Back from New Zealand (pictures)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by boyscout, Jan 28, 2002.

1. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Hey guys (and gals), I'm back from New Zealand. Hopefully I'll get around to doing a write up of the trip soon. For now I've got some pictures up on pbase.

Here are some highlights:

Started in Marlborough Sound. Absolutely beautiful if a bit overcast.

[​IMG]

It pissed down for the first half of my trip. We are talking record rainfall. I'm really glad I bought nice raingear for this trip. There were still some nice periods between downpours and the roads were amazing

[​IMG]

Some of my favorite areas were in the high mountain plains in the Southern Alps. The lakes were an unearthly blue. I spent the last third of my trip based out of a small town doing day trips. Met a guy on a VFR 850 and found the top speed of the 1150GS (at least at that altitude) keeping up with him in the straights. Also had a passenger for a few days who didn't mind 180+ kph sweepers or riding in the rain. What a blast. The image below is a link to a very large image. Be careful if you are on a slow connection. I think it is worth it though. Also, if you are using IE turn off "Enable Automatic Image Resizing".

[​IMG]

Everything would have been perfect except for one minor mishap on the last day.

[​IMG]

-Boyscout
  2. Randall

Randall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics boyscout. Must have been an absolutely great trip! :beer

Look forward to your writeup.

Randall
  3. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    Welcome back, BS!

Dayum - except for the mishap, I'm sOOOO jealous. :sick

Did you whack the car with the GS?:confused:

What's the story, bud? :dunno
  4. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Great trip

Great photos

That place is on my gotto go there someday list. That list is getting longer each time one of you yahoos makes a photo trip report!

Hope you and the car thing turned out ok
  5. Global Rider

Global Rider Alps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada & the Alps - N 46° 31.714' E 010° 27.212'
    How long were you down there?

Did you ship your own bike, did you rent or did you go on an organized tour with a tour company?
  6. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    The story of the car is that it was my last day of the trip. I was following a car on the way out of Greymouth (The largest city on the West coast which is still small). The speed limit was 50 kph and I was waiting to pass till we got out of the city proper. ALL roads in NZ are only one lane in each direction so passing is both common and expected. In fact, many cars will pull into the shoulder to let you pass when they see a motorcycle approaching from behind.

The car I was following slowed to below the speed limit and pulled left into the shoulder. I thought they were looking for a house or were turning left and were letting me pass. I accelerated and started to pass on the right when they made a U-turn. They swung right just as I pulled even with the car. The picture tells the rest of the story, I bounced off the car, ended up perched on the handlebars till the bike flopped to the side and I rolled over the bars.

Damage Report:

Bike has bent forks and possibly the wheel as well. Very little "software damage" except a bunch of bruises and bumps. I was wearing full gear. Sort of wonder what my shin would look like if I wasn't wearing my Daytonas. As best I can tell the cylinder head popped the door open which then caught me in the shin. I got some pretty serious bruising THROUGH the metal shin guard in the boots.

Nice end to the story is that the cop was totally cool. A witness confirmed that the car was at fault and the couple whose house the accident happened in front of invited me in for tea. I chain smoked for a few hours and everything came out OK in the end.

Even though the accident was legally the automobiles fault. I have to take some responsibility. I was on mile ~250 of a projected 500 mile day. It was at the end of my trip and I was tired riding a heavily loaded bike. Had I been fresh and on a lighter bike I think I would have been able to avoid the car.

-BS
  7. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Very cool chick I met in NZ. I was filling up with gas in this small town in the Southern Alps on my way to Queenstown when this guy named Nick pulled in on a VFR 850. We got dinner together and ended up staying in town that night with plans to head for Queenstown the next day. Ended up meeting Candace at the pub that night and took her for a ride on the bike the next morning. Candace's sister road with Nick. We hauled ass through the Southern Alps. 180 kph sweepers two up :hair Yeeh Haaa

So for the next four days the plans were to go for a ride in the morning and then head to Queenstown. I never made it to Queenstown. We saw Mount Cook, rode through the Alps, rented jet ski's and generally had a blast.

Yeah that was pretty funny. I was totally jet lagged by the time I got there but didn't really realize it. I got on the bike all gung ho and hit the first trail I saw. Got to the end of the trail and was turning around to head back when the bagster bag hit the horn, scared the shit out of me, I dropped the clutch, stalled the bike and dropped it. After getting the bike back up I headed out to the main road and turned the wrong direction. Rode 50 km in the wrong direction before realizing I did not belong on my feet much less two wheels. Found a Hostel and slept like the dead.

-BS
  8. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    It was a local. Two highschool aged girls.

-BS