Bachelor Party to Alaska... Well. Just the tip.

Discussion in 'Americas' started by nickgindy, Jul 10, 2017.

1. nickgindy

nickgindy KLR Basher Supporter

Oddometer:
    July 1 Day 16
    Milage 277
    The milage might be a bit more. I forgot to reset the tripometer before we left. I woke up pissed off about the expensive camp ground and the still nonstop rain. We hit the road in a downpour and rode for about an hour and a half to the city of Golden. By the time we hit Golden the rain was a drizzle so we got gas and found a restaurant for breakfast/lunch. Food got me in a better mood. I often refer to myself as a little fat guy. I don't like to miss a meal. We took 1 east and of course the downpours started again. It eventually turned to a drizzle and we started stopping and taking photos. Today was Canadian Day so there were tourists everywhere! The day went back and forth between drizzle and dryness. We went south on 93 through Katooney National Park. There is alot of train history on this road so I enjoyed one of the stops there. We then stopped in Radium Hot Springs for Gas and to go to The Home of a Thousand Faces. Wow. Just fucking wow! The energy of that guy's work just walking through his house was something else. I am glad I wasn't in an automobile. I would have no doubt bought some of his art. Plus everything is Gluten free.. From there we headed another hour and 15 minutes where we ended up in Fort Steele Campground. This by far has been my favorite campground on the trip. Everything was reasonably prices, decent showers, laundry, and nice sites. Its crowded like the other campgrounds but not really anyone too loud. The best part is that we setup our drenched tents without the help of rain. We then cooked some hot dogs and ate a bunch of candy. It is also an Esso Gas station so starting out in the morning will be nice and easy. I don't have pictures of the camping setup here yet but I will get those in the morning. We were rushing to do laundry and eat. I guess we both have ptsd of rain. Lol.

Going to the Sun Road and Hamilton Montana tomorrow. It will be a 430ish mile day but that's alright.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  2. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    July 2 Day 17
    Milage: 273
    Today I woke up about 0645hrs to try to get an early start. No shit at about 0650 a bunch of crackling of thunder and a down pour. 8amish and it stopped so I got up and made me some coffee and a dehydrated meals. It stayed dry until 1qam when we were loaded and geared up getting gas. (Campground is also an Esso Gas station) Then the downpour started which turned to hail. We didn't stop or slow down because why did it matter. Continuing on through BC and Alberta it was heavy rains and heavy rains with moments of no rain just to screw with us. The weather averaged 42 to 45 degrees to add fuel to the fire. We got to the border and I kid you bot, the sun came out. We still had some heavy winds but it was mostly sunny except for some elevations in the mountains where it is expected. Todays site seeing goal was Going to the Sun Mountain. It is an awesome park and an awesome road. We were suppose to end in Hamilton Montana but we both are pretty beat up from the end. Our faces feel like we passed out drunk in the sun from all the wind. We ended up getting a hotel since we are still 2 to 3 hours from Hamilton Montana. We decided to check out a local restaurant called Desota BBQ and brew. Was a cool but packed place. Great BBQ. Tomorrow is on to Hamilton MT where Adam will pickup a tire from a local dealer and we will hang with my buddy for a day or so. I will tell you the story of Joe on tomorrow's report. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

IndyTimSt, rustycager, AC909 and 6 others like this.
  3. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    We got to the hotel and couldn't grasp this bike cover. [​IMG]

rubline, CavReconSGT and fastpast like this.
  4. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Wet and ready to ride. [​IMG]

5. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    July 3 - 4 Day 18 and 19
    Mileage: 264 combined
    I know this may sound a little crazy but, we left in pouring diwn rain and worked out way to Hamilton Mt. It was a lot of valley twisty roads which were fun to ride in. The ride down was like mothrr nature was water boarding us. It would rain heavy enough to drench us and then clear up enough to where we get dry. Then it would drench us again. No worries. I didn't budge and give mother nature any classified information.

Once in Hamilton, Mt Adam went to Al's to pickup a rear motorcycle tire as he has burnt through his rear already. They didn't have any techs working so they sent us down to Hamilton Powersports so they can do his tire. Sure we could have done it but it is much easier to pay someone to do it and nice to have it balanced. Both motorcycle shops were phenomenal shops with great inventory. At Hamilton powesports I came across a set of Klim Gortex gloves. I knew if I bought them it would quit raining and warm up. Well since my purchase, it has been sunny.

On day 17 we then headed up to Joe's parents fortress in the mountains. It is being hand built and solar power. The whole property is a slice of peace and heaven. We set up tents on one of the hills and slept there. Had a great night of sleep. Might have been the beer... Food was plentiful. Won't post a picture of the cabin and didn't have gps tracker on for it.

Day 18 we rode back in to town to celebrate the 4th of July in Hamilton Montana. It was a nice relaxing holiday and night. This time of year is high anxiety for me with the fireworks and my history you will learn about for July 5th's ride report.

Pics are a mix of both days. We will start heading to Mount Rushmore tomorrow.

I will tell you about Joe later and him being born in a tipi later.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

rubline, AC909, rustycager and 4 others like this.
  6. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    I met Joe when I was in the Air Force. We both were Security Forces ("DEFENDERS!!!") Wright Patterson Air Force Base was his first base and I was voluntold to be his sponsor for when he arrived. I don't know whos idea it was to put me in charge of showing somebody around...
    Joe and I became friends pretty fast. Joe is one of those interesting guys but not until you really get to know him. No ego, doesn't get mad, and doesn't get sad. Always calm and collective. He is no doubt one of the guys you want with you if you are assigned with a handful of people to defend against a million Isis members.
    Joe's dad can build anything. In fact, while he was building the first home Joe would live in, he was living in a Tipi. Joe's mom is pretty old fashioned so birth is done at home and as a result, Joe was born in a tipi. Joe told a group of us this story while we were waiting for our predeployment meeting to Iraq. I had never heard of such a birthing place and I didn't stop laughing for a good 30 minutes. How I didn't get kicked out of the meeting when it started god only knows. "Tipi Joe" became fitting for him. Joe and his family are a group of people everyone needs in their lives.
    So glad I could stop here and spend a few days with Joe, his Wife Janay (whom was also Air Force Security Forces), and Joe's family who treat you like family too.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Diddly, powderzone, misterk and 7 others like this.
  7. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread - very cool stuff - thanks for sharing your adventure - and I hope you guys get to see a shadow at some point!
    nickgindy likes this.
  8. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Thank you and hope you keep following along.
  9. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Great ride report so far!

I think I've found a new avatar for you... :lol3

[​IMG]
  10. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still followings and enjoying the adventure. Your tired of getting pissed on now but it will make you laugh in a couple years when you remember the trip.
  11. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Thats hilarious. I will see if I can make that actually work. I know its size specific on here.

gluaisrothar likes this.
  12. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    July 5 Day 20
    Milage: 383.5

The day I need to ride and how motorcycling saved my life. July 5 is yet another sad day for me this time of year. On day 10 I mentioned today's date. June 25, 2014 I lost my dad. July 5, 2014 my work partner Perry W Renn and I confronted an idiot with an ak and unfortunately Perry lost his life in that gun battle. http://www.indy.gov/eGov/City/DPS/IMPD/About/Memoriam/Pages/Perry-Renn.aspx
    It was a very overwelming time. I had not used my death leave for my dad yet because I knee the holidays to be busy and didn't want to screw my coworkers over. This particular night I also allowed my girlfriend (soon to be wife) do a ride along with md as I originally planned on starting my death leave July 6 and taking a week to go camping. I was usually fully against letting Sarah ride with me because I knew I worked a very dangerous neighborhood and didn't want her exposed to that lifestyle. Unfortunately this night she witnessed everything. A front row view from my passenger seat. I am still not sure what kept idiot ( I don't use his name he doesn't deserve it to be used) from firing that rifle on me first, and then on Renn, and then on the next officer, and so on. He had ample opportunity. Life can be crazy. This was originally a shot fired run in the vicinity of an area. We were jusy driving through as everything is a shots fired run in the hood especially during July 4 and New Years.
    The next day I was motovated to still go camping. That June 6 night Adam came over and loaded my bike and stuff on to my trailer as I had no energy still from my massive adrenaline dump. I could barely walk, talk, and there was no sleeping either. All there was a constant replaying of the event in my head. June 7 I left for camping and was called by the prosecutor for my statement and told I needed to turn around. She told me idiot did not die although I was under the impression and content with the fact Renn and I killed him. (More so convinced Renn did as I had to pry Renn's fingers off his gun in fear he would inadvertantly fire rounds off as he faded off in to heaven. That man fought to his last breath. That is a fucking definition of a worrior!) I was pretty distraught so she called around and told me as long as I found a landline phone in the day she wanted to meet they would do a taped statement that way. I got to the campground and met with Dan, his wife, and Loosenut. They obviously knew of everything and made sure to take good care of me. We went to do riding and as my luck had it my dr35o wouldnt start. Dan brough multiple bikes and so to add fuel to my fire I had to ride his KLR. Desperate time for desperate measures I guess. Once riding I was able to start processing the chaos of my past 10 days. We found a police/fire station as I figured they would surely let me use the phone as I am sure they knew of Renn's death. Well a sign on the police station side out for lunch. I wasn't sure if it was just my luck or fucking hilarious so I sat on the steps for about 10 minutes until the fire chief showed up and I explained my situation. He did not have a problem letting me use the phone. After that call to give my statement we went and did some more riding. Id never felt so much relief of stress in my life even with it being on a low grade KLR. Had I not went riding I feel I would have been way over welmed and who knows.
    To add fuel to the fire of chaso on 2014, at the beginning of the year, Sarah was diagnosed with MS. In May of 2014 I came home from work and had a group of kids try to attack me and another officer who lived down the street in my driveway (me in full uniform and in my police car). They went to jail due to the death threats online they made towards us so I had their family members driving by giving obscene gestures, yelling stuff, and walking by slowly at all hours of the day. I had some stress going on but luckily I had motorcycles and great friends to ride with an find stable balance.

Moving forward :)
    Today we left Hamilton Montana and started to head to Yellowstone National park and then eventually Mount Rushmore. We got a bit of a late start due to going to check out Joe's winery. Right as we were heading through the town of Darby that is just soith of Hamilton we saw this couple we kept running in to all throughout Canada. So we u turned and went to go say hi. Was the funniest thing. They are such nice great people. They were having a hell of the time with the rain too but thats is Adam and I's fault so we felt bad for them. I don't think I have met a shithead thats a real adv rider or touring rider. That is one thing I love about this stuff. The road sputh of Darby turned in to nice hilly tight twisties. The kind where you grin from ear to ear. The rest of the ride to Yellowstone was the valley twisties. We stopped in Butte for lunch where we got some Butte gas, Butte food, and Adam read some Butte history. Adam really enjoyed Butte. I was ready to move on to another exploration though.. We got to Yellowstone and made the executive decision to try to call it a night. Unfortunately it is still a holiday week so we had to travel north toe Boseman where my brother's girlfriend got us a free room at rhe Best Western. They had a nice restuarant and so I had a beer and an expensive steak to honor what this day is.

With all my bad luck both funny and tragic I am truley blessed. First and formost Sarah has stuck with me during it all. From what she witnessed I wouldn't have blamed her to take off. That is a lot of worry and stress. Next would be great friends like Adam. He is dimb enough to go on these crazy idea of rides I get, he sees me in my worst with anxiety, crabbiness, and anger outrages and doesnt right me off as a little bitch. My Lt and my commander at work. Technically July 4 and 5 if a prohibited day off but since My commander had never seen such a request for vacation he couldn't consciously deny it. My Lt approved it before that and had been great to me making sure I don't work the neighborhood Perry died in. It is not due to fear on my part but due to the idiot's family is unreasonable and would do something drastic to either set me up for an ambush or get me to hurt one of them which would cause some conteversy worldwide I am sure... Not that the media would eat that shit up. The other main blessing is the support of my friends and family. Theres more things I am thankful and blessed for but those are the top of the list at the moment.

Long post today. Sorry. Here are the pics. I didn't take a whole lot. Too much time playing in Butte and riding.

Mount Rushmore tomorrow.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Diddly, AC909, CalamariKid and 8 others like this.
  13. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am still very new to wearing a uniform with a badge and body armor, I am very happy to hear you were able to cope and stay in the job. Glad to see the trip is still going strong and congrats on finding the wonderful lady!
  14. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    July 6 Day 21
    Milage: 260.3
    Today we decided to ride through the top half of Yellowstone and across Beartooth Pass. This needs to be on everyone's ride list! Our goal was to make it to Mount Rushmore but the 100 degree temps and Adam's bike weren't getting along so we are in Billings Mt. Tonight. We shall see what tomorrow brings.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Well just remember to never take any day for granted. Know there will be ungodly sights you will see and other times some of the funniest shit you could never make up. Watch some Colonel Grossman videos on warrior mindset. If god forbid your ever faced in a lethal force situation it is good to be familiar with things you will go through. Don't forget your roots and why your doing what you do.

Zencyl and rubline like this.
  16. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    How about some videos in no particular order?

slane6 and rubline like this.
  17. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    More

slane6 and rubline like this.
  18. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Me on a corner of Beartooth.

19. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    July 7 Day 22
    Milage 412
    Today was a distance day. It reached an upwards of 100 degrees for the last 100 miles or so. We finally made it to Mount Rushmore and stayed in the town of Keystone. Didn't take a lot of pics while riding cause we didn't want to stop. We happened to stop at a Dealership in Rapid City to see if they would have a sprocket and chain for the dr because Adams rear sprocket could be used to cut a redwood trees down. They unfortunately did not. Adam has a set in Colorado Springs but we are just nervous it may wear out before then. While at the dealership an employee told us to go to Mount Rushmore during the night ceremony. Glad we did. Was a patriotic and humbling experience.

Neither of us had bike issues today.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Diddly, CavReconSGT, EBR458 and 3 others like this.
  20. nickgindy

Oddometer:
    Also at the dealership we heard yet another familiar line. "The weather is not normally like this around here." I shit you not, we have heard that just about every single day at every location we have been at on this trip. It surely couldn't be us could it?

EBR458, mbabc, rustycager and 3 others like this.