Back way to Big Bend?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by txhardcore, Jan 7, 2003.

1. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Oh wait. I still gotta take that damn windshield off....
  2. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And they say that you can't take it with you. :confused :evil
  3. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Well, I decided not to try changing tires the night before the trip. Don't wanna tempt fate too much.:rofl

So, I guess I'm stuck trying this ride on my Tourances. Hope I don't live to regret that decision. I did fashion up some temporary sand paddles out of a piece of rope. Looks like it could damage the spokes if the rope moves around. But, it would work for a short stretch, in a pinch.

Ant Ware, what did you decide on for tires?

[​IMG]
  4. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Well...I'm off...See you there..
  5. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    I'm on Tourances. I think most of our riding will be on fire roads and loose rock type trails. My main concern with the T'rances was if it got wet and we ran into any snotty trails, but I don't think that's going to happen. I don't think sand will be an issue but I could be wrong. I just hope the tyres don't get too cut up on the rocks, I've got a long ride home.

What time are you fella's heading out?

If you get a chance could you PM me GSAdven's mobile number etc. I forgot to get it from him and he's probably on the road already
  6. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving work at 9am, and we're getting on the road at around noon. I've got his number in my pack at home. I'll send it to ya before lunch.

I'm not too worried about the tires getting cut up by rocks. I'm pretty sure the rubber on the Tourances is harder than the rubber on the TKCs or the Karoos. I've had both of those tires in some seriously sharp, rocky, nasty knife-blabe terrain here in CO. They were fine.

:evil
  7. Arch

Arch Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer:
    Here's wishing you guys a safe & fun adventure!
    :beer
    Looking forward to pics & stories...

:thumb
  8. hpracer

hpracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you guys already make the trip, or can I still make the ride. I live in Roswell and have a GS Adventure.

Let me know
  9. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Sorry hpracer,
    We just got back. Currently working on writing up the trip report....
  10. hpracer

hpracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I see now that I had been following the Spring Break to Big Ben thread, and reading back on this one I see you had a lot of quick planning and extra paper work to do.

I'll pay more attention next time.

Thanks for the reply and I'll be waiting to hear how the trip went.

Do you think it was worth all the extra prepreration to go into Mexico, or would the dirt roads on this side have been good riding too?

Pat:
  11. CJ Rider

CJ Rider Little Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about this question a bit... I think it was DEFINITELY worth every bit of extra preparation to go into Mexico. It's more than just the ride itself. Yeah, we could have had a nice ride on this side of the border, but we wouldn't have had the same adventure. I dunno how to explain it. There's all the stories you hear about heading south of the border, and then there's what you actually experience. 'WAY different and better than I thought. Plus it's FANTASTIC riding!!! It just takes more preparation than usual so that you're ready for whatever, because you're seriously on your own at times out there.
  12. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    I'm curious why you would go back to the KLR insted of the GS more than likely weight I guess. I'm in Houston and also would be interested in the trip. We tried the Ima Jean pass in Colorado this past summer out of Telluride and found it a bit much weight wise for the GS...

The Dude
  13. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    I'm curious why you would go back to the KLR insted of the GS more than likely weight I guess. I'm in Houston and also would be interested in the trip. We tried the Ima Jean pass in Colorado this past summer out of Telluride and found it a bit much weight wise for the GS...

The Dude
  14. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    We've already made the trip. Wonderful trip. My opinion of the GS and BMW may have improved. All three GSs seemed to love the abuse. I think of it now as a two wheeled Humvee with the ability to cross hostile terrain while hauling a significant load. Now, if it would only run on a lower grade fuel.
  15. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    Ant...GSL...CJ.....Just wondering if you felt we were under prepared or over prepared in any particular area? Would you get the permits again even though no one ever asked for them? Any additional equipment or any equipment you would have left behind?
  16. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:

I'm not sure about the vehicle import permits. We never ran into any police so I don't know if that's the type of thing they look out for or not. My guess is that most of them would probably blow it off anyway but it's cheap peace of mind.

Going in we didn't know what to expect so we were carrying a few "just in case" items. I packed pretty light but still took some luxuries. I wasn't carrying any extra fuel but had a collapsible can with me. There were a couple of small things I would normally take but didn't because somebody else had indicated they were.
    I think we kept the redundancy down to a minimum.

Although the Tourances worked a lot better than I expected, they were a little too loose on some of the fast marbel'y switchback stuff. The only way I could get it to steer was to stand up, lean all the way over the bars and use the throttle to steer with the rear. I lost the front quite a few times crossing from one wheel path to the other trying to dodge the dust but never really came close to wrecking. Probably change to TKC's next time though.

I don't know if the humvees at the military checkpoints were gas or diesel. If you could bum gas from those fellas, as many as we went through, you’d have it made.

I took a quick look at the skid plate and it's got some pretty nasty gouges in it. I'll change the oil this weekend and take a better look but I’m betting the centre stand has some damage too. I might look into a skid plate for that and the cat.

Thanks again for getting the ball rolling on that one, I don't think we'd have done it otherwise.

GSL, is there any way you can email me your final track of the trip. I had mine set for kayaking and it was recording way too much data. Once the memory gets full it starts automatically deleting from the beginning so I've lost the first quarter of the trip, thank, Ant
  17. txhardcore

txhardcore KLR A-11

Oddometer:
    GSL, I'd like the way points myself. I don't have a GPS but after this trip I'll have one very soon.. :) (Much to my wife's dismay.)
  18. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'll email the waypoint file to both of you.

On packing:
    If I were to repeat that trip, I would leave the spare tire at home and would probably also prefer the TKC or Karoos. I want to blame the Tourances for me losing it in the sand, but I know better. :):

I also think I should've just bungied my sleeping bag to the rear rack and put everything else in my Chase-Harper pillio pack. A fully loaded Givi tailpack makes the bike not only top heavy, but top-rear heavy. That's why my kickstand gave way at the gas station. It works fine now, without all of that weight on it.

I would do the paperwork again, I should say, I WILL do the paperwork again for the next trip. :1drink
  19. GSL

GSL Team Big Wheel

Oddometer:
    Hey GSAdven and Ant Ware, and all you other midwest and Texas folk.

CJ and I are working on a plan y'all might be interested in. She wants to get her Ironbutt cert but she prefers dirtbiking over street. So... :evil

We're working on a looped route thru Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska. The goal is to ride a SaddleSore 1K (1000 miles in 24 hours) and have (and document) at least 1000 miles of dirt/gravel road. I know, I know, sounds boring, but hey, most Ironbutt roads are just boring interstate riding anyway. Not mine, but most. There are plenty of section-township-range line roads thru these states that are long and straight. It would be pretty easy to average 60 MPH on them, making this a 18-20 hour ride, including stops.

Anway, if we can get the IBA to certify it as 1000 miles of dirt road, I think it would be a first. :drums

Any interest?

:ear
  20. hpracer

hpracer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a challenge, so I'm interested.

I have the Saddle Sore Cert. already and looking to do the 1500 in a day this spring.

I think it would take most all of the 24 hours to do it on dirt, unless you have a lot of smooth straight roads in mind.

Would fuel be a problem on these roads?

Pat:):