Backroad Route for San Diego to Phoenix?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by m0to, Jul 25, 2007.

1. m0to

m0to Under the Big Hard Sun

Oddometer:
    Hey gang,
    I'm going to be heading up to the Grand Canyon in September and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good backroad routes to Phoenix from San Deigo. The only way I've gone is out the 8, then up the 85 to the 10. Boooring! :-)

I'd take some dirt roads but I do need to make it up there in a reasonable amount of time.

Suggestions?
  2. IVDesertRat

IVDesertRat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What kind of bike are you riding? From San Diego head to Julian. You no doubt know lots of ways to get there. Take the 78 from Julian toward banner down the mountain.

Just past Banner you will have two choices, turn right and head toward Agua Caliente (I don't know what number road this is but you'll see it) or continue on the 78 through Ocotillo Wells.

In September it should be cool enough to take this route. The Agua Calient road will come out at Ocotillo (not to be confused with Ocotillo Wells) which is right at the I8. From here go straight through Ocotillo and look for the 98 which goes to Calexico.

It's a cool untraveled road that goes right next to Mount Signal. Go through Calexico and the 98 will eventually connect back with the I8 past Holtville somewhere.

From there, I don't know.

If you continue on the 78 through Ocotillo Wells it will come out at the Salton Sea just North of Westmorland and Brawley. Head south toward Brawley and you will have another choice.

Stay on the 78 and head toward Glamis and this will head north toward Blythe where you can connect with the I-10.

From Brawley head south on Hwy 111 which will connect you back to the I8 or just continue on the 111 toward Calexico where you will connect the 98 which I mentioned above.

If you have time and can ride through the desert I can show you some great tracks from Ocotillo Wells through the desert to Calexico, Imperial or El Centro.

Have fun.:1drink
  3. jrandsu

jrandsu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Look up the Bradshaw trail. Goes from Salton Sea to the Colorado River near Palo Verde. Fast dirt/gravel trail with a little sand. Watch out for the bombing range on your right.:evil
  4. RSalvarez

RSalvarez Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi , i read about this trail and i want to try it , any one interested????
  5. CARRERASBAJA

CARRERASBAJA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heard of it and I live close by. The only thing is I dont have a dirtbike or enduro to do it in. Hopefully I can sell my street bike and get my hands on one pretty soon. I would take my quad but that has a short range and has to be trailered out there. Until then I will have to wait.
  6. downtick

downtick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any photos from the ride that you did? I've ridden all through San Diego County, but there is always something new to find. Even in Orange County I still find new things here and there.