backcountry discovery route BDR Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Rtw1day, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Rtw1day

Rtw1day Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the BDR seam to be marking some awesome routes in the states

how are we going to do something similar? with all the knowledge on here I'm sure we could find a way to link all the tracks to create a crossing of our states
    glitch_oz and mcguyver like this.
  2. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    OH man...don't rattle the cage, everyone's happy with TAUT here!

Having ridden some of the US-PNW BDR's years back, it's been some of the best travel/ riding-trips experiences ever.
  3. Rtw1day

Rtw1day Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yeh, the TaT stuff is a bit random
  4. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    They have been asking for someone to take on the TAUT, so put your time where your mouth is and go for it
  5. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:

The US-TAT is actually damn good and coherent ( as a backbone-route) as are the individual US state-BDRs (only rode the early WA/OR/ID parts though, to be fair...the rest weren't even around then)
    TAT and TAUT are NOT the same thing nor anywhere close!!
  6. PeterWebtrax

PeterWebtrax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've done the Washington BDR, which was great, until mate hooked a pine branch, hit the ground and ripped his arm out of the socket. Which cut that trip short!

And yes, they (me) have been asking for someone to take on Taut. There are already a number of long tracks (eg the Bicentennial Trail) on there that could be the base for various BDR rides. But the site would need some extension to handle the extra documentation that really needs to go with the BDR tracks, eg potential fuel & accommodation stops, sights to see, etc. You can put a fair bit of information into the current description field, but it would probably be better if it was tailored for the BDR job.

The tracks can be 'tagged' already, so any BDR tracks could be easily found amongst the hundreds of other tracks.

Buuuttt, I don't have time to work on keeping the current site up and running, let alone making improvements to it. So until we can get some volunteers, it is very unlikely to happen. There's nothing to stop people putting up potential BDR tracks, and the discussion could begin about what route each track should take. That should be fun (and take a few years!).

Cheers
    Pete
    BygDaddee likes this.
  7. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please think very carefully before nominating any of your favourite routes for the masses.

Over the last 20 years I've watched some great trails become essentially out of bounds for motorbike use when the weekend warriors discovered them.

Consider billy goats bluff near Dargo - once a really convenient transport section linking the challenging country to the south with the Wannangatta region, now it's a deadly bull bar dodging exercise because every weekend wanna-bee needs that sticker from the Dargo Store.

Or the blue pools near Briagalong - it got on a " 10 best" website, and is now a crowded dumping ground. Unfortunately word has now spread about the freestone creek track so that's no longer motorbike friendly.

Bruntons bridge campground near Walhalla was recently upgraded and access made easier.....another good access route on the bull bar roulette list.

Lets just stick to the good old route advice post on adv. Earn some credibility , then when you travel to regions unknown other members will be keen to pay back with good route advice
    Dukehunt, Blakduk, toecutta and 14 others like this.
  8. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Well said AT weekend warrior's had best intention but got a lot of riding spots shut down due to the retards ripping up car parks and private roads
    Dukehunt and Dr AT like this.
  9. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.

I passed the notion on to my computer literate son. He was reticent and told me something about learning different languages simultaneously. If I had managed to keep him riding, there may have been a different response. Sorry about that, can't force him.