Back way to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by txhardcore, Jan 7, 2003.

1. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I'm still in, we just need to sort out then when and wheres.
  2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Ant ware,

GSAdven and I chatted a bit on the phone last night. How does this sound?

We meet in Del Rio at around noon on Saturday. Get our paperwork taken care of and head on in to Mexico that afternoon. We'll have about 5-6 hours of daylight, so we could probably make it 80 miles across. That'll give us all day Sunday to get to Presidio and all day Monday for Big Bend on the US side. Use Tuesday for getting home.

As a fall back, we just hang out in Del Rio Saturday afternoon and take off real early on Sunday morning. With the extra time we may be able to get some local info on the route (maps, talk to locals, etc.) Ride all day Sunday and camp out short of Presidio, (although it doesn't actually look good for camping close to Presidio, if it's a road, maybe just ride in the dark). Finish the ride to Presidio on Monday morning and have a short day in Big Bend. The big downside to the backup plan is that we might get caught in the dark on the way back to Del Rio. Lots of deer to watch out for.

GSAdven, I think you mentioned logging roads on the phone last night. Is part of the route wooded? Or all high desert scrub? Any idea? I'm trying to determine if a hammock could be strung up in the trees for sleeping up off the ground. I'm not planning on packing a tent, just a gore-tex bivvy sack and sleeping bag.

:ear
  3. AntWare

Oddometer:
    The first plan sounds perfect, I'd rather spend as little time as possible in Del Rio. If for some reason we can't make it all the way across (impassable) It'll give us more time to find an alternate or back track.
    Has GSAdven designated a meeting place, it sounds as though he knows the area.
  4. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    He had not picked a place yet. :ear

We've got a snowstrom moving in late next week so Jen and I are going to be trucking both bikes down. I'm gonna be looking for a safe place to leave the truck, like a paid security parking lot or that hotel he mentioned, The Western.

I'm also plotting out a lat long course to plug into the GPS so that we can get a fairly accurate mileage estimate by today.

GSAdven, can you recall the last place you encountered gas heading west from Del Rio? Looks to be some small towns, San Miguel, Santo Toribio and Escobedo.
  5. AntWare

Oddometer:
    How deep is Santa Elena, 1000'+ ?

On a side note, do you know of anybody that has tried the low octane code plug? I don't think there available in the US but I can probably get one from England
  6. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I meant the village of Santa Elena...don't think we can drive into the canyon.

I don't know anything about the low octane plug...sorry..
  7. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I just did a fairly detailed Lat/Long excercise and came up with about 28 data points. The route from Del Rio to Presidio is right at 299 miles. If either of you have a GPS, I can send you the waypoint file.

I've gone 305 miles on a tank before on my GS, but that was spending most of the day on dirt roads above 8000 feet elevation. We tend to get better gas mileage at altitude. I don't really know what my range is at lower elevations. Also, 305 GS odometer miles is really only about 287 real (GPS) miles, correcting for odo error. I was definitely running on fumes when I finally got to a gas station that day, although I never heard my fuel pump get any louder.

I wonder if there's any way to confirm a gas station in Boquillas. That's pretty close to data point #10 on the attached image.

[​IMG]

Update:
    I have been able to confirm gas in Rio Grande village, on the US side at the Boquillas crossing. Not sure how any officials in the area would feel about us "carrying" gas across the border in the row boats that are available. :scratch

On a side note, I've come across several Internet stories and apparently one of the touristy things to do while in Big Bend is to take the row boat over into Boquillas for tacos and a cantina crawl! :1drink Beer! Tacos! Now all we need is gas! Unless, of course, the tacos are REALLY BAD... :rofl
  8. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Looks like were both using Garmin, I'll take those from you mate, thanks
  9. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Hummm.....not really. I know they used to store gas for the area ranchers. I would assume that hasn't changed. There are other opportunities. I believe Manuel Benevides is going to be the largest village we pass through and there are other towns and ranches.

I'm still not all that concerned. During my off road travels in Sinola, Durango, and Chihuahua, I was able to find plenty of gas in the small villages. It was just a matter of asking. All that gas was obtained from 50 gallon drums. Many of the village stores and ranches stockpile gas. I feel confident we will find gas.

In addition, the road from Manuel Benevides to Ojinaga is fairly well traveled. Once on that road, if we were out of gas, we could easily hitch a ride to Ojinaga or beg for gas.

With all that said, we could also haul two one gallon plastic containers on the bikes.

Chances are very good that it would not be necessary to leave the planned route unless we decided the diversion would interesting.

I believe Border Patrol put a stop to the illegal crossing at Boquillas. It is possible to contact the store at Rio Grande Village and simply ask... It's about a 5 mile walk or hitch from the river to the store.

La Linda and Santa Elena are other possible crossings but there is no gas.
  10. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Del Rio is a fairly large town. We've got several choices. I may get a motel room, at the Western, there Friday night and do my paperwork in advance to speed up the process. We could meet at my motel room. Check out time is 12:00 noon so we'd need to meet at 11:00 or so. If that's too early there are many restaurants and even a Honda dealership on highway 90. The Western is on highway 90 in approx the center of town. There's a KFC directly across the street.
  11. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I missed this in my last response. I wouldn't count on there being any trees.
  12. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    WESTERN MOTEL - 1203 Ave. F, Del Rio, TX 78840 830/774-4661. Ave F is also Highway 90.

The secondary site might be the Kentucy Fried Chicken across the street.

Attached Files:

13. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Zoomed out.

Attached Files:

14. CJ Rider

CJ Rider Little Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there. CJ here. Yup, we'll meet ya at the Western at 11:00. 'Figured I should register here and say hello. We're putting some fresh rubber on the DR200 tonight in preparation. 'Looking forward to this ride! Seeyabye.
  15. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can't cross at La Linda anymore. The bridge was closed last year. I was there last spring and found a large barricade to prevent any traffic either way. There was a story in the Odessa paper last year about attempts to get the bridge re-opened, but nothing has been done so far.
  16. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Skinny, thanks for that info! :thumb
  17. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, here's our latest plan.

We're gonna drive as far as Fort Stockton on Friday night. Leave the truck there, ride the bikes down to Del Rio Saturday morning and meet y'all. That way, we don't have to back track all the way down to Del Rio again on Monday to pick up the truck. So our final destination on Monday night is gonna be Fort Stockton. And that will give us all day to play around in Big Bend.
  18. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Welcome CJ..... I have a feeling you'll be running circles around the GSs. Here's a picture of the Sierra Del Carmens, the range we'll hopefully cross. (Or at the very least drive around.) The picture doesn't do them justice. IRL short pine trees are visible on the top.

Attached Files:

19. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Yep. Took this pic just a few weeks ago. Shame too 'cause it kills several quick ride options for folks staying near, and exploring the Big Bend area...

Attached Files:

20. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Just below the bridge in the picture is a low water crossing made of concrete. Possible escape route if absolutely necessary. If that's not possible for some reason the Heath Ranch is just upriver. They might be able to assist.