Back way to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by txhardcore, Jan 7, 2003.

1. IronDawg

IronDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'm a newby to the list. Bought an '01 GS in Dec. and looking for folks to ride with in the dirt. I've got a trip planned to Big Bend Mar 13-16. Did y'all decide when you're leaving? If it's the same time, maybe we can meet in Del Rio.

Question about tires. Has anyone tried Dunlop Trailmax 604s?
  2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the list Irondawg! :super Unfortunately, I can't make it that week you're going, but maybe the other guys can if that works out better for them. Last I heard we're still trying for next weekend, Jan 18-19.

Ant ware and GSAdven, I just talked to my insurance agent (State Farm) and she said that I'm covered up to 50 miles from the Mexico/US border. I asked if that meant 50 miles from the border gate, or 50 miles from the border, all along the border as the crow flies, and explained that we were riding a route that parallels the border. She said "as the crow flies". That said, the route we're taking is all within a 50 mile buffer and I'm covered by State Farm.

She also said that there is no paperwork to be issued from her, and that it is not treated the same as a trip to Canada. So the question is, who in Mexico is gonna be checking what paperwork and how do I confirm that there is not going to be a problem? Any thoughts?

I still need to confirm with BMW Financial that State Farm has me covered but there is no specific paperwork. Maybe BMW can provide the paperwork I need for the Mexican officials. Correct me if I'm wrong, they're looking for stolen bikes with this paper search? Or is this just a bribe game?

Also, I don't want to limit us with the 50 mile thing. If you want options to go deeper south, I'll go ahead and get additional insurance. But I sure would hate to pay top dollar if we're only gonna go 10 miles further for a few brief miles.

I also talked to my BMW service guy and the bike will be ready before next Thursday.

So, I guess I'm kinda good to go for next weekend. The only decision I'm waiting on is my wife's vacation request from work.

BTW, don't let my schedule sway you if the whole thing is too quick. I'll be just as happy going down there and playing around in Big Bend for a few days, staying on the U.S. side. It wouldn't hurt to scope out the area a little bit and then do a bigger trip next year.

It's all good!
  3. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    BMW may...could....might.. try to limit you to 50 miles in their letter. That could be a problem. The permit issued by the Mexicans will allow access to the whole country. They may not want to issue the permit without permission from BMW to access the entire country. Oh, and by the way, I failed to mention this earlier but the letter has to be notarized.

Mexico wants to see the title and the letter from your leinholder along with a major credit card. You're posting a bond promising you will remove the vehicle from Mexico before the expiration date on the permit. They don't want you selling the vehicle in Mexico. Not unlike every other country on the planet, they want the income from imported vehicles.

We could make a fast trip down to Copper Canyon but we'd all regret it later. The place deserves at least 3-5 days.

Another issue might be your wife's bike. I believe the Mexicans only allow one vehicle per person. Is the bike in her name? If not, you might have to provide a notarized letter from you giving her permission to take the bike into Mexico. Speculation on my part.
  4. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Wife's bike is in her own name and title in hand.

However, I hadn't planned to pay off the GS until April/May of this year. It's starting to sound like next weekend is too soon for me to prepare for a border crossing. Damn. :mad:

I guess what I really mean is, next weekend is too soon to COUNT ON getting everything in order. It could still happen. I just hate making plans and then bailing on y'all at the last minute because of something unforeseen.

I've looked over the calendar trying to squeak another opportunity out but it looks bad until April. :cry

Maybe I'll just go to Big Bend (U.S.) next weekend as originally planned.
  5. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I should know today about the paperwork, I'm still up for it whether the paperwork thing comes through or not. The areas so remote I think police exposure would be minimal, and then there's always the plead ignorance pay the bribe route.
  6. AntWare

Oddometer:
    I can get the insurance, $46.32 for 3 days, whole country. BMW will fax me the letter as soon as I fax them the insurance details. If this is definately on let me know and I'll get the ball rolling.

GSL, if you need any phone numbers etc let me know, Iv'e got the fax number for a fella at BMW financial (assuming thats who you used) so it will save you the hassle of going through their automated answering service.
  7. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Looks like I can get insured for whole country for $38 for 3 days. Ant ware, thanks. I've been in contact with BMW Financial and have a rep working with me. I too can make this happen, all via fax, by next week.

I'm trying to get ahold of my wife for a final decision from her. As I told GSAdven in a PM, she's been in contact with some of her co-workers that work the pipeline down in that area. Lots of horror stories about security. :huh

More info coming shortly...

GSAdven? How about you? :ear
  8. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Ok, finally got ahold of her. She's nervous about the camping out on the Mexico side.

There's a border crossing into Big Bend National Park, and it happens to be roughly halfway between Presidio and Del Rio. Would if be possible to start in Del Rio Sunday morning, camp out Sunday night on the U.S. side, then go back into Mexico on Monday morning and finish the leg to Presidio? Actually, if we did that, we could drop our truck and spare gas in Big Bend on Saturday and fill up the tanks at camp. (I'm assuming that the U.S. side in Big Bend is fairly safe, or is that a nieve assumption from the guy in fairy tale land).

GSAdven? Any chance we could call you at home tonight to discuss?

You know, it's funny. I ain't skeered a no trails. :lift

But this talk of security and guns and stuff has me a bit worried. (yeah, I'm a woose... :rolleyes )

:defend :shoot :gun1 :gun2
  9. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    It's only legal to cross back into the US at official border crossings. That rule was not enforced prior to 911 but now they're putting people into jail. Mind you...in an emergency I'm crossing back over. I can only hope this country has not become THAT unreasonable. I know several accessible crossings in the Rio Grande. I've canoed about 200 miles of the Rio Grande in the Big Bend. With that said, the area is so remote we could camp in areas only the coyote know. In my opinion, being hijacked at a camp site is the least of our worries. My major concerns are the trail, running out of gas, and of course....whether this route will actually be worth all this effort. I don't know ANYONE who has gone this way. All I know is that the Mexican Ranchers say it's possible.
  10. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Hey Razor, the bike's all back together and the knee is still behaving properly! :1drink The shop is currently doing the 6K service and inspecting my workmanship on the repairs. My doctor thinks I'm crazy.

Anyone else trash their bike at 2,700 miles? :ear :rofl

Yup, yup, I got an air compressor for the bike. :):
  11. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    So that's not an official crossing into Big Bend? I just bought some maps at the map shop and the symbol is the same going into Big Bend as is it crossing into Del Rio or Presidio. But alas, I don't know the area and have only maps to rely on at this point.... :(:
  12. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Oh, and another point. When you hear rumors of crime in Mexico you should ask the source if he or she has ever been to Mexico and whether or not they themselves were victimized. The answer to both questions is almost always, "No." Being in the crime business I know that last night 4 persons were robbed at gunpoint for their cars within 10 miles of my house. (I live in the nice part of Houston. No, really I do.)

When hearing tales of crime in Mexico I almost always resort to an event that occurred in Puerto Vallarta. I took only two days to drive my KLR from Houston to Puerto Vallarta. I arrived exhausted and hungry. (I was meeting my wife there and I wanted to make sure I was around to meet her plane.) Shortly after my arrival, (after dark,) I went to a small cafe near my hotel and ate. After leaving I decided I needed to see the beach and began walking in the direction of the beach. After traveling approximately 4 blocks I heard someone running up behind me. I grabbed my knife inside my pocket and prepared for battle. To my surprise it was the cafe owner with my wallet. I'd left it at my table. The wallet contained about 4,000 Pesos or $400. The cafe owner was my new best friend in Puerto Vallarta. Wonderful man...wonderful family.
  13. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Well, I called the park. There is no crossing into Mexico from within the park boundaries.

On security,
    I guess we all have different comfort levels for different activities. I live in a place where we think about our personal security about once every,,, well, ok never (obvious, from the fact that we took in your seven exscaped convicts a couple years ago as if they were long lost cousins :rofl ). So when the topic comes up, it usually rattles our feathers. Yet, I've seen a grown man cry, clinging to the side of a cliff 600 feet above the ground as I casually helped him set up a rappel to get back down to earth.

14. AntWare

Oddometer:
    What he didn't tell you is that coyotes are heavily armed illegal alien smugglers..... :):

Big Bend is desolate on a Texas sized scale. It's hard to imagine anywhere outside of Alaska that is so far off the beaten path.

We crossed over one time years ago around Santa Elena, there was an old man with a makeshift raft that he pulled by hand along a rope stretched across the river.
  15. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity... The $43 and $38 dollar rate quotes: Are those for liability only? Comp? Coll?
  16. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    My $38 quote was for theft and $100,000 liability.
  17. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Same here, apparently the aluminium Adventures are worth more :rofl
  18. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Are we still going at this point? Just wondering?
  19. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Did you see on the map that we could, if we cared to venture, drive right into Santa Elena as well as Boquillas? I know there's gas in Boquillas. Well...this was when tourists could cross into Mexico at that point... May not be any more.

Oh, and speaking of gas, make sure you guys bring some Octane Booster in the event we run into some regular unleaded. I've been using "The Outlaw" by Pennzoil because I like the size and toughness of the container. Supposed to improve the octane by 10. I would however locktite the lids. I had one leak on my last trip.
  20. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    We're in! :thumb I figure we got until this Monday morning to work out the details on where and when to meet and what days to put on the insurance. I'm thinking Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

We've got Monday and Tuesday off. We can be in Del Rio or Presidio by noon Saturday.

GSAdven, sorry I missed your call. Please try again. If I don't pick up, please leave your #.

Cheers!