Back way to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by txhardcore, Jan 7, 2003.

1. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'm bringing a slightly portable bead breaker. Weighs a lot...but, better safe than sorry..
  2. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    GSAdven, as soon as I get my bike back from the shop, I'll pack it up and let you know if I can carry that spare rear tire or not. I'm also carrying a couple tire spoons (however, I have no idea if they're stout enough for the Tourance) and a handful of plugs.

BTW, nice pic! :thumb
  3. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll have to get a jump on it Friday night. I'll probably ride down to San Antonio Friday night after work and meet you at the Western Saturday am. I'm still up in the air whether to bring the tent or not, It's supposed to be right at freezing during the night but 32F with humidity and wind chill will probably feel like high teens, low 20's. I've got a tent that can accomodate us all, what's your thinking?

To cut down on redundent packing who's taking what with regards to food, cooking equipment etc.

I'll get the insurance/lienholder documentation sorted out today.

BTW it looks like the weather will be fantastic during the day, low 60's, can't wait.
  4. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I was also wondering about tents. The weather looks great and I think Saturday is a full moon. It's tempting to just sleep out under the stars (in a goretex bivy sack). But I wonder about critters...

If I don't carry a tent, I have a better chance of carrying a spare tire.

As for food, we're going cookless. Lots of Power Bars, Starbucks Doubleshots, and water. With the seemingly permanent ban on campfires here in CO, we've really gotten used to no cooking.
  5. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'm going cookless too. I snore so I'm bringing what is essentially a one man tent. (Good for one fat guy like me.) There's too many potential critters for my likes. I've found scorpions under my tent, in that area, on more than one occasion. The scorpions in that area are cousins to the scorpions in the Sahara. They're instantly lethal. The victim usually has one to two seconds before death to say, "Oh shit!" Okay, well.....that's not true, but...
  6. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Ant? If you wouldn't mind bringing a tent that could accomodate me and CJ, I will leave mine at home and I'll have room to bring along a spare tire. Between the scorpions, tarantulas, rattle snakes and coyotes, I think a tent is a good idea if we won't have any trees to string up hammocks.

BTW, BMW Financial Customer Service rocks! :thumb I sent in my request for a Mexico permit at 9am and they faxed back my permit by noon. They also said that the original notarized copy would be overnighted to me by tomorrow.
  7. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I got my insurance, certificate of title, and letter from BMW financial, today. I'm also ready to go as far as the paperwork goes. All I need now is tires. Dropping the bike off tomorrow at the lucky area dealer who happens to have tires.
  8. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I bought a foldable shovel to search for water in dry creek beds if necessary. GSL if you're confident in your purification equipment I may leave my home. I don't think there's any reason to bring two of either of the above two items.

Does anybody do coffee? I don't normally drink coffee but for some reason it tastes wonderful in the bush. Anyone bringing a stove and a pot?
  9. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    Consider it done.

Faxed the insurance details to BMW this afternoon, should see something tomorrow, very helpful people.

GSAdven, which tyres did you decide to go with?
  10. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Well...if the TKCs are available....I'm going with them because of this trip.
  11. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'd recommend a broad rimmed cloth hat and suntan lotion in the event we do some walking. Because of this post it should be overcast and raining for the entire trip.
  12. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    FYI.... We should encounter 2-3 military check points during our journey. We could possibly get searched at all of them. Based on what I've heard....the Army isn't bribable. With that said I don't fear them. They have always been very professional and polite. Some even agreed to pose for pictures

Attached Files:

13. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I'll bring my water filter if that's ok. It's a ceramic Katadyn which is total overkill, but better safe than sorry. :puke1 It's approved by the orld Health Organization, among many others.

As much as I love a good cup of HOT coffee, I hate carrying all the things necessary to make it. That's why we're just bringing cans of Startbucks Doubleshots. :1drink
  14. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    AND??

I got a letter from them. No certificate of title though. Do you mean registration?
  15. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I just thought I would chime in and tell you that I am getting a vicarious thrill out of your trip preparations, and hope to get them same from your actual adventure. As a new member to this site, with a new to me KLR that I am currently setting up, what ya'll are doing is exactly why I'm here. I only wish I could go on this trip, but next time, I want in!!! Thanks
  16. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    You need a title or a certified letter with title information. Basically, a printout from your local Department of transportation with vital facts on your vehicle with a letter certifying the information on the printouts is correct.
  17. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Hey, I'm going to Guatemala in May with three other KLRs. You're welcome to join us.
  18. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    :rofl heh heh, with GSAdven teaching me everything there is to know about going south, you could just about turn this thread into a cookbook.

Hey, I'm also bringing a gas pump/siphon hose.
  19. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Great idea...in the event we have to consolidate remaining gas.
  20. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Another army pic

Attached Files: