Back way to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by txhardcore, Jan 7, 2003.

1. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Anyone up for this trip? I've done about 40 miles of the west end of the route and 40 miles of the east end with no problems. The east end is rough but very manageable. Gas, water, and The Sierra Carmens will be the challenges.

Attached Files:

2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. I've been really wanting to go a) to Big Bend, and b) south across the border. But I don't speak a single word of Spanish and would never consider going without someone that knows their way around, and the language.

Have you put this on the calendar yet?
  3. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    When are you thinking of going and how many days are you planning on?
  4. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'm open as far as dates go. I'm planning another trip in May to Guatemala so I'd prefer to go in the next three months. The duration of our trip depends on how long one would want to stay in Big Bend. I know the Big Bend area reasonably well and could keep us entertained for a few days. I believe the route to Big Bend through Mexico would take two days which means we'd have to camp. Even if we could possibly make it out in a day we'd still want to pack sleeping bags and tents.

The daytime temperature is usually a comfortable 65-70 degrees during the winter but it can, and does, get cold. (I know...not by Colorado standards :)

Gas is scarce but, in my experience, can be bought from the locals in a pinch. (Locals will also be scarce.) We'll have to carry extra gas. Water would definitely be scarce. We could tote enough for a few days but we would have to bring a water filter and iodine tablets along with a shovel in the event we got stuck out in the boonies. There are creeks that could provide water. I have a water filter. We'd need about 5 days provisions in case of some type of catastrophic breakdown or injury.

I have a GS Adventure and a KLR 650. I can ride either but the KLR would probably more dirt worthy.

I don't have any USGS type maps and I can only estimate the distance through Mexico as about 200 miles. Anyone know where to get USGS type maps of Mexico?

I found the above map at http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/coauhila-state-mexico/coahuila-state-mexico-map-main.shtml

5. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Not sure how to take that. :scratch

Is there any way you can provide pics of similar terrain? Are we talking trials-like stuff? Which bike will you be taking and do you know the range? The GS Adventure gets 300 miles on backroads. Is it further?

I've got a water filter and love camping. And I'd like to think I've taken my GS places where few people dare. But then again, I haven't ridden with too many other GSers. I've also got a DRZ400, but it don't go too far on a tank. :cry

If you wouldn't mind, maybe click on my link and check out my pics and you'll see what kind of terrain I've been on. Ignore the group of pics about my crash (on a straight, flat dirt road no less). That was a total fluke.

The range and a sample pic will help me decide.

Also, if it's REALLY tough, I have to wait until after I do the IBA 100CC in March. Can't afford to be "without bike" for that.

More info please. :1drink
  6. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I laid out a quick and dirty course on my GPS software from your map, eyeballing the route. Looks to be about 260 miles. That definitely rules out my DRZ400.

So now I just gotta figure out if I can do it on the GS.
  7. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    The 40 or so miles I did on the east end was mostly dirt track. Nothing that would take any skill at all. I'm assuming things get a bit more technical when we reach the mountains. The last 60 or so miles is a wide graded gravel road....Something we could do at night if we had to.

I failed to notice where you are from. If you've done off roading in Colorado you'd have no problem.
  8. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    260 miles sounds about right. The GSs might be the way to go. The route I have marked goes over the Sierra Carmens. If things looked too nasty we could easily back away and go south to a tamer road used to supply most of the villages in that area.
  9. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    These are the photos I took at the east end of the route.

Attached Files:

10. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    More pics

Attached Files:

11. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    These are the mountains the road first crosses.

Also, I speak enough Spanish to get by in Mexico. I've done about 10,000 in Mexico on motorcycles including Copper Canyon, the mountains of Sinaloa, and the mountains of Oaxaca..

Attached Files:

12. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm really jazzed about it! Let's go! I've been seriously wanting to get down that way.

I don't know how fast we can get organized to make this trip happen, but I've got a 3-day weekend coming up next weekend, the 18-20th. I was already sorta thinking about Big Bend next weekend anyway. And if we went soon, and I broke the bike, I could still get it fixed in time for March.

After that, my weeks and weekends are pretty busy up until my Ironbutt ride. I could go after that, after March 16th.
  13. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Ant Ware? How's your schedule for a ride?
  14. AntWare

Oddometer:
    That weekends fine with me, but I don't see it being done in three days. The ride through Mexico alone may run into a two dayer. It's a 4 dayer for me and I'm in Dallas. You in Colorado?
  15. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Oops, sorry. I wasn't very clear. It's already a 3 day weekend for me (MLK Day), so it's easier on the vacation stash to extend into a 4-5 day weekend.

It's 800 miles to Presidio or 850 to Del Rio, so 12 hours each way.
  16. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to source some Garmin GPS basemap software for Mexico...

:evil
  17. AntWare

Oddometer:
    850 miles from your place to Del Rio, that's about right for the first day.

Any thoughts on that weekend from your end GSAdven, you started this crap:):
  18. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Next weekend works for me! :): I could either take Friday off or the Tuesday after MLK.

In a 4 day weekend, I'd ride halfway down after work, stay with friends in Amarillo, and ride the rest early the next morning. Allow 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 days for the ride then a full day back. If it takes longer, well, that's what sick leave for guys who never get sick is for....
    [cough, cough] :1drink

I would probably lean towards taking the days after MLK off, like the 21st and 22nd, because my GS is sitting in the shop for the 6K service. If we're really considering next weekend, I gotta get on the horn tomorrow and push to get the bike in the queue.

Doh! I just reread your message. You're propting input from GSAdven...

I'll shut up now... :):
  19. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Have you guys traveled in Mexico before? We'll need our titles for our motorcycles. In addition, if there's a lien on the bike you'll need a letter from your lienholder stating it's okay to take the bike into Mexico. Most lienholders require proof of Mexican insurance. For yourself you'll need a birth certificate, or passport, and of course a driver's license.

Next week is quick for me but not impossible..
  20. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    hmmm... When I rode into Canada, I had a note from my insurance company that it was ok, but nothing from the lienholder. That may take some time.

What are some other good weekends for y'all?