Back Ordered Stator - Advice or Spare?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by sakurama, Jul 13, 2008.

1. CodyY

CodyY ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer:
    Gregor, I'm assuming he's upping the juice, how many watts?
  2. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting to let him see it. I asked in my letter with the stator if he could overwrap it so I'll know if he can by next Tuesday I guess. I don't think I'd say that it could be a silver lining since having your bike come apart and destroy its self is never a good thing but if I end up with a more powerful charging system I'll at least have solved a problem for the community - at great expense to myself at this point...

Gregor
  3. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    Do yourself a favor Gregor, and use the prescribed loctite 648 on the freewheel bolts. Some folks didn't and wound up replacing the stator again when the red loctite didn't hold.
    Just sayin' :freaky
  4. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    I was just about to post that to Gregor, when I scrolled down one post and theres CP covering the bases. :thumb That 648 is green in colour, and hellishly expensive.

I got a 3/4 full bottle for you, but I live a bit far away :cry
  5. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Good Advice CP. I was doing research on 648 when I came across this link in ADV in the top hit of Google and so I think I'm going to go with 603 instead. Man this site is a wealth of information and we have our very own Loctite rep with a kickass signature...

Gregor

6. Monty_Burns

Monty_Burns Excellent.

Oddometer:
    I've got some 648 I can send you in a eye dropper bottle if you need it. I bought a quart with the idea of repackaging it and selling. Never got around to it.
  7. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Alright, it's now official: we have someone who can rewind the 950 stator!

Gary rewound my stator in one afternoon and I had it back the next day. I was an idiot though and didn't pull the rotor bolts to see that they were completely hammered so I had to wait for more of those to be ordered (there's no ready source for 10.9 M6x16 low headed cap screws anywhere) but Munn got them to me overnight. The ones that showed up didn't look any stronger than the stuff I had on the shelf and in fact seemed weaker as the head distorted as I torqued them in. KTM has two part numbers for those and one is $5.62 a bolt and the other is $0.62 or something.

But I digress.

Here's what I got back from Gary at Custom Rewind:

[​IMG]

He did a really nice job and I installed it on last Friday and buttoned up the bike. I'd ordered a new stator from Sommer in Germany but it never showed up and this was my backup plan. I left for Colorado on Saturday and my GPS showed 13.6 - 14.1 volts the whole trip. It's making just a few tenths more than the original one. I'd asked Gary if he could wind it for more power but he said it was pretty tight but he'd go a half gauge heavier and be able to match the number of turns.

So it works. Three days and 1900 miles later I'm in Colorado and my bike is charging and running great. The best part is the cost: $95 It's hard to do anything to this bike for less than a hundred bucks much less fix something major so I couldn't be happier.

A huge thanks to Gary and a strong recommendation that anyone with a destroyed stator go see him and tell him I sent you. Here's his info:

Custom Rewind
    2014 Pratt Highway
    Birmingham, AL 35214

Phone: 205-798-7282
    Tool Free: 800-798-7282

He has email on his site but mine was kicked back to me. He doesn't seem like the emailing type so just give him a call. Super nice guy and totally bailed me out.

Gregor
  8. Gluaisrothaí

Gluaisrothaí Feckin' gobshite

Oddometer:
    Is not that hard to find. Overnight from McMaster Carr.

P/n 91458A79, 10ml bottle, $13.79

<nobr>Loctite® Adhesives and Accessories</nobr>
    This product matches all of your selections.

<table id="PageHeadLowerDivTable"><tbody><tr><td id="idsParamImageDivColumn"> [​IMG]
    </td> <td id="ItemTableDivColumn"> <table id="ItemTable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td id="PartNumberCell"><nobr>Part Number: </nobr>91458A79</td> <td id="PricingDataCell"> <nobr> $13.47 Each</nobr>
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" id="ItemAttributesCell"> <form action="" name="idsFeatureValueChange"> <table id="ItemAttributesTable" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr class="featValRow" onmouseover="this.className = 'featValRowHL';" onmouseout="this.className = 'featValRow';"> <td class="featureNameCell">Loctite® Product Number
    </td> <td class="featureValueCell">648
    </td> </tr> <tr class="featValRow" onmouseover="this.className = 'featValRowHL';" onmouseout="this.className = 'featValRow';"> <td class="featureNameCell">Loctite® Item Number
    </td> <td class="featureValueCell">21443
    </td> </tr> <tr class="featValRow" onmouseover="this.className = 'featValRowHL';" onmouseout="this.className = 'featValRow';"> <td class="featureNameCell">Package Size
    </td> <td class="featureValueCell">.34 oz. (10 ml) bottle
    </td> </tr> <tr class="featValRow" onmouseover="this.className = 'featValRowHL';" onmouseout="this.className = 'featValRow';"> <td class="featureNameCell">Color
    </td> <td class="featureValueCell">Green
    </td> </tr> <tr class="featValRow" onmouseover="this.className = 'featValRowHL';" onmouseout="this.className = 'featValRow';"> <td class="featureNameCell">Application Notes
    </td> <td class="featureValueCell">For nonthreaded metal cylindrical parts. They prevent corrosion and fluid leakage between surfaces, resist most chemicals, allow reuse of slightly worn parts, and are stronger than shrink-fit assemblies. High strength. Fills spaces up to 0.006” dia.</td></tr></tbody></table></form></td></tr></tbody></table>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
  9. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    Great post Sakurama.......:thumb
  10. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This info should be added to the Thread Index sticky...
  11. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    +1
  12. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    +++++ :thumb
  13. Sadlsor

Sadlsor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why, CP... who in the world could you be talking about here?! :wave

You gotta be freakin' kidding me! Right here in my backyard?! Geez - whodathunkit.

Then again, my stators were so shredded, especially the last one, that I don't know if Gary could have salvaged either of them. Unless he rewinds basically from scratch? I'll have to go pay him a visit.
  14. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    Actually, I've had 1/2 dozen emails from "others" who tried the red and failed.
    :freaky
  15. TMoore

TMoore Arai Helmet Test Dummy Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK! (Formerly from The Peoples Republic of Mass)
    Banging started today 100 miles away from home in central NH. It stopped
    and the bike seemed ok so I nursed it 50 miles south when I lost all power
    and only then realizing Id been on the battery the whole time. I immediately
    thought of this thread. :cry Got home and popped the cover and yep.
    Its a mess. I wonder how much crap has worked its way into the rest of
    the motor? Im in no huge hurry to fix it. No way I will make the Pine
    Barrens 300 this coming weekend. Advice welcome.

Tim
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  16. sakurama

Oddometer:
    That is no attitude to have!

If you read up above you'll see that Gary rewound my stator in ONE DAY! I overnighted it, he rewound it and overnighted it back. It's dead simple to remove so you should have it boxed up and ready to go Monday and I can almost promise you'll have it back by Wednesday or Thursday and it'll be cheaper than a new one.

The stator Gary rewound for me now has 5000 trouble free miles.

I'll plan on seeing you there this weekend!

Gregor
  17. sakurama

Oddometer:
    Oh, and call Chip and order those rotor bolts Monday for overnight as well and it will all come in by Thursday and you'll be riding this weekend.

Gregor
  18. TMoore

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the encouragement Gregor but Im just not up to jumping
    through hoops this week. I still have two snapped off rotor bolts to
    get out yet. Unfortunately I rode the bike further than I should have
    after the two bolts sheared off and Im a bit worried about crap in the
    motor. Have a good ride down there Ill be back next year. I will be
    using Gary for the rewind for sure. Thanks for starting this thread.
    The stupid thing is that after I read all this back in July I decided I would
    pull and check mine....this winter .:cry

19. Sadlsor

Sadlsor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't be too worried about copper sludge in the motor, once you've changed the oil and cleaned the filters. Sounds like you only rode 50 - 100 miles. I have a couple of thousand since replacing my stator, no internal motor issues.

Yours is an '04? I thought the '05 and '05.5 were the guilty models. Just be sure you apply the proper thread sealant to your replacement bolts. Good luck; keep us posted.

Oh, and those 2 snapped off bolts? You'll find that once the flywheel bolt is removed, you can slide off the rotor "bowl" and remove those remaining bolt bodies by hand. They will be visible and easily accessible if you remove the entire rotor.
  20. TMoore

Oddometer:
    My ignition rotor is fairly galled at the back where the bolt heads went
    round and round. Jeebus a new one is $547 :puke1 Anybody think I need
    to go there?

Thanks,
    Tim
    [​IMG]