Back way to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by txhardcore, Jan 7, 2003.

1. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I looked up all of the requirements on the U.S. State Department website. It makes no mention of this, and instead refers you to use your state vehicle registration. This is good because my local CDOT is notoriously unhelpful. Nevertheless, I will try to obtain the documents that you mentioned. However, I'm sure that when I go in to ask for this, the unhelpful lady behind the counter will look at me like a cow at a passing train...

http://travel.state.gov/mexico.html
  2. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Registration won't work. I could have swore you told me you had a title?
  3. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    When I posted "Title in hand", that for for my wife's bike, which is paid off.

On the GS, BMW Financial holds the title until the loan is paid off. They always have. How is it you have the title if BMW has your loan?

:scratch
  4. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Texas used to issue a Non negotiable duplicate of the orginal title. I thought I had one for the R1150GS. I was wrong. I went to the DOT today to find they no longer issue duplicate titles. Therefore the need for the printout and letter from DOT. I can send you a copy if you like..
  5. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    The "printout" is just basically a copy of the registration with the state seal. The letter from the DOT certifies the registration.
  6. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I'll get on the horn first thing tomorrow and see what CDOT says.
  7. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    As of Dec. 1, 2002

"Driving in the Rest of the Country

If you plan to take a vehicle south of the border zone, or outside of Sonora or Baja, you must obtain a temporary vehicle imporation permit at the border.

• UPDATE • December 1, 2002

The Mexican BANJERCITO is now accepting vehicle permit applications on-line. Visit their website at https://www.banjercito.com.mx/iitv/index_en.htm. Here you will find English instructions and requirements for obtaining your permit. You can then go through the registration process on-line by clicking the link at the bottom.

Here are the document requirements as listed on the BANJERCITO page:

Documentation which credits your migratory condition. For legal mexican residents: Definite or Temporary Residence Card; Work Permit (in which you are authorized to work inside te USA for at least a year); or Naturalization Certificate including your Double Citizenship Letter. For tourists: Passport; Birth Certificate; Sworn Statement; Naturalization Certificate; or Voter's Registration.

Vehicle Ownersip Certificate; Registration; or Lessor Contract.

Personal Driver's License (not required).

Payment of the corresponding fee (USD$22.00 plus TAX).

Payment of guarantee for the return of the vehicle by international credit or debit card forwarded abroad under the importer's name, or by making a guarantee deposit. The amount for this will be determined by the vehicle's model and will de refunded upon reentry to the USA. (1999-2002 models, USD$400.00; 1994-1998 models, USD$300.00; models previous to 1994, USD$200.00).

Given the case of being a tourist, additional to all previous documentation, you must present the FMT migration form which will be handed out at migration offices located at the border.

Document in proof for the return of any previously imported vehicle."
  8. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Actually, it looks as though we can use that website and the permit is available in 24 hours and for up to 15 days. If you know Spanish, can you tell if that website is legit?

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/iitv/index_en.htm

Might also speed up the process for Saturday... :scratch
  9. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I've always understood that you need more than your registration. I've attached a copy of the letter generated by TX DOT on my behalf.

Attached Files:

10. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Hummm... I just did the web page thing. It does say registration is good enough. That's new to me.. I'd like to think I was wrong. Registration would be much easier.
  11. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    So did it look legit enough to enter Passport info and Visa card numbers and stuff? I can kinda sorta make out some of the words in the pulldown menus...

I'd hate to get burned by a scam website that I found doing a simple yahoo search.
  12. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I don't think it was asking for a Visa credit card number if that's what you're asking. I think it's legit. I notice it added my mother's maiden name to the end of my name. Hope they don't want my ID to match.

What type of ID are you using for your tourist permit?
  13. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Well, I guess I'll have to wait until Saturday to get my permit paperwork started. That website wouldn't accept the year 2013 as the expiration date on my Driver's License. It also didn't have the U.S. of A. in the country list. I was trying to use the pasaporte option for a turista.
  14. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    GSAdven, I have my Title Application Receipt from TxDOT which names me as the owner but BMW as the lienholder. I found this Q&A session on TxDOT's website.

"Question: I financed my car and the lien was recorded, but I have not received a title yet.
    Answer: When a lien is recorded on a title, the Texas Certificate of Title is mailed to the 1st lienholder. The Title Application Receipt you received after the title was applied for serves as your proof of registration and as proof that a title was applied for to record you as the owner of the vehicle. "

Is this the document you were talking about earlier?
    Will this and a letter from BMW get us across the border?
  15. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I learned Monday that Texas does not issue a pink Duplicate of Original Title any longer. It was my understanding that either you needed a title or a certified copy of the registration. Something issued by your local Texas DOT for a mere $3.25. According to BANJERCITO's web site, (The Mexican agency that issues your vehicle permit,) a copy of the registration would suffice. Now, I don't know...perhaps the rules have changed. Perhaps something was lost in Banjercito's English translation. Beats me... I'd opt for the most convincing document. In lieu of an actual title I'd attempt to obtain the certified copy of your registration. But, that's just me.... I'm slightly paranoid.

Your local DOT office is located at

(972) 417-0884
    1925 E. BELTLINE ROAD, SUITE 100
    CARROLLTON, TX 75006

There's another in Ft Worth at:

(817) 649-5938
    910 N. WATSON ROAD
    ARLINGTON, TX 76011-5260
  16. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    The Mexican government just recently waved the $22.00 tourist permit fee for stays under 8 days. Now, we'll each have a whole $22.00 burning a hole in our pockets. Well....shucks....there won't be any place to spent it where we're going.
  17. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Maybe we should take that $22 and just keep going to Tijuana.......:):
  18. AntWare

Oddometer:
  19. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I got my letter of permission from BMW to enter Mexico. All they sent was the permission letter.
  20. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'm having some TKCs installed in San Antonio. Tires taken off another Adventure before the new owner took possession. Sold them to me for $200 plus installation. I'm leaving here Friday morning and stopping in San Antonio for the tires. I should be in Del Rio by evening.