Back Ordered Stator - Advice or Spare?

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by sakurama, Jul 13, 2008.

1. zugy

zugy My brother wheeling SXC

Oddometer:
    I pulled the stator and nothing looks bad. Drained the oil and I found a small amount of copper in the oil tank screen. The rotor looks fine and bolts are tight too...The thing is I heard a whinning sound the last time I rode it at about 6K rpm's. The shop told me it was the stator not the new battery, or V.R.. All the electrical connections on the stator and elsewhere are good. How does a stator go bad and looks good?

I have been running 20/50 motorex and the oil smells like there is a lot of blow by... maybe I should only run 10/50w. It's just hot in the desert.

Any feed back?

Attached Files:

2. zugy

zugy My brother wheeling SXC

Oddometer:
    New Stator installed and still de-charges in just a 10 mile ride. Fuck. Shop diagnosis was wrong. Maybe the battery is faulty. I see a thread on a similar charging issue, so I will do the testing with negative lead off and remove fuses as soon as I can get a decent voltmeter...
  3. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    If you mean the negative battery lead, don't do it. That can fry your regulator.

Edit: I posted that in a hurry to do something else, and said more than I know for sure about this particular bike. But, I did fry a regulator on a Honda by disconnecting the battery while the engine was running. It was an instant cook job, and I knew better- I just wasn't thinking.