Back way to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by txhardcore, Jan 7, 2003.

1. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Not on 2 wheels, I've crossed the border before at Del Rio (Saddle Sore last year on my R1) and they waved us straight through, didn't check anything. I'll check on the insurance tomorrow, I know some fellas locally that go quite a bit and they know where to get the insurance. Everything else should be OK.
  2. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I can give you a link for Mexican insurance including collision and comp. Most Mexican companies don't offer collision and comp. They'll fax you a proof of insurance. Then you can fax the proof to your lienholder who will then mail or fax the letter to you. Hey, if we're coming all the way from Colorado perhaps we should take a few more days and slide down to Copper Canyon. Only 300 or so miles south of Presidio. :evil
  3. AntWare

Oddometer:
    I don't think your regular carrier will cover you in Mexico regardless. I think you have to get Mexican insurance.

Any weekends good for me as long as I get a little notice
  4. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you didn't go past the 12 mile checkpoint. There is no checkpoint on our route but if someone determines we should have papers and we don't... They take our bikes and throw us in jail. We probably should have the stickers on our bikes :)
  5. AntWare

Oddometer:
    I'm easy. Dont want to burn too much vacation though.
  6. AntWare

Oddometer:
    That comes back to the law of the jungle, you don't have to outrun the lion, just outrun the people you're with.

No really, that's a fair point, the price of insurance is probably cheaper than the bribes we'd have to pay. :):
  7. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
  8. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
  9. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Oh, if your bike is paid for and your title is clear you may not want to get insurance. I normally don't with my KLR 650. Ant Ware did you say what kind of bike you ride?
  10. AntWare

Oddometer:
    I'll be taking the GS Adventure.I would get from Dallas to Del Rio faster on the R1 but the next leg might be a pisser.

Thanks for the insurance links, I'll give them a try tomorrow
  11. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I'll make all of my phone calls tomorrow (service, insurance, lienholder) and see if I can make this happen by next week.

Chat with you mates tomorrow! :1drink
  12. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Cool three GSs
  13. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    GSAdven,

One more question. Since you've done part of the route, what's your take on the tire choice. I just put a fresh set of Tourances on, after wearing out the TKCs. That ok, ya think? I haven't been off-road on them since I made the switch.
  14. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Hummm.....I'm going to have to change my tires before I go. The TKCs have lasted 8700 miles. I've never ridden the tourances.. I'm going to have to make the same decision.. Let me know what you decide....perhaps I'll go with tourances also.. I believe tourances would be fine on the part I rode...but, who knows what's yet to be seen..
  15. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Bloody hell, If I'd have gotten 8700 out of mine, I'd have bought some more. Mine were shagged at 3000 and completely bald at 3800.

I've gone the tourance route as well. As long as it stays dry and we don't run into any snot I think they will be OK. Lets face it, there's more than limits the GS off road than just tyres
  16. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    And a Suzuki DR200. My wife wants to make this trip as well. I hope that's ok. The only time she would have a problem keeping up is on paved roads over 60 mph. Please let me know if that would be a problem. She could also ride 2-up with me but would prefer not to.

We'll have problems keeping up with her if the road gets rough. :rofl And range won't be a problem on her bike. She can get 175 out of a tank and carry an extra 2 gal. for the rest.
  17. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    GSL,

Is she riding from Colorado? If she is she's tougher than I am :evil If you're going to trailer the bikes down the ride back to Del Rio would be about 300 or so miles.
  18. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    LOL :rofl

No, she would ride down in the comfort of her pickup. Actually, that's a logistics thing I've yet to work out. Where to safely park the truck for a couple days and how the loop would be on her bike.

She works for El Paso Gas, so it's probably just a matter of finding an branch office or pump facility nearby in either Presidio or Del Rio.
  19. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'm sure she could park the truck at my favorite motel, The Western, in Del Rio. Otherwise, there are privately run parking lots near the border with security.
  20. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Sounds cool! Hey, thanks for those insurance links! :beer

I'm trying to navigate thru them right now, but can't find the options for motorcycles. Did you use the website? Or just call them?

Nevermind. I found the toll free number. I'll just call them at 8.