Back way to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by txhardcore, Jan 7, 2003.

1. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    All I got from BMW was the letter. However, it was very specific about the bike, including model, dates of crossing and VIN#. I have printed out the banjercito webpage and highlighted each document that I am bringing, one for each bullet in the list. If that website is "official", I don't know how they can refuse my CO state registration.

I had a rough day at work yesterday and didn't get to Teller County licensing before they closed. I'll try again today.

I did however, pick up my bike! :evil :slurp

What about maps? I have each tile printed out in color from GSAdven's original Mexico map website. Do y'all want a color copy?
  2. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'm good....I have a B&W copy that's good enough..
  3. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Ok, I think I'm all set on paperwork. Got the lady to print out a duplicate registration (she wouldn't type up the Texas-like letter) and then she dated, signed and sealed it with a CO seal.

If that doesn't work, then I wasn't meant to go to Mexico. :flush
  4. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I went down to the DOT today and got the letter but I'm still waiting on the letter from BMW, they're trying to fax it and email it but for some reason it's not getting out. Maybe I'll get the one they mailed out Monday before the weekend, fingers crossed.
  5. Patrick

Patrick Grenouille

Oddometer:
    Maybe this is a redundant post but check out Regional forums - Spring Break. We have potentially 5 to 10 individuals going for 4 days in March; all on GSs.
  6. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well my only-slightly negative post on the other thread about this trip sure has got you guys spooked. After I thought about it, I reckon y'all should probably go ahead and try it.
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Hell, it sounds like a terrific adventure. Like I said, that route has been buggin' me for decades. I'd be tempted to join you, but all leave has been canceled where I work while our esteemed Legislature is in session. I'd rather be freezin' my ass off on the road.

You buggers sure as hell better file a full report, with plenty of pictures. Especially of those GS's in the sand. Oh yeah, I just remembered: be sure to take some rope. Really. One of the basic tools for this kind of endeavor.

Vaya con Dios, and be safe. Bastards.
  7. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'm sure I'm stating the obvious here...but I'll say it anyway. Those in the know about the desert recommend one gallon of water per day. I'm packing 2.5 days worth of water. My experience tells me we won't consume that much considering the daytime temps will be from 50-70 F and not 115 F. Water obviously would be a much larger issue than food if the trip were to drag on more than 2.5 days. On the other hand we will pass through occupied villages. Water should be available.
  8. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Must have missed that one old ship of the desert which thread was it in?
  9. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Gosh, sounds like we're ready to go. Now, I do hope that I make it to San Antonio on my already balding tires. I can always, reluctantly have it towed should those nasty threads start showing. Guess I'll have to keep it under 80 mph.

We should exchange cell phone numbers. GSL, you should already have mine. My phone and voice mail will be on in my tank bag until we leave Texas. West of Del Rio there's not a whole lot of cell service.

Ant, I'm probably going to be at the Western in Del Rio early Friday evening. I may go over the border and have dinner and a few cocktails. Let me know you're interested in coming along. A single room is about $30 with tax. GSL it sounds like you'll be in transit at that time..
  10. AntWare

Oddometer:
    I'm working Friday, I'll probably leave Dallas around 5pm after work. Depending on the traffic in Austin, I'd like to get close to San Antonio, maybe New Braunfels. That'll leave me with a short ride Saturday morning to meet up in Del Rio. Bikes ready to go, changed fluids Monday night, will pack gear tonight and get ready for the off.
  11. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    My cell # is 719-651-8002.

I'm bringing a THICK piece of rope. I keep looking at my Tourances with only 2K on them and going "man, those sure look bald compared to the Karoos I had on there". :huh With rope, I could always wrap the tire and get some temporary tread if I need it. :evil
  12. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I like to bring parachute cord. I once built a boat out of parachute cord and duct tape. Okay, well...that's not true....but I did repair a fiberglass canoe that kinda sorta got broken in half in a rapid in the Lower Canyons... The canoe made the remaining 35 miles thus saving our sorry behinds.

On a brighter note I went to the office tonight to find one subpoena for Friday and two for Tuesday. Never fails. I'm going to have to so some serious groveling in the morning. In any case I'm still coming. If I have to be in court, I'll just have to ride like hell to be home Tuesday morning.
  13. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Ok MacGyver, one time in band cap I.... :rofl :rofl

Seriously though, good luck on the tires and the court stuff. :thumb We'll see ya Saturday morning at the hotel. If the westTex winds really whip up and we're running late, we'll look for you at the KFC across the street.

:drums
  14. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Ok, I gotta fess up and say that I've never actually changed out a tubeless tire. I've plugged one, but I was conveniently located next to a gas station with an industrial strength air compressor. I've done many a tube-type tire, but that doesn't really help.

I'm considering trying this tonight, and since I want to try it anyway, switching out my Tourances back to the Karoos that are still in pretty good shape (and bring the Tourance as a spare).

Anyway, my question is:

I assume you need a good healthy jolt of air at the start to get the bead to seat. My little air compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter does not have this. Does one of those little CO2 cartridges have enough initial uumph to seat the bead?

I want to practice as if this was combat/trailside, with no compressor.

Also, anything particular to know about that rim and the spokes?

:ear
  15. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    It's been a while for me. Back in the day we used to cinch a rope around the circumference of the tire causing the tire to compress onto the rim thus spreading and sealing the bead prior to inflation. I bet a small winch strap would work a lot better than a rope.

Maybe somebody who actually knows what they're talking about will chime in..
  16. AntWare

Oddometer:
    Spray the bead of the tyre with WD40, the CO2 cartridges do give a pretty good shot but it's not very long lived. I've never tried to use one to seat a new tyre.
  17. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
  18. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On changing tires, see:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11660

and check out http://www.cycoactive.com/mc/trail_tips/ctiw.html

And Mr. Ant, that thread was, um, uh....here it is, Formaldehyde1's Big Bend, hijacked by the rest of us...
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11047

Uh, anything else I can do for you?:1drink

Don't say I didn't warn you. Y'all are gonna freeze, get hassled by the federales AND the INS, crash, break yer shiny new bikes, get the turista, starve, flat your tires, sleep on rocks, probbily run out of gas while you're totally lost. It's gonna snow in the mountains, you know. You'll hit the deep sand right after you top off the tanks. Y'all have questionable (at best) judgment and this trip is wholly ill-advised. Wish I were goin'.
  19. AntWare

Oddometer:
    I'd like to say there's a teeny weeny hint of jealousy in there somewhere... but I can't, it is damn well blatant jealously:):

I'm sure we'll have a one to remember, we'll post the piccies.

If anybody tries to derail me on my way through Austin on Friday night you're the first suspect :rofl

thanks for the link:thumb
  20. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    I'm supposed to wash the GS? I thought it was a dirt bike?