Back to the Arctic Circle-Inuvik

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rollin', Aug 11, 2015.

1. Icarus7

Icarus7 n00b

Oddometer:
    That looks Fantastic !!! :clap

Love the looks of the front tire. I'm actually looking for tires for my Thunderbird Storm and the TKC80 may be one option for the front tire (it's a 19 in wheel in this bike).

Love the fact that you have a shaft. The belt is one big concern both if damaged or if changing a tire. Again, your rear wheel choice adds peace of mind for sure...
    Rollin' likes this.
  2. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you! The bike is almost ready, added a radiator and headlight guard, raised the front fender and replaced the tires and added tip over protection. Started to do some tire testing.

[​IMG]
    wilfred, svahadean and sandsman like this.
  3. caribooster

caribooster Not enough time...

Oddometer:
    Great report, 4 of us did the trip up to Inuvik in June of 2014 and your report brought back many wonderful memories. I find it amazing how many of your pictures look familiar.

We also are planning our next trip north when the road to Tuk gets completed, probably 2019 or 2020. When we did our trip we were on much different motorcycles than you, 2 KTMs and 2 KLRs however I will probably get a new bike for the next trip. Safe travels, we may see you on our next trip North to the Arctic.
    Rollin' likes this.
  4. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, I did my third trip up to Canada and AK last August. The two earlier trips were up the Dalton and this last one was up the Dempster but only to the Arctic Circle. Heavy rains washed out road sections and the ferry service was suspended for several days due to dangerous current with debris. Tourists and truckers were stacked up in Eagle Plaines waiting for it to resume. I will be headed back up when the road to Tuk is open, oh and by the way, I'm just south of you in Oak Creek.
    Rollin' likes this.
  5. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna use a product called RideOn in my tires as well. It will plug a hole up to 1/4 inch plus it will balance your tires. Just a little more peace of mind.
    Rollin' likes this.
  6. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    Great ride Rollin, I like your attitude and your adventures.
    Just a note of caution to Seabees to do his research on car tyres, please Google 'motorbike darkside'. They do introduce differences in handling and obviously the rider has to be aware of those differences to be safe.
    Rollin' likes this.
  7. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    Dude - not to be an Oracle of the Obvious, but riding the Dempster on a Victory is epic. Hats off.
    Rollin' likes this.
  8. svahadean

svahadean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rollin' likes this.
  9. Homelessdude

Homelessdude n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been to Inuvik in 1982. Did it with hiking boots and canoed on the Meckenzie river. Now its time to go back on a Wee. I'll read this ride report with great interest. Awesome Ride.
    Rollin' likes this.
  10. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Good luck on your ride to Tuk! Hoping for good weather, I saw some photos and videos of the flooding last year, looked bad!
    djroszina likes this.
  11. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you!! It did add to the challenge but I wanted to be the first to do the ride on a Victory.
    I did have a lot of people tell me that I wouldn't make it to Inuvik on the Vision and I was a little worried that they may be right.
  12. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    Looks like the road will be done this fall so I'm going to try the ride to Tuk in June of 2018.

http://www.myyellowknifenow.com/17689/inuvik-tuk-highway-expected-completed-fall-2017/

Interesting -

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-N...aces-threat-of-coastal-erosion/2361485434394/

djroszina likes this.
  13. Homelessdude

Homelessdude n00b

Oddometer:
    The photography is awesome. Great use of the bike in the photos. The road to Tuk will be interesting.
    Rollin' likes this.
  14. mykaos

mykaos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading this completely, great RR. The Vision actually looked pretty sweet configured for the dirt. Kind of got me thinking.........
    Rollin' likes this.
  15. WJL1984

WJL1984 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was an amazing ride, thank you for taking us. I work on the other side of Lake Erie and on a good day you can see Pelee Island.
    Rollin' likes this.
  16. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the great ride,thanks for sharing..
    Rollin' likes this.
  17. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. That's quite an adventure for such a big bike! Thanks for sharing.

I think you have to do it again now though that the road to Tuk is open, and finish in Middle Island, a small Canadian island south of Pelee Island!
    What's another 9000km?:imaposer
    Rollin' likes this.
  18. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    I was planning to ride to Tuk in June but health issues at home are going to prevent that.
    When I was planning the trip to Inuvik in 2015 I thought I should wait until the road was done and ride to Tuk.
    I'm glad I didn't wait, I may never be able to go back.
  19. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    This is way too funny, since gout is the disease that can be exacerbated violently by eating.............................................................................lobster
  20. Newstrom48

Newstrom48 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How to ride to Middle Island? Maybe the next road for Government to build now that Tuk is complete? LOL
    MikefromNL likes this.