he rode something simple like a dr650. Now if you will excuse me I’m gonna get in the hot tub and wait for this broken bike to show up.

[​IMG]
    fastpast, AC909, nickgindy and 3 others like this.
  8. justanotherguy

justanotherguy I should be the one

Oddometer:
    In all of her BMW glory. Gets a personal trailer no flat bed truck some regular person.

[​IMG]
    nickgindy and CavReconSGT like this.
  9. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Adam gets all the bitches. [​IMG]

rubline likes this.
  10. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    The campground has a shitty bar with bud and bud light on tap. Well what else we going to do? So were both intoxicated and burning an over priced bundle of rags. $7 for a few logs. I am going to resource shit. Might burn an old picnic table in the woods. [​IMG]

rubline, AC909 and jdubb75 like this.
  11. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is sounding like a trip I should be on. #deadhorseorbust
    nickgindy likes this.
  12. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    You have time to catch up. Waiting on parts near Duluth.
    rubline and jdubb75 like this.
  13. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 19 Day 4
    Mileage 0
    Still waiting on parts. Last update was in Minneapolis 2 hours away at 8am. So not sure what that means. Looks like we are here another night. Glad we bought some Mountainhouse dehydrated meals in bulk before we left. That is what we ate for last night's dinner, breakfast this morning, and I had one for lunch.

I went to the hot tub, did laundry, showered, and pulled off the regulator. Hoping it is not the stator and/or too. Also ho pop ingredients once we jump my bike it charges my battery back up as I do not have a lithium ion charger for it.

Adam is on nap number 2 and I have been cutting a tree in to logs. Temperature has been 60 to 70s. All in all a nice day. Just boring.

Might Uber to a BBQ place later that is down the road. I have only noticed a few Ubers running at a time in Duluth so hopefully they will be running all night. [​IMG][​IMG]

CavReconSGT and rubline like this.
  14. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    UPS failed us today. They did not show. Luckily the campground owner gave a ride to a BBQ place in town call Eddie's Fampus BBQ in Superior Wi. Food and theme were excellant. It was nice to not have to eat another dehydrate meal. Hopefully UPS comes in the am and we are on the road.
    Weather will be in the low 50s tonight so it has been a great night for a fire and will be good sleeping weather. [​IMG]

rubline and CavReconSGT like this.
  15. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. Miles: 0

rubline likes this.
  16. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Hope things get fixed up quickly Nick. All part of the game I guess.
  17. AC909

AC909 Great Job!

Oddometer:
    One must wonder if any of the locals would have a KLR you could borrow???
    :*sip*
    fastpast, Btown Jason and EBR458 like this.
  18. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Watch the Language please.
  19. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    UPS says out for delivery by the end of the day. This is the last stop of the evening if it is on the regular truck. I am going to source an ohm volt meter today to rule out the stator while I wait.
    rubline, mbabc and CavReconSGT like this.
  20. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 20 Day 5:
    0 miles
    Still waiting. Overnight is not what it is supposed to be I guess.

Update
    2000hrs
    R/R came at 715pmish. Battery is smoked and of course nothing open since it came so late. Walmart is 20 minutes away in Duluth so waiting for Batteries Plus to open at 9am tomorrow. Adam did run in to town to try to find some sausages or something to cook but looks like a few more meals of dehradted foods. If battery doesn't fix it tomorrow and it is the stator, I vote Adam goes on and I'll either wait for one or see if a shop can rewind mine. Then I will return home at a loss of victory. 3+ days off of riding is too much.
    rubline likes this.