Back to the Arctic - Tuktoyaktuk

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rollin', Jul 20, 2019.

1. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome job sir. Enjoyable read, thx for sharing.
    Rollin' likes this.
  2. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now I have to do it all over again. Highway 10 to Inuvik and the Dempster to Dawson City and then decide what's next.
    The ride back to Inuvik is dry and other than a few deep, loose gravel moments to keep it exciting all goes well.

[​IMG]

Spend the night in Inuvik and start early again. I want to ride the full length of the Dempster to Dawson City. Two reasons, they may not have a room at Eagle Plains and the forecast shows more rain the next day and I don't want to ride in that again.

The ride back is dry and what took me 12 hours on the way up in the rain takes 7 hours on the way back and that was with stopping to take pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is fun!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Another stop in Eagle Plains for food and fuel and then it only 250+ miles to Dawson City.
    Conditions are still good, no rain, hardpacked almost pavement like surface but then a 125 miles south of Eagle Plains I see a grader ahead in the middle of the road and I know it will be something to deal with but seeing the grader is the last thing I remember until I'm standing next to the bike.
    I've crashed before and I still remember it in second by second detail almost like it was in slow motion but this was different.
    I don't remember hitting a berm in the road, hitting the ground, standing up, taking my helmet off or the two riders that had lifted the DL.

I'm standing there and ask what happened?
    They said I hit the berm, went back and forth across the berm and then the bike went down and I hit the ground head/face first.
    Wow!
    I ask if they lifted the bike and they said "yes and you were standing right here, you should see a doctor".
    The dash is bent into the fork and I can't move the bars, they say I will need a tow. It's still 125 miles to get to Dawson City and 3200 miles to get home.
    We are able to bend the dash back enough for me to ride the DL back to Dawson City. Two other riders had stopped and they follow me for awhile to make sure I'm okay. As I start riding everything starts to hurt, left hand, wrist, elbow and neck, back and a headache but it sure could have been worse.
    I pull over and tell the other riders they can leave, I feel okay and I'm going to do a slow ride and everyone still has a long way to go.
    The bike will still need more work in Dawson City to make the ride to Whitehorse, the next big city in the north.
    There will be no ride to Alaska, the goal now is to make it home.

Some of the construction crew also came over to help. I was lucky that help was close.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks helmet, this could have hurt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My left elbow seven days later. All of my gear had done it's job.

[​IMG]

I make to Whitehorse and stop at a dealer for an oil change. the tech also took a prybar and bent the dash forward. Now I have full steering range.
    The headlight is still twisted to the left and up so no night riding and the windshield is cracked, scratched from top to bottom and twisted to the left but is still providing wind protection. I put the left turn signal on using a different body mount hole.
    The DL is ready to go.
    Peter640, Oznay, rubline and 23 others like this.
  3. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh that sucks. I was wondering when this was going to come up in your report when you said you’d buy another one of those windscreens. I had a head first get off once, first thing I remember is sitting on the side of the road with my helmet off and my friend telling me to wiggle my toes. It’s freaky.
    Rollin', Ginger Beard and bobw like this.
  4. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    It is!
    I wish I knew what happened. I didn't see the berm? Distracted by the grader? Got too comfortable, fell asleep?
    Whatever happened, happened quickly after I saw the grader.
  5. MX2ADV

MX2ADV MX2ADV

Oddometer:
    It must be a great feeling to realize your goal. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
    Rollin' likes this.
  6. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!
    gpfan likes this.
  7. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks @AwDang !
    gpfan likes this.
  8. Rollin'

Oddometer:
  9. Peter640

Peter640 Peter 640

Oddometer:
    Nice work ... hope all ok after your fall...
    Rollin' likes this.
  10. Gordon

Gordon MC Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report sorry you went down. Hope all is well with you your wife and the bike. The Dempster Highway is one unpredictable road. Thanks for sharing.
    CCitis, bobw and Rollin' like this.
  11. btrrtlwtr

btrrtlwtr Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope your ok bikes just need money to fix too bad we are not that simple. The dempster can be a Buggar. Those berms can be. Trecherous binder dundat last year. Not a very nice Canadian welcome
    Rollin' likes this.
  12. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the trip and the story behind the story. Good balance on life it sounds like too, well done.
    Rollin' likes this.
  13. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    It was a great feeling but its always a little sad too because after all the waiting, planning and preparing, it's over.
    taylor, lanztek, gpfan and 1 other person like this.
  14. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gordon!
    Feeling good and the clean up and repairs on the DL are going well. Its my new distraction.
    Sal Pairadice, gpfan and Gordon like this.
  15. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    On the return trip I had better weather in Watson Lake. I had stopped at the Sign Post Forest before but never took the time to walk through it.
    It is worth the walk.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rubline, Steve G., thirsty 1 and 11 others like this.
  16. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Had better weather at Muncho Lake but still that haze.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Another stop in Pink Mountain to keep my promise to share the story and to let him know that a polar bear did not eat me.
    I walk up to the front desk and ask if they have a room. The woman says "you can have room 120 and its $120. I reply "how much is room 115?" Takes her a minute, I am so easily amused. :D
    (I did ask John at Grandma's Kitchen if they had polar bears in Tuk, he said last year in July one was walking through town and it was 11' tall)

[​IMG]
  18. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    On the return ride. One of the fires near Dawson City.

[​IMG]
    Oznay, rubline, phreakingeek and 8 others like this.
  19. sstracke

sstracke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride. Sorry you dumped your bike. That'll make the memory of the trip a bit more vivid.

Thanks for the detailed account of the adventure.
    Rollin' likes this.
  20. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    Thanks. Needed this today!
    Rollin' likes this.