Back to the Arctic - Tuktoyaktuk

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rollin', Jul 20, 2019.

1. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too fast for conditions. What's too fast for conditions?
    Reminds me of a question I asked an engineer at a manufacturer we were using for equipment. I was a mechanic at a gas and electric utility and we had bucket trucks, diggers (for setting poles) and cranes. My question was "what's the definition of stability?"
    His reply "stability is the point just before it tips over, its stable until it isn't". And that's why they do a lot of testing and set limits, if you exceed those limits it can tip over.
    So … is too fast for conditions the point just before the crash?
    Conditions can change quickly and that's the problem. Its the long stretches of good road with a quick change that can get you. Example - Alaska Highway, nice paved road with beautiful scenery and then a sudden dip, pothole or frost heave. It can bottom out the suspension and throw you off the seat, if you are going fast enough it can through you off the bike. This dip might be your first warning, it might be your last. It happens.
    Roads can change from paved to deep gravel without notice and when it happens coming over a hill it can be very exciting :eekers. Happened to me on the Dalton Highway.
    Road conditions can change, weather can change and your equipment changes. You started with new tires and had no issues in the rain but now they are worn, conditions have changed. Fatigue? Reaction time?

Do you ride for the current conditions or what the conditions might be? If you are riding solo I really recommend riding for what the conditions might be, easy to say but hard to do. Its a long ride from the start of the Alaska Highway to Deadhorse and/or Tuktoyaktuk and back.
    Was I riding to fast for conditions when I crashed on the Dempster Highway? I don't know but if I didn't fall asleep then yes. Too fast for the conditions at the time.

You have to keep watching for potholes, dips, frost heaves and loose gravel. There can be pockets of loose gravel when they fill a pothole, your wheel will sink in it and it pull try to pull the bars out of your hands, happens quickly.
    Sometimes 10 mph is too fast for conditions.
    Slow will get you home. Easy to say, hard to do.
  2. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You know for sure you were riding "too fast for conditions" in that instant between loss of control and impact with the surface. The trick is predicting that instant . . .
    Rollin' and WhicheverAnyWayCan like this.
  3. motrhead

motrhead Travellin' Soul

Oddometer:
    Great report.
    I still have to get back up there to finish the last 92 miles to Tuk and splash in the Arctic Ocean. Still trying to decide between an older Guzzi or a DL650 for the trip. Nice to see your Wee worked out perfectly.
    The Dempster was the best ride of my life...so far.
    borscht zanetti and Rollin' like this.
  4. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!
    I hope you get a chance to go back, I think you will like Tuk.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great report! I loved it.
    Rollin' likes this.
  6. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you!!
  7. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    E7068D5F-5F24-4A2F-AC74-5678E710451A.jpeg ACAB79E6-433D-4512-9A2E-503E495A4344.jpeg

Loved your report, just read it today. We rode the Dempster mid July, these photo’s were shot on July 11 and we didn’t have a drop rain. Also not in Jasper or Banff on the way up...
    A pitty that you crashed,
    And of course greetings from the Netherlands!
    Hans
    The attached photo was shot in Nepal, last November, It has no business here, but I can’t find how to remove it, sorry

Attached Files:

8. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    I love your photo at the top of the hill. That is at point that makes you stop.
    During my ride there in 2015 I rode through the area with the buildings on the left near the lake, it was raining and foggy and later it felt like a dream.
    After some research I found it was the Midway Lake Festival grounds.

The crash added to the challenge.
    The difference between adventurous and stupid is wither or not you survived. I survived so it was a hell of an adventure! :-)
  9. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    I like the shirts, pins and patches from locations because they can start a conversation.

When I was in Tuktoyaktuk I loaded up on merchandise, shirts, pins, hat, decals and a few things for my wife but I was disappointed that none of them had "Arctic Ocean" on them and that really was the point of the ride. About a month and a half ago I went to a local embroider and drew up a simple design and picked out the shirts. They didn't take any money and I never heard back from them so I didn't think it was going to happen but it made my day when they sent me an email that said the shirts were done.

I like it!

[​IMG]
    Oznay, Cajunhawg, hansen and 6 others like this.
  10. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any chance of these said shirts be available for purchase? Could they be ordered from the company that you used?
    I'm planning this ride (most likely 2022 now) and would be great to have a couple shirts to go along with it.
    Rollin' likes this.
  11. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    I can ask the company that made them if they would sell more. You could take the photo to a place that does embroidery and have them made, companies that sell work uniforms should be able to do it.
    I'm also going to try to contact someone in Tuk and suggest that they add Arctic Ocean to their merchandise.

[​IMG]
  12. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats
    Rollin' likes this.
  13. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ I want to earn one the hard way! :D
    Rollin' likes this.
  14. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Probably not a good year to go to Tuk, even if restrictions are lifted. We don't need to take the virus up there. They've stayed pretty clean. I recently read 1684 people in all of the Northwest Territories were tested for Covid 19, and only 5 cases were found, and 5 recovered.
    https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/en/services/coronavirus-disease-covid-19

PS: twowings, this wasn't meant as a response to your post. We just happened to post at nearly the same time.
    Rollin' likes this.
  15. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    And there is a history.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuktoyaktuk
    "Between 1890 and 1910, a sizeable number of Tuktoyaktuk's native families were wiped out in flu epidemics brought in by American whalers".
    poppawheelie likes this.
  16. sanjuanmiguel

sanjuanmiguel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    i enjoyed reading your story stories like yours are why I am a ad wannabe to the TUK
    I was planning on a blitzkrieg assault from where I live on September 17
    but this virus problem has mitigating circumstances and repercussions for all
    maybe next year
    30 iron butts is also a great accomplishment
    thanks for your effort on the story
    maybe you will read one of mine sometime
    cheers Michael
    Rollin' likes this.
  17. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info. That Wiki post has a nice concise history of Tuk. I keep learning more and want to get up there more and more. I've made it as far as the Arctic Circle on the Dempster. Weather turned the Dempster into a Dumpster, so I turned back. Been to Dawson City, Top of the World and Chicken a couple of times, but I want to take a long leisurely trip to Inuvik and Tuk, stopping at all the points of interest along the way.
    Rollin' likes this.
  18. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Looking forward to the stories.
  19. Rollin'

Oddometer:
    Also a lot of info here - http://www.tuktoyaktuk.ca/index.php The Facebook link has a lot of virus updates.