Bachelor Party to Alaska... Well. Just the tip.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by nickgindy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. NW Coaster

NW Coaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    North Okanagan, BC (formerly North Coast)
    Seems kind of a shame to turn around at Liard Hot Springs when only three hours further you could return via the Cassiar Hwy 37. From Watson lake it's close to the same mileage back to Prince George as the Alcan Hwy. Weather forecast looks like sunny and cool around 60 F at Dease Lake for the next two days. If you're up to it you could even visit Hyder, AK on the way. Once you're in PG you can head east and do the ice fields parkway down to Banff.
    nickgindy likes this.
  2. k12lts

k12lts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hate to see you turn back but understand the reasons. I second the above suggestion on the cassier back south thru jasper and Banff. My buddy and I left indiana Saturday and did Banff thru Jasper today on our way to Alaska via the Cassier.
    nickgindy likes this.
  3. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    June 26 Day 11
    Milage 291
    The day started off with a terrible hotel breakfast and me doing laundry. It dried up a bit for the start of the ride but as tradition goes it started raining. Luckily it was no where near what we experienced the day before. It was a simple steady drizzle which made it manageable to ride in.
    We started to get in to the mountains and witnessed some great views. We started seeing some bison before arriving at Liard Hot springs. The resort and regular campground was booked (as I figured it would be) so we were offered a discounted spot to setup our still soaking wet tents from 2 days ago in the gravel lot across the street. It rained during setup and turned to drizzle once we were able to sit in our soaked tents. My tent can usually be setup wet and will air dry the inside but thats onky when I can stake it down and stake the fly out which pulls the sides with it. We sat in our tents for a good hour before saying fuck it and putting our suits on to head to the hot springs. It was a cold walk in the rain but once in the springs it was warm and there were easily 30+ people in it.
    After the springs we came back changed and cooked some dehydrated meals while the drizzle let up. While eating, some Bison started coming out of the wood line and walking across the gravel lot. If you have never seen one up close, they are massive.

All in all not pounding miles was relaxing as you can see from the number of photos we took.

*Excuse the misorganized photos. Tapatalk and crappy wifi are not getting along.*[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Diddly, rustycager, BlueFargo and 2 others like this.
  4. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    More[​IMG][​IMG]

5. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 27 Day 12
    Milage: 290

I first awoke to the sun being out but with it being fairly early I thought "Thank god. I can sleep another hour and then get up and stuff will be more dry. Well about an hour later I woke up and it was sprinkling. Lol. Luckily it was only for a few minutes. So I shook the water off my tent and packed it away damp instead of the soaking wet I packed it away last night.
    So the turn around at Liard didn't happen. I was advised to do a loop down Cassier Hwy by some guys on another thread and boy am I glad I did. We stopped at Watson Lake anx attempted to look at most the signs in the sign forest. That place was so unreal and the nastalga of history was just something else. I didn't have a sign but I did have a sticker I wanted to put up to represent all my fallen Police Officers in Indiana. Specifically and most recently Deputy Jacob Picket who was killed this year chasing after a moron with a warrant and my zone partner Perry W Renn. I will share that story on July 5's ride report.

The ride down Cassair was amazing. We ended up stopping in Dease Lake. Better than Deez nuts I guess. I called and reserved a room at the Motor Inn while eating lunch in Watson Lake. It was time for a bed for a night. Once at the hotel I laid my tent out to get it dry. Finally I have dry stuff again!

Tomorrow we are on to **********.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Diddly, rustycager, BlueFargo and 6 others like this.
  6. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Few more.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

rubline, CavReconSGT and AC909 like this.
  7. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    A photo Adam took of me today. [​IMG]

rubline, mr_10brook, mbabc and 3 others like this.
  8. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    1 more[​IMG]

rubline and CavReconSGT like this.
  9. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 28 Day 13
    Milage 426

Apparently we needed sleep today because we both rolled out of our bed around 8am. The beds were pretty comfortable though.
    The rest of the Cassier Highway was phenomenal. The last stretch in to Hyder, Alaska was perfect pavement and twisties. There was no border patrol gping in to Alaska but we had to go through on our return trip back in to Canada. While in Hyder we ate at the famous Bustop. Im not a huge fish eater but holy shit was it good! After lunch we rode up the Glacier Mountain Hill. I am not sure of the real name of the road. We then decided to ride for a few hours and ended up stopping in a small town called Kitwanga where we stayed at their free campground with free firewood, trash cans, and pit toilettes. All they request is donations. Such a cool idea and place. Too bad us Americans are too greedy to have things like this. Tomorrow we will start heading to Glacier National Park Canadian side. It will take us a few days to get there though. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Changed the title of this thread again to better suite the ride.

gluaisrothar and Zencyl like this.
  11. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Camping arrangement for last night. [​IMG]

CavReconSGT, slane6 and rubline like this.
  12. fastpast

fastpast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your ride report now. Sort of depressing with all the roadblocks you hit to start. Glad you got to take the Cassiar hwy. Just remember to enjoy each day no matter what it brings.
    nickgindy likes this.
  13. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I don't write like some of these other guys on here but I am a cop. You can't expect much from me.

gluaisrothar and rubline like this.
  14. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 29 Day 14
    Milage 364ish

Today was fairly boring. Nothing really good to see. Stopped in Prince George (Aka Prince Albert) at the Walmart where I couldn't find shit, then the Canadian Tire where I also couldn't find shit, and then a place called Atmosphere that reminded me of an REI. Ive been looking for MSR isobutane for a minute. We then realigned our route and decided to ride about an hour more south to a town called Quesnel which I believe is French for a Whales Vagina and am staying at the Best Western donated by my brother and his girlfriend and about to enjoy a nice steak dinner with beer donated by Chris Clardy through my go fund me page. I took 1 picture today for affect. Tomorrow is hopefully Hot Canyon Springs to set us up for Glacier Nat Park Canada eh and Banff. No bike issues but Adam is starting to preparation of finding a rear tire when we hit Montana. I did have a 2nd problem with my Garmin 62s GPS refusing to start up causing me to hard reset losing all my settings. [​IMG]

15. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    All the light switches are labeled. Thank god. [​IMG]

16. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    <<<<< Hey it is my ADVrider anniversary date.
    gplane likes this.
  17. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    In the event anyone was worried. We WILL be starting off in the rain today. No change there.

refokus and rubline like this.
  18. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always just count that as my shower for the day :)
    nickgindy and rubline like this.
  19. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    June 30 Day 15
    Milage 395

Well we left in the rain. That is no suprise to you all I know. We took 97 to 1 I believe. It ended up warming up for a bit and the scenery and roads got awesome. It was the perfect 65 to 75 mph canyon twisties. About 100 miles from Canyon "Hot Springs," it turned into a shit show of pouring down rain. We got to the "hot springs" and it stayed relentless and still is at 9:30pm as I type this. We are both cold and hungry and set up dry tents in the rain.

Joke time.
    If a bear shit in the woods would it make a sound? Answer: No bears only shit in the streets.

Alanis Morissette asked me what the capital of Canada was? I told her "I'm not sure". Then she blurted out "You ottawa know."

Canyon Hot Springs Campground.....

Explaining we had 2 motorcycles, 2 tents toral, and 2 people total took a no exageration 5 minutes in conversation. The "hot springs" is litterly a hot tub and not included with the $45 camp fee. That is an additional $12.50 for the day pass. The shower is $3.50 for 6 minutes. Our campsite was flooded leading me to believe they don't know shit about their own campground. Most of the other open sites were fine. Can't wait to get out of this overpriced place. Wish I didn't do a reservation but I figured it to be a little less expensive, and there to be a legit hot springs again.

This is an adventure though I guess.

Glacier and Banff tomorrow.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

EBR458, AC909, rubline and 1 other person like this.
  20. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    So its raining this morning as we take down our tents.

rubline likes this.