Bachelor Party to Alaska... Well. Just the tip.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by nickgindy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    June 21 Day 6:
    Mileage 100 Nick towed 3
    Well we made it about 100 miles today. To 3 miles east of Grand Rapid, Mn where I use my AMA again. Probably stator this time. Watched my voltage slowly drop during that 100 miles. During that 100 miles and watching my voltage slowly drop, I saw a guy in the middle of no where dragging a cross. It had a little wheel on the bottom on it so I figures he is making some distance with it. I've just recently become somewhat religious so I took that in as a sign not to give up. Man that was strange.

Anyway,

Staying in Grand Rapids Mn. We decided to go get food and just get drunk. I'm not much of a drinker but why not. Nothing else to do. We are also working on our northern accents don't ya know.

On the way to eat we saw a dog on a motorcycle. That's the most of our excitement.

I pray that stator comes tomorrow and there is no bullshit with ups like last time. I forgot to get another tow truck picture. So sorry that wanted to see that misery again.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    mbabc, rubline and CavReconSGT like this.
  2. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Stator should be here by 1030aM tomorrow. Positive vibes needed.

rubline, CavReconSGT and mbabc like this.
  3. gluaisrothar

gluaisrothar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Positive vibes coming your way ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Positive vibes from Tejas. Could be worse brother, it was 98 with a 108 heat index here today. Really hope you can get some miles tomorrow
    nickgindy likes this.
  5. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    I've been to Iraq. I know that miserable feeling. 120 in the shade at 1030am lets you know its about to be a shitty day.

rubline likes this.
  6. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Pictures of the sweet ass room.

Freshly renovated

In 1978...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CavReconSGT and rubline like this.
  7. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Its got a little bedroom. That is mine of course.

rubline likes this.
  8. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 22 Day 7
    MILAGE: 371. It was nice to get some miles in for once.

The UPS man came about 10am as we were taking the old one put to be ready once he arrived. It was a fairly easy fix and by 1230 we were on the road. North Dakota is flat. We hit some rain which cooled it down otherwise it was 86 to 90. The BMW is running like a champ again and creating the voltage it is supposed to be creating. Are goal for the day was to visit Tommy the Turtle and cross in to Canada tomorrow. The beds last night were shit so neither of us slept well. Tomorrow's goal is looking like Lloydminister roughly 600 miles. We will be stuck with some 600 mile days for a few days to get caught up. I see why everyone says to take 2 months for a trip like this.

Pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Diddly, mbabc, rustycager and 6 others like this.
  9. mlbraptor

mlbraptor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you guys are back up and running. Retired LEO here. You guys have fun and stay safe..
    nickgindy likes this.
  10. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 23 Day 8
    608 miles.
    We left Bottineau around 830am and made it to Lloydminister. It was straight roads and flat views. The tables did turn though when Adam broke down. He broke a throttle needle. Luckily he packed an extra and we were back on the road in about an hour.

Gripe of the day. I don't really understand the fuel pumps. If i prepay 25 but pump 15 am i losing 10 for will that be balanced out? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Diddly, CavReconSGT and rubline like this.
  11. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 24 Day 9
    Milage: 524.3

We left Lloydminister in the fog and headed nw some more to Dawson Creek BC. It was windy and rainy for the last 100 miles. We ate at a place in town called Brown's Socialhouse. Highly recommended. Great food and beer. Tomorrow and Tuesday is looking like lots of rain but the goal is Liard Hot Springs. It will be a later start though cause we have to exchange some money due to crossing on a Saturday and banks being closed.

Adam has the bike issue today. Slight hickup with a battery cable being a bit loose.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

jnyrav, CavReconSGT, mbabc and 4 others like this.
  12. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 25 Day 10
    Milage: 279
    Today marks 4 years ago I came home from work and found my very healthy dad deceased from a weird stroke. That was a hard thing for me and this ride is my way to dosconnect from that. Also the upcoming day (July 5) will also explain why I try to disconnect this time of year.

We started heading towards Liard Hot Springs. It started raining last night and relentlessly did not stop in to the morning. We took down wet tents and packed them away as such adding even more weight to the rear of my already rear heavy bike. The gas tank under the rider helps when its not loaded down but makes the front end too light when it is overly loaded down. Once packed and loaded up we went to the BMO in Dawson to get our Canadain loonies. While backing into a parkong spot I went tk grab my front brake and it pulled to the handlebar. My extended front brake line for my bar riser came loose. So we got to tighten that after our Loonie retrieval. We hit the road and it didn't stop raining. The temperate stayed between 49 and 55 degrees which just added to the suckiness of it. My heated seat fuse went out and my heated gear controller went out. Luckily my KLIM jacket kept me dry, my worn out KLIM pants were 90% effective, and my heated grips remained faithful. We ended up stopping in Fort Nelson at the Super 8 (one of the more classier ones I have been too). At first the hotel clerk said they were full but after seeing our wet puppy dog faces, she printed something off and had a room for us. It only had one bed though. Luckily that only makes Adam gay since I am getting married. Kidding, it has a couch with a pull out bed too luckily so we don't have to get in a fight over who would be the big spoon.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

CavReconSGT, rubline and mbabc like this.
  13. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    The decision:
    Due to time constraints and sick of pounding 450 to 600 miles a day, we have decided to deviate from our original plans. To make it to Prudhoe Bay, you really need better luck ( fresh out of that and it is not on my other pants) and about 2 to 3 more weeks. I am getting to the point of where I wasn't enjoying the ride anymore and really have not taken the time to breath the air and see the sights. It has been too stressful trying to manage several miles in a day.
    So our new schedule consists of approximately 350 miles a day, and more site seeing. Liard Hot springs will be our most western spot. We will ride the 195ish miles there tomorrow, stay over night, and start heading back east Wednesday. On our way back to Indianapolis, we are going to visit Banff, Canadian Glacier National Park, stop in Hamilton Montana, Mount Rushmore, Colorado Springs, and go to a day or 2 of the BMW MOA Rally in Iowa.

Pray for good weather tomorrow for the hot springs. It is still currently raining here. Poor bikes. Wish I could bring them inside. [​IMG]

slane6, CavReconSGT, rubline and 4 others like this.
  14. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    I changed the name of this thread to be more accurate.

15. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This right here. Good for you man, call the audible and enjoy the trip! I hope your luck gets better and shit quits wearing out on you.
  16. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Thanks it was anxiety provoking to have to think we weren't going to reach Alaska and we are so close but still 3 days out. I think it mostly poked at my ego. But I figured I make enough dumb decisions so I figured pushing that much does not balance the risk for the reward.

Plus I can use it as leverage to make Sarah feel bad I didn't make it to Alaska and in a few years ship the bikes west and then do my Alaska loop. I better start brainstorming some big house project to get me the ticket to here.... My ticket to here this year was told to me in January of 2017. Sarah ~ "You are not going to Alaska unless I have a ring on my finger." Come June 2017 while on vacation in Gulf Shores and looking for crabs on the beach. It knocked her in to an oodaloop because I kept crying wolf all week that week to mess with her. In fact, before she could even answer, Ellie (6 at that time) immediately replied with "Is this a real engagement?"
  17. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha that's awesome. My wife's son (8 at the time) said he was happy we got married because he got tired of explaining to his friends that I was his mom's boyfriend, he said having a step-dad is easier to explain at school.
  18. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    That is funny. Ellie think I am her dad because I have been around since she was 1. She said her first sentence to me "More chocolate please." and took her first steps with me. Her oldest, Savanah, refers to me as her stepdad already. That is how she always understood it.
    rubline likes this.
  19. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Good choice—glad to see ya didn’t give up. Willingness to deviate from original plans has saved many a trip for me...probably saved my life a few times, come to think of it. Right now my ride plans are changing as I’m sitting in a McDonald’s waiting out a serious rain storm, I’m just cutting a big chunk of the day’s itinerary out and I’ll enjoy however many more miles I get to ride today. Getting married to a woman is one thing, but there’s no sense in getting married to a schedule.

Hope y’all have a happy trip, great weather, and no more mechanical gremlins!:ricky
    nickgindy likes this.
  20. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    That sounds pretty awesome, actually. I like the idea of planting the seed for your next trip to AK, too. :evil

It looks like you will be passing through Denver, home of Stranahan's Whiskey. They have a couple special editions, but I still like the original best. There is something unusual about it for a whiskey, but it's a twist that grows on you.

Just west of Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs is interesting. There are a bunch of drinking fountains that are fed by various natural springs. Each comes from a slightly different geologic formation, and therefore tastes different. Garden of the Gods is right there, too.
    mbabc and rubline like this.